“Annual Business Trip (SGN)”
Review of Kingsknowes Hotel

Kingsknowes Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Galashiels
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Annual Business Trip (SGN)”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I have been traveling to Galashiels annually for the last 6 years now , and each year i have stayed in the Kingsknowe Hotel . Its a beautiful Grand Building set within a large gardened area . I was overwhelmed with how friendly the staff and owners were ,and the food was fantastic , with a great menu that caters to any pallet , nice big portions too ! The rooms are large and spacious with a large comfy bed , to rest your head after a couple of glasses of something from the lounge bar ! I would guarantee anyone that stays here would return !
Thanks to Jennifer , Caroline and all the staff

Room Tip: I have stayed in 4 different rooms and each room was as good as the other , Large , Clean and a very...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I travel alot with work and stay at many hotels in my days away from home, which can be quite lonely and rarely do I come across a hotel where you feel so at home away from home.
The hotel is nice, grand building, beautiful lawns which would be lovely in summer. Initally didn't have internet in my room due to the distant of the room from the office, however when i mentioned it at reception, Jenny (who i found out later was the proprietor) gave me another room with internet facilities. No fuss whatsoever. Both rooms were lovely and cosy. The location of the hotel for my trip was excellent. I managed to get to most of my locations at the borders within 18 miles of the hotel which was perfect.

It is nice to stay away from home to be welcomed by smiling, generous, friendly and warm hearted people. The staff at this hotel are amazing, i have never met people so warm and kind. The food....OH MY GOD!! it is amazing! Scrumptious, belly filling homecook food... Thanks to the talented chefs. if I had my way, I would take one home with me! Thank you for the Fudge :)

Absolutely loved my stay at Kingsknowes hotel. I will most definitely be back soon. I would high recomment this hotel for a brilliant experience, rooms, staff, location, facilities. etc etc i could go on and on..

Room Tip: If you are travelling with business and require Internet in your room, i would suggest that you ment...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Stayed 2 nights in July last whilst going to The Open at Muirfield G.C. Not round the corner, granted, but by choosing to be a few miles further afield, we saved a packet and the drives to and from, which we did very early (06.30) and late (after 19.30) were fabulous - cracking views, scenery, devoid of traffic - stayed on smallest Country Lanes & missed A.7 etc. Strongly commend the B6368 !

The Hotel is very near the Junction (roundabout actually) of the A.7 and the A 6091, but access is down a small side Lane into and through a Housing Estate. Assume that the Old House's grounds were sold off for that purpose some years ago. I might be wrong, but that was our guess and a bit weird it was too.

The building itself is a rather grand old (Classic Scottish Castlate) House, in what appeared to be quite spacious grounds, high on the Banks of the River Tweed, but which were decidedly neglected and very overgrown/unkempt. Sadly much the same feeling derived inside.

Everything seemed dark, grey, ill-lit, old and a bit neglected. Big if not massive rooms with very high ceilings and tiny windows. Our Room, whilst huge and very comfortable, reeked of damp, so we jammed two windows open for the whole two days - to significant effect I might add.

Bar - dark, round the back through the kitchens, and unwelcoming.

Restaurant - we went out, it looked so good.

Breakfast - we had left before it was even close to being served.

Have just read a couple of others Reviews' set alongside this page. Seems I was at another place altogether. Completely respect their opinions though.

Sorry, but I stand by the above/mine. The potential is obvious, The reality is Average. A lot needs to be spent to bring this place up to 21st century Standards, retaining of course the grand Old House's character. I would mute Stage 1 is a super clean, and massive dose of TLC ('Tender Loving Care'). Without that I cannot foresee it surviving and suspect an enlargement of the aforementioned Housing Estate will ensue.

PS. From the original Booking, made by me by-phone, they were so lax about sending the Confirm by EMail that I had to follow-up twice. Not good.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
scotland
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I wasn't expecting much as hotels in small towns often leave a lot to be desired. Delighted to say I was very, very pleasantly surprised. Beautiful hotel, though perhaps seen some better days - I' live in an old building and old buildings have character. I couldn't fault, the cleanliness, friendliness and food. Highly recommend staying here - in fact I'm just about to book another stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Stayed here for the Open Golf Championship at Muirfield which was about an hour away. This hotel has unique architecture and has a great deal of character. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were generous and clean. Nice restaurant and bar and a garden overlooking the hills.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2013

The hotel is always clean, service is very friendly feel very spoilt every time I stay. ( End of every month for a week since October )
The rooms are very spacious.
Excellent food very reasonably priced, large portions always homemade and fresh.
Full breakfast available, or a combination of the menu or just coffee and toast.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Another great meal at the Kingsknowes. Staff were great and the food was spot on! Can't fault anything here will definitely return for another helping. Would be a nice visit in the summertime to sit in the gardens with cold beer or two.... :-)

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galashiels
The Clovenfords Hotel
Best Western Plus Scottish Borders, Selkirk Philipburn Hotel
Cringletie House
Cringletie House
#2 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Kingsknowes Hotel? Share your experiences!