“Very enjoyable”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Hawick
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable”
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Sheila was very welcoming and helpful, suggesting and booking a table for dinner (despite it being difficult as it were a Sunday).
Great room and area
Only minor issue was a dirty shower head.
Great weather too.

• Stayed August 2014

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This is the secnd time I have visited Wiltonburn and I hope to return in the future. Shiela is an attentive host and very friendly. The farm is lovely and the rooms beautiful. Hawick is a 2 mile walk away which is very pleasant if you go via the park. I am very fond of Hawick and this B&B and cant wait to come back again.

Room Tip: The twin/family room with ensuite is beautifully decorated and spacious.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lovetogadabout
Lake Orion, Michigan
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed here for several nights in October 2012 actually doing family research. I'm embarrassed that I haven't left a review until now because I had a wonderful time. Any negative comments I've read here seem to be from people who expected a traditional hotel experience. It's not. Instead, you are treated to an insider's experience of a charming and authentic farming lifestyle. Sheila treated me like a long lost cousin with her warm humor and helpful local advice. I really can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank TerGraham
Derby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Sheila (owner) made us very welcome even when we arrived soaked to the skin after riding up from Berwick during the day. we even turned up a little later than planned which wasn't a problem at all.

rooms are nice and comfy - (the wife reckoned it was the best she's slept away from home in years, which is quite a compliment!), breakfast good and hearty and the little shop next door was nice for a browse before setting off.

would liked to have seen a bit more of hawick while we were there, but unfortunately we had already booked in for our next nights stay.

will definitely stay a couple of nights next time we're in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom L
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed her for one night on our way further up north. The location is beautiful, a lovely house surrounded by countryside. We were greeted warmly by the land lady Sheila who showed us up to our room and made us feel welcome. We had been travelling all day and she was keen to help us settle in and find somewhere for us to get a meal. Sheila has put together a folder with local restaurant menus and advised on suitability, she then contacted them and booked a table for us. After a long journey this was a blessing.

Breakfast in the morning was lovely, with all of us having the cooked option.

All in all a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We arrived after a long day of traveling. This large old house is beautifully decorated, quiet, retaining qualities of the historic nature of the property. We had a large comfortable room with access to an extensive bathroom furnished up-to-date, but including an enormous bathtub.
We happened to be the only guests the night we stayed, and had "the whole house to ourselves". Delicious breakfast. Very friendly service. Set in a beautiful pastoral area.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I stayed at the Wiltonburn Farm one night (October 9) while I was taking a car trip through Scotland and England. I have ancestry from Hawick (even found some gravestones in the cemetery). I believe I stayed in the same room as the reviewer who had the bathroom down the hall. Yes, I wasn't expecting that, but it's just the way the house is designed and it didn't bother me at all. Personally, I found Sheila to be very nice and accommodating. Some hosts in bed and breakfasts hover around you like bees but Sheila was good at balancing being a good host with giving her guest privacy. I found the breakfast to be very good and hearty and chatted with the other guests (who knew the owners and come up from Yorkshire on a regular basis). I had a nice walk around the grounds which are very nice and the air was very fresh. I even made friends with the two sheep dogs who wanted to hang around me, for some reason.

Sheila runs her business, Wiltonburn County Cashmeres, in an add-on to the house. Personally I think that she was more involved in the bed and breakfast in the past (as she and her husband have been doing this for a couple of decades) but now the cashmere business is where she concentrates her work (thus not promoting the B and B as much as she did in the past). In the guest book for comments, I noticed that recently there have been few bookings. Sheila even joked that once the book is filled up, she'll retire from the B and B business, and in honestly there were maybe only 5 or 6 pages left in the book. That being said, I found her to be very nice and hospitable and if in the area would possibly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank JJAToronto
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawick
Mansfield House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Newcastleton
Glenbank House Hotel
Glenbank House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Jedburgh

Been to Wiltonburn Farm? Share your experiences!