“Second Date...”

Cuisines: Italian, Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 28 July 2014

A quiet, well run establishment in central Galashiels. I went here for a second date one Sunday afternoon and it was very nice. Steak pie or the pizzas are highly recommended. An extensive range of wines, spirits, etc to choose from.

Usually quite quiet so always a table available.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Yeah this place is ok 2 for a tenner meals and yes i would go back.Good service did not wait too long needs a bit more on the veggie menu though.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Came here as a group and I won't be back! Got overcharged for a coffee, which was lovely and the only good thing! We got lots of starters to share which were fine, our main courses were very tasteless, my coleslaw tasted sour, my steak pie was very watered down and chips still hard in the middle. My alcoholic drink was a cider and it's was 4.95 which is defo very overpriced !! He pours the drinks into a glass with tons of ice before you am any say anything and then doesn't tell you price. Menus are different priced to till so watch your bill. Had been ill that night and my friends also had sickness and diarrhoea may not have been the meal but was certainly not an enjoyable meal! Service from girl was ok but the owner looked like he didn't want to be there ! Think he needs to think about his attitude while in his business! No atmosphere at all!

5  Thank Nicola F
Pcrolla79, General Manager at H2O, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

OK, lets get this straight, how it all happened...

1.We got a call from a member of the group to book a table for 20 people 1 hour before they all got here. On arrival, at this point, our restaurant was extremely busy being fathers day, It turned out to be only 12 people. when sat down, they realised there was one table was off balance and gathered our wine menus from the table and put them underneath the table, we could not believe what we were seeing.

2. Cider getting poured before knowing how much it costs? ask yourself this question would you not be offended if I were to say excuse me lady, this drink is going to cost such amounts? Can you actually afford this? If i were to be ordering I would certainly be asking for a drinks menu and checking out pricing before placing my order.

3. Food not up to their standards? Our waitress asked them a total of 2 times if everything was ok to each and everyone of them, they had no complaints and no meals were returned or replaced.

4.Price difference? some prices were different from our outside menu board, but only by 20p, the updated prices were stated on our menu at the table.

To be honest people, they clearly lacked dining experience, and no manners at all towards our waiting staff, In all, we dont need this abuse from people.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

My sister is getting married and wanted a hen party close to home so all her friends could come along, so after some research I found out about H2O.
The staff are extremely friendly and the food is fantastic as well as being very reasonably priced-I ordered the lobster ravioli, which was amazing! However everybody's food looked, smelled and by all accounts, tasted fantastic.
The main reason, apart from location, was the fact they accommodate hen parties-we had a table set up which we could put our banners, party bags, games, etc round as well as the bar hosting a cocktail making class, which everybody loved. The bar was also hosting an 80s themed disco later that evening, which rounded off the evening.
If anybody is looking for either somewhere to eat fantastic food in a relaxed environment, this is the place. I would also say, any kind of function-hen party's, birthdays, etc, are welcomed, H2O is a place you could spend your whole evening and have a fantastic time.

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Popped in with friend from Edinburgh. Very nice and friendly staff, the service was efficient and attentive, and we both had tasty pasta dishes. I've been in again and had the same experience, with a nicely presented raspberry cranachan too. Good value. Thumbs up.