“What a place”
Review of Fatlips Castle

Fatlips Castle
Ranked #8 of 17 things to do in Hawick
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The last time I visited Fatlips Castle it was really quite unsafe. I was over the moon to see the amount of work that has been done to make this amazing place accessible. All you need to do is collect the key from the Thos Garage in Denholm for a teeny tiny £10 deposit (£5 is refunded when the key is returned) and you and as many folk as you like can spend the day in the castle. The £5 goes towards the work / maintenance of the castle which is fantastic. It's a bit of a hike up, maybe not suitable for buggies or those not to good on their feet, also if the ground is wet it is muddy, but the climb is definitely worth it.

All reviews
"tower"
"castle"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 12 August 2017

Only one key so be sure to ring the service station to check if it's available should you wish to go inside. The walk up is relatively easy and short, though the track isn't well kept. Overall a pleasant experience, certainly worth getting the key to go up into the tower. Beware there is no railing at the top of the stairs so be extra vigilant with your kids please.

1  Thank Review_guys
Reviewed 20 November 2016

This is a great spot to get an all-round view of Border country, even if you just climb the path to the hilltop. However it is well worth visiting the friendly garage in Denholm where for a £10 deposit (£5 refundable on return) you can get the key to access the tower and climb to its viewing parapet. There is a 2 mile walk or drive from the village along a quiet road before approx 1 mile steepish ascent on foot through the woods.

1  Thank Mike P
Reviewed 19 November 2016

Originally owned by The Turnbulls, Fatlips has been part of my family history and a place that I have wanted to visit for years - this year I did. And I was not disappointed. We picked the key up from Oliver garage in Denholm, where we left a £10 deposit (which you receive £5 back).. Sign the register with your details and the key to the castle is handed to you. We were given instructions on how to get to the cast from the garage and 10 minutes later we had our hiking boots on and was on our way up. November is not the best month to do this, as it is quite a rainy month. Lucky for us the day we chose was a dry day, however it was still very slippery. The climb took us roughly half and hour, but worth it!! When you get to the castle the view is fantastic - when you climb the winding stairs to the top the views are doubly fantastic. You can certainly imagine the battles that were undertaken there. It is very dark inside the castle so take a good torch with you to appreciate the structure inside. On the descent the mud was very tricky to navigate, so take it slow.

1  Thank mink2406
See more reviews
Reviewed 14 October 2016 via mobile

After picking up the keys from the Oliver service station in denholm from the absolutely lovely lady there (sorry if forgot her name) we hiked up to the castle. The walk up is quite steep but very doable and through lovely scenery. The castle itself is perfectly perched on the Minto crags and it's position provides a perfect view of the surrounding landscape. Having the castle to ourselves and being free to explore was a wonderful change from the hustle of the more "touristy" locations around Scotland. The castle is perfectly presented with only just enough restoration to make it safe and is a stunning reminder of days past. The walk up the spiral staircase to the top is well worth it and provides a wonderful view of both the inside of the tower and a higher vantage of the surrounds. The only thing missing is a little more history of the tower and the occupants over the years. For me this castle has special meaning as it is the seat of my families ancestors and made me feel very proud of my heritage. The area of the borderlands was not initially on our list of destinations whilst in Scotland but I am very glad we made the trip. Absolutely worth it!