We had a 3-night stay here over half term. As the name suggests, it is a small country inn located in a tiny village near the town of Galashiels. It is only an hour away from Edinburgh and is a comfortable and welcoming place with connections to Sir Walter Scott and a good "country pub" ambience, complete with log fires.
The breakfasts were always good and we had two very good evening meals there as well. It's not the cheapest restaurant to eat in but it's by no means the most expensive and the food is of very good quality and beautifully cooked. Plenty of local people seemed to use the restaurant as well which is always a good sign - especially if it's during the week.
We had the family room and were very pleased with the beds as our son had his own and all was very comfortable. However, it was clear that it had not been possible to plumb the bathroom into the main sewerage system as our toilet had something called a "mascerator" on it which activated noisily when you flushed it and without going into too many details, did make this basic human function more of an event than it should have been!
There was also evidence of a rain leak to the roof as part of the walls and ceiling in our room were unplastered and there was a slight smell to it, which was very off-putting.
There didn't appear to be a "mascerator" in the general "Ladies" which I used so I'm guessing it's only in certain rooms, although the young lady on duty when we left didn't seem to know anything about it when we asked.
For this reason only, I couldn't whole-heartedly recommend "Clovenfords" which is a shame because it's a lovely welcoming place in a pretty location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Clovenfords Hotel is situated in the village of Clovenfords in the heart of the Scottish Borders. It is only 3 miles from the busy Borders town of Galashiels. Edinburgh and other Scottish Borders towns including Melrose, Kelso, Jedburgh, Hawick and Peebles are all easily accessible. In the immediate area activities such as fishing (on the River Tweed), mountain biking (Glentress), golfing, shooting and off road driving are all readily available to hotel guests.The Clovenfords Hotel has all the character, warmth and friendly charm you would expect from an 18th century coaching inn. We look forward to extending to you a very warm welcome. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Expedia, getaroom.com, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, Hotels.com, Book Direct Rooms, HotelsClick and Ebookers so you can book your The Clovenfords Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clovenfords Hotel Galashiels
- The Clovenfords Hotel Galashiels, Scotland