“Heaven on Earth”
Review of Roulotte Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Melrose
Roulotte Retreat
East Cowes, United Kingdom
“Heaven on Earth”
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We were expecting so much from Roulotte Retreat after seeing it on TV but when we arrived it exceeded everything we had imagined. This peaceful retreat is the most perfect break that anyone could imagine. We both fell in love with it and we're very sad to leave. We spent two nights in Devanna, which has everything you could possibly wish for... Comfy double bed, fridge, cooker, shower, toilet, log burner and much more, believe me, all this and no sense of being crammed in.

Avril and Allan are truly lovely people who can't do enough for you during your stay. The only sounds we could hear was birdsong which is amazing around here. No traffic noise whatsoever. This really is a little piece of Utopia!

We are already trying to work out when we can return as we adore the place.

We honestly can't recommend it enough.

Dianne and Nigel

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

this was our third stay, out first in rosa bella. As usual the owners Avril and Allan were fantastic. we relaxed, lounged about, wandered in the meddow (surprisingly for the wettest year ever the weather was lovely) made some great meals with our breakfast hamper and ate them alfresco.

Room Tip: you will fall in love with any one you chose
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Greenock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Absolutely loved it we stayed in the cottage because we had the 2 dogs but you get the bowtop which means there is the best of both.lots of lovely walks near by and wildlife and garden area and cottage was fab and bowtop....magical :) felt so.relaxed and didn't want to leave after our 4 night stay.only downfall was there was only 1 roll of loo roll which you don't usually expect to buy yourself and even a couple of teabags for arrival would be nice :)

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

This was me and my boyfriends second trip to this fantastically romantic place! After me surprising my boyfriend earlier on in the year and booking here for his birthday, he decided to surprise me by doing the same at Hogmanay - we checked in on the 30th December and stayed til the 2nd January. Christmas was quite hectic so we were glad to know we were going somewhere so tranquil for a few days to recharge our batteries and spend some quality time together before going back to work. It's such a lovely, intimate, romantic place for couples to go and chill out. It's so charming and relaxing with the wood burning stove etc. it hammered down with rain the whole time we were there but this didn't bother us as we were all cosied up in the comfort of the Roulotte. My only criticism is that I didn't get a great sleep on the first night - this was due to there being only 1 pillow each in the bed and I got a sore neck. However, as soon as my boyfriend said to Avril the next day, there was no problem in getting more pillow. I think it would be a good idea to always ensure that there are 2 pillows per person in the roulottes. Anyways, that was my only gripe (if you can call it that). The scenery is just breathtaking and as all the Roulottes are just for 2 - there are not any screaming children tearing about the place - its just a lovely atmosphere to the place. We will be sure to return this year again if the bank balance allows! Keep up the good work Avril and Alan!

Room Tip: All of the Roulottes are individual in character. We like to stay in the same 1 but this is just bec...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

If you are thinking about doing this then you are close to having one of the best experiences of your life.

Yes, you are staying in a field! But is is a beautiful field in one of the most lovely parts of the county.

The Roulotte is amazing; we could not believe the craftsmanship; warm, cost, romantic, completely different from anything else in the world. This is 'glamping' but with an extra portion of luxury thrown in.

We stayed for a week as part of our honeymoon and as you can tell from my gushing report; we loved it.

We would love to go back. Next time we would take all our friends and enjoy a summers evening around the lake.

Before we went we worried about toilets, showers and stiff backs. We should not have worried. It is as good as a four star hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Matthewhaynes
Banff, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Went to this lovely place last week after seeing it on 'four in a bed'. After going on about it for ages to my partner he told me to book it, just think he said that to shut me up. He wasn't looking forward to it as he hates caravans. I can honestly say now his idea of caravans have changed greatly.

We arrived about tea time & Avril showed us to our Roulotte. She showed us how everything worked & made sure we had plenty of eco logs for our fire, gave us some local knowledge about restaurants & delis & left us to it. We unpacked then went into Melrose for a bit of shopping & something to eat. (Townhouse is excellent for steak & lamb, great service & lovely surroundings)

We went back to the roulotte and started up the log fire. Don't fill it too much though because the size of it looks deceiving. We were roasting but were lovin it! My partner thought we would be freezing all weekend but he was the one opening the door to let the heat out. The roulotte quickly heats up with little effort. Easy peasy!

We sat down & read & did crosswords & relaxed for the rest of the night with no tv & internet to distract us. Felt weird at first but we both went to bed feeling chilled. Woke up feeling refreshed, bed was very comfy, cooked up breakfast & ate it outside on the decking. Bliss!

Walked into Melrose, 4 miles so don't wear brand new boots like I did, duh! But it's a nice walk & Melrose is such a lovely place. A few pubs, lovely wine & whisky shop (Owners very nice) & the Station hotel is a nice place to have a drink & read the papers.

We left feeling very relaxed. I was told later by my partner that he was hoping I would ask to stay another night, which I never, I thought I was pushing it getting him to stay for 2 nights. He later described the experience as 'Going sailing but without the water', a total compliment from him.

We shall be returning, hopefully soon. It is a long drive for us but it was worth every mile. My partner has never seen me so relaxed before.

Loved every minute!!!!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ainsley_12
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

A simply wonderful Magical Journeys writing retreat at Roulotte Retreat -perfect in every way. The roulottes were beautiful, romantic, cosy and profoundly calming. The studio, where we wrote and laughed and discovered the elaborate pleasures of storytelling, was impeccable - a lovely airy room. We woke to frosty mornings in the meadow but were kept so snug with the roaring log burners. Avril and Alan were the perfect hosts and we are already looking at our return dates!

Room Tip: We stayed in nearly all the roulottes each of which has a different character and mood, but all were...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ClaireSteele19
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melrose
The Townhouse Hotel
#2 of 7 in Melrose
Fauhope House
Fauhope House
#1 of 1 in Gattonside

Been to Roulotte Retreat? Share your experiences!