The Townhouse Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Burt's Hotel(Melrose)
  • Breakfast included
Kingsknowes Hotel(Galashiels)
US$153
TripAdvisor
Dryburgh Abbey Hotel(St Boswells)(Great Value!)
US$161
US$76
Hotels.com
TripAdvisor
Station Hotel(Melrose)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewscullen skinkmusselscream saucehigh standardsmall hotelwine listlarge comfortable bedcharming small townlovely hotelvenisonstayed for one nightmarket squarerecommend this hotellovely roomefficient staffthe owner managerscottish borders
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 June 2008

This is a clean and fairly comfortable small hotel in the same ownership as Burts Hotel across the road. We have stayed in this hotel twice and eaten in both the Town House and Burts Hotel across the road. Everything seems to work until you request something which annoys the owner or his son. Forget hospitality as you are very quickly told that your custom is not valued and that you are an inconvenience to the hotel and its staff. Furthermore the owners are more than happy to do this in public to the smirking enjoyment of the staff and customers around at the time. Things that can upset them include asking for anything out of the ordinary, being a little late for dinner, or making a complaint.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Davidthescot
Reviewed 3 June 2008

Unfortunately, I would have to agree with the previous review with regards to my stay at The Townhouse. The rooms are generally comfortable and the staff were pleasant, but I found the management to be shockingly abrasive towards myself and the party I was with to the point where we felt both unwelcome and extremely awkward at a confrontation we endured which was based on our request for an early breakfast. I will not be staying here ever again, and would advise caution to future guests not to cross the path of the manager by avoiding the hotel altogether.

Stayed: February 2008
4  Thank Global00
Reviewed 3 June 2008

On the strength of trip advisor recommendation we booked in for two nights. We found the food to be excellent, the beds were brilliant, and when we asked for our pillows to be changed (from feather to micro-fibre), it was dealt with promptly and with a smile. The hotel was beautifully furnished, and it was all very clean.

We asked for a quiet room at the back, and got exactly that, while the hotel is on a very quiet street, we could have stayed on the street side. My mum left her phone charger in the room, after a short phone call, it was found and delivered to us promtly.

Melrose was a charming small town, ideally situated for local sight-seeing. We will definitely be going back!

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed 1 June 2008

I've stayed at this hotel twice in recent months and was let down on both occasions. Melrose itself is pleasant but the manager of the Townhouse and the manager of their sister hotel, Burts, were extremely rude, patronizing and aggressive to me and other guests on two separate occasions. I left feeling bullied and very upset and would recommend that people avoid either hotel or restaurant.

The accommodation itself was generally adequate but the showers were lack lustre and the food in the restaurant was disappointing. Basic requests for help seemed to inconvenience the management. There were some positives; on the whole, the rest of the staff were helpful and the breakfasts were good.

Stayed: May 2008
6  Thank Hampshire08
Reviewed 13 October 2007

I stayed here with my girlfriend on a trip to the borders before heading up to Edinburgh. Despite staying in an excellent 5-star on Lothian road (you know the one...), we both agreed that this little hotel in Melrose knocked the socks off it!
We stayed in an enormous "superior" room on the ground floor, complete with spa in the very opulent bathroom. We ate in the brasserie where the food and service was excellent, beaten only by the frankly ridiculously good Scottish breakfast the following morning!
Overall, the best thing about the hotel is the overall ambience - the combination of the constantly friendly staff, the lovely decor and easily the best night sleep I've had for years in a picture-postcard setting.
I've read a couple of reviews that said this place was overpriced; maybe it's because I'm a Londoner, but I find that quite laughable! £250 for bed and breakfast for 2 nights in an enormous luxury room is cheaper than a Holiday Inn at Heathrow!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple