“Elopement at Roulotte Retreat”
Review of Roulotte Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Melrose
Roulotte Retreat
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We were lucky enough to be able hold our 'elopement ceremony' at Roulotte Retreat here on mid-summer's day 2014. Ourselves and our young-adult kids also stayed in 3 of the roulottes for 2 nights during this time. We really couldn't have chosen a better place to tie the knot, and we were blown away by the simple, natural beauty of the setting. The roulottes themselves are of course absolutely beautiful, and I will add that for anyone who is only usually accustomed to staying in hotel rooms, that staying in a roulotte in a meadow is simply just great fun.
As I write (now one week later), we are both still buzzing at how perfect our weekend and elopement was, and we are thrilled with how lovely the photos of our wedding day look (and we haven't even seen the professional photographer's pics yet).
Our kids loved the place, and had a fun time. It is such a peaceful setting, and although we were generally busy during our stay, it is a perfect place to do nothing other than enjoy nature and while away days and evenings on the roulotte's decking with a glass of wine.
My musings in this review won't be doing the place justice, so I won't say any more other than a word on Avril and Alan, who are completely lovely and are passionate about something fantastic that they have created, and that they are so rightfully proud of.
If you're reading this - just go!
Love
Jon (and Nichola) Holden

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I'm your typical bloke, I work hard, I find it hard to unwind, I play with my phone too often and I probably should spend more time talking to my wife. The thought of going to a tranquil wee place with limited technical facilities filled me with dread and I booked this wee break purely as my wife made a very positive comment after seeing it on the tv.
We got very lucky, they weather was fantastic at the Easter Weekend when we stayed but to be fair it could have snowed and we would have still loved the place. Please believe me that a 2 night stay here is good for the soul, good for the stress levels and great for a relationship.
Alan and Avril are lovely caring people who have put their love and care into every Roulotte. You can see how much this place means to them. I made a wee video on Youtube that helps you to see how magical this place is. If this link doesnt work go to Youtube and search for Roulotte Retreat and it's posted by Tony Miller: Enjoy!! : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGN3lvmHV84

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I had seen this place online ages ago and my partner booked us a stay for my birthday this year as a surprise. He was slightly wary of going as he isn't as outdoorsy/nature loving as me, but he absolutely loved it just as much as I did. We stayed in the Devanna, which I really liked as my favourite colour is blue so the decor matched my taste, and although we arrived way before checking in time they let us go into our caravan. It was very spacious for the size with a great layout, and lovely views of the meadow and surrounding area. We enjoyed the fire & cooking breakfast every morning, and even bought some fresh eggs from their chickens. Plenty of nice restaurants in Melrose to eat at for lunch and dinner, and a trip up to Scott's view on a nice day is worth it (if you can find it!). Overall had a lovely stay and would recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Devanna and it had a lovely decor!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Abbie S
Reviewed 3 May 2014

we have just come back from spending a week at the roulette retreat and enjoyed every second of our time there, for anyone looking for a truly special experience look no further than here. the Roulottes are gorgeous and the welcome warm. can thoroughly recommend the breakfast hampers too. happy times just sitting ..writing/drawing/crocheting and just generally spending the days watching the grass grow a lovely way to celebrate our anniversary with many thanks to Avril and Alan who made the happiness complete. hope to come back soon guys

Room Tip: just take a look at their facebook page and prepare to be amazed
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank kimmy h
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Wow, Idyllic and peaceful.
My partner booked a 2 night stay here as part of his Birthday trip after we saw it on 'four in a bed'
We loved it.
The Roulotte was spotlessly clean, well equipped and sumptuous. We had two wonderful nights sleep.
Avril and Alan are lovely people, Avril showed us to our Roulotte Devanna (chosen for its Turquoise and Purple colour theme) and went through how everything works and where to get more eco logs etc.
She took great delight in telling us (when asked) about their plans for the meadow that the roulettes are placed in.
It is a young meadow with young trees which once grown will provide even more bird life than we saw. yet you still look out over beautiful scenery.
There is a pond with a path around it which gave me a delightful walk early evening for some photography practice.
All the other people staying were friendly and we heard no noise or disruption, just peace.
We will definitely return one day.

Room Tip: All of the Roulottes looked lovely from what we could see but Devanna is our favourite.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dianne N
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I came here for a weekend and it was fantastic! Lovely furnished caravans, very clean and the owners were so helpful and friendly! Lovely for walks and would be great in the summer! We would love to stay there again and see the lovely geese!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We were expecting so much from Roulotte Retreat after seeing it on TV but when we arrived it exceeded everything we had imagined. This peaceful retreat is the most perfect break that anyone could imagine. We both fell in love with it and we're very sad to leave. We spent two nights in Devanna, which has everything you could possibly wish for... Comfy double bed, fridge, cooker, shower, toilet, log burner and much more, believe me, all this and no sense of being crammed in.

Avril and Allan are truly lovely people who can't do enough for you during your stay. The only sounds we could hear was birdsong which is amazing around here. No traffic noise whatsoever. This really is a little piece of Utopia!

We are already trying to work out when we can return as we adore the place.

We honestly can't recommend it enough.

Dianne and Nigel