“Lovely setting”

Price range: US$21 - US$48
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish
Good for: View, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Ee-usk is a modern glass building sitting right by the water in the busy harbour of Oban.We believe in serving impeccably fresh local seafood cooked simply. We are unable to accommodate children under 12 years of age for dinner.
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We visited this restaurant last evening. We were looking for somewhere with a view and although it looked full decided to see if there was a table for two available. We were told that they were full but to come back in half an hour. We took the precaution of booking even this little while ahead and of turning up a bit early too. This paid off as we were given a window seat from which we could watch the sun go down across the harbour and loch - spectacular. We both had the seafood platter which was excellent having lots of my favourite things on it. Managed to cut myself when the crayfish 'fought back' but was given a nice blue plaster! With a bottle of wine, 1 coffee, a dessert and 1 glass of whisky the bill was £82. Perhaps this seems a bit steep but the setting and such fresh, local seafood do come at a premium. Lovely friendly, attentive service from the waitresses and a great setting made a delightfully evening.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,161)

Reviewed 29 May 2013

My wife and I, who are in our late 60s, arrived at this restaurant and because of the glorious views over the water we decided to try to have lunch there. We had noticed that there were three vacant table 'tables for two' at the front of the restaurant. On arrival at the reception near the entrance we asked the gentleman if we could be seated at one of those three tables. Even though they looked perfectly ready to be occupied us he advised us that it would be five minutes before they would be ready and invited us to have a drink on the first floor while we waited. We advised him that we would prefer to wait outside and accordingly we took a stroll around the promenade area. After five minutes or more on returning to the restaurant we noticed this man ushering two women to one of the vacant 'tables for two' we naturally assumed that we could now be seated and asked the man if that could be so. He told us that the tables were not ready and would not be ready until he told us so. When I motioned to him about the other two women he said one of them had a disability and that is why he let them in. I advised him that his welcome was anything but friendly to which he took immediate exception and told us we were free to find another restaurant to have lunch. I asked him for his name which he provided. I thanked him for this and told him I would let his boss know about his lack of customer service skills. He thanked me and said I should tell his boss. This man obviously feels he is in the fish business rather than the people business. My wife and I went elsewhere for lunch as suggested and were pleased to do so.

2  Thank Bill H
Reviewed 29 May 2013

The location of the restaurant is great, with panoramic views of Oban Bay. The interior is bright, modern and comfortable. We have eaten at Ee-usk on a number of occasions and have never been disappointed. The menu is interesting, making use of locally sourced seafood and there is usually a good choice of specials. On our last visit we chose oysters and then lobster in garlic butter, both were very good.

The wine list is extensive, particularly the whites, as one might expect in a seafood restaurant, and generally well priced.

The service was friendly and informal

We have noted that many reviewers have found the restaurant to be expensive, but taking everything into account I do not think that the prices are unreasonable.

There is no car park, so parking nearby has to be in the adjacent public park, for which there is a charge.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Judged on food alone, my rating would be off the scale - it's that good. However, the whole dining out experience is about more than the food, so it's a 4 instead of 5.

We arrived (me, wife, daughter and boyfriend) about 10 minutes before and were shown to our requested window table. We ordered a bottle of wine and a soft drink which arrived quick enough. We then waited another 10 minutes and had to summon a waitress to place our order. My daughter had already decided on langoustines for her main course, but was told they didn't have enough unless ordering the seafood platter. I felt that we should have been informed of any dish in short supply when we were given our menus, as this would have enabled an alternative choice to be made without having to peruse the menu again. No complaints about the starters, all delicious and we also shared some oysters.

We again had to advise a waitress that we had waited about 20 minutes since the starter plates had been cleared. When the mains arrived, they didn't disappoint. All four were cleared without complaint - my daughter particularly enjoying her lobster after missing out on the langoustines.

Sadly, again we waited and waited and waited to order a sweet course before asking a different waitress - I think our fourth of the evening - for the menu. Even then, she forgot one of the dishes and I received my creme brulee after the others had finished.

It seemed like the the waitresses had no set system or allocation of tables. One or two also seemed a little bit lacking in professionalism. I'm sure this can be fixed without too much problem. We also had a problem with the bill - some items had been hadn't been listed. I spoke to the owner about it and also the poor service and this is where I am at odds with some of the other critical comments - some of which seem to be malicious. He fully accepted the constructive criticism with good grace and thanked me for being honest about the bill. I just felt that that good food we had eaten was worthy of paying the correct price. I was given a discount because of the poor service.

Would I return? Definitely. My wife and I had eaten here about four times previously whilst visiting Oban without a problem, so I don't want what I hope was a one-off to put me off. This is a restaurant with great food in a great setting with superb views - a little bit of staff training and organisation will ensure overall 5 stars each time.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

superb view out over Oban Bay towards Kerrera and Mull. Menu- excellent range seafood, including lobster, turbot etc. Efficient and pleasant staff. Generous portions ("platters" are especially good...!) and accompaniments can be varied to order. Has become an annual pilgrimage for us, and we'll be back!