Wiltonburn Farm B & B
Very Good 4/5
Glen Hotel(Selkirk)
  • Restaurant
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsplenty of tea coffeebed roomfamily roomlong drivecouple of nightsgood sizebiscuitsother guestsb bhostesscountrysidebathhouse
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Sheila (owner) made us very welcome even when we arrived soaked to the skin after riding up from Berwick during the day. we even turned up a little later than planned which wasn't a problem at all.

rooms are nice and comfy - (the wife reckoned it was the best she's slept away from home in years, which is quite a compliment!), breakfast good and hearty and the little shop next door was nice for a browse before setting off.

would liked to have seen a bit more of hawick while we were there, but unfortunately we had already booked in for our next nights stay.

will definitely stay a couple of nights next time we're in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom L
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed her for one night on our way further up north. The location is beautiful, a lovely house surrounded by countryside. We were greeted warmly by the land lady Sheila who showed us up to our room and made us feel welcome. We had been travelling all day and she was keen to help us settle in and find somewhere for us to get a meal. Sheila has put together a folder with local restaurant menus and advised on suitability, she then contacted them and booked a table for us. After a long journey this was a blessing.

Breakfast in the morning was lovely, with all of us having the cooked option.

All in all a great place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We arrived after a long day of traveling. This large old house is beautifully decorated, quiet, retaining qualities of the historic nature of the property. We had a large comfortable room with access to an extensive bathroom furnished up-to-date, but including an enormous bathtub.
We happened to be the only guests the night we stayed, and had "the whole house to ourselves". Delicious breakfast. Very friendly service. Set in a beautiful pastoral area.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I stayed at the Wiltonburn Farm one night (October 9) while I was taking a car trip through Scotland and England. I have ancestry from Hawick (even found some gravestones in the cemetery). I believe I stayed in the same room as the reviewer who had the bathroom down the hall. Yes, I wasn't expecting that, but it's just the way the house is designed and it didn't bother me at all. Personally, I found Sheila to be very nice and accommodating. Some hosts in bed and breakfasts hover around you like bees but Sheila was good at balancing being a good host with giving her guest privacy. I found the breakfast to be very good and hearty and chatted with the other guests (who knew the owners and come up from Yorkshire on a regular basis). I had a nice walk around the grounds which are very nice and the air was very fresh. I even made friends with the two sheep dogs who wanted to hang around me, for some reason.

Sheila runs her business, Wiltonburn County Cashmeres, in an add-on to the house. Personally I think that she was more involved in the bed and breakfast in the past (as she and her husband have been doing this for a couple of decades) but now the cashmere business is where she concentrates her work (thus not promoting the B and B as much as she did in the past). In the guest book for comments, I noticed that recently there have been few bookings. Sheila even joked that once the book is filled up, she'll retire from the B and B business, and in honestly there were maybe only 5 or 6 pages left in the book. That being said, I found her to be very nice and hospitable and if in the area would possibly stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank JJAToronto
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Stayed 1 night prior to my wedding in the town. Accommodation-wise it was clean and tidy but unexceptional. Despite having had more than 1 conversation with the owner Sheila about what time I would be arriving, who would be staying etc, her behaviour was decidedly odd when I arrived to check in; it was almost as if she wasn't running a B&B and I'd just turned up randomly at her farm and demanded a bed for the night.

Add to that having an additional £12 taken from my credit card later for cleaning the bedsheets (I spilled a litte red wine on the coverlet) without prior warning, I wouldn't recommend staying here at all. With regard to the stain, I came home from my honeymoon to find a note with a picture of 3 spots of wine on the bedding and a bill from the dry cleaners sent from the owners of the property with a jaunty note saying thankfully the wine came out. No doubt I would have been charged the price of replacement bedding had it not. Surely someone running this kind of establishment must expect some wear and tear? And have insurance to cover any extraordinary damage. All in all, it left a bad taste and I wouldn't recommend Wiltonburn farm to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends