King's Arms Hotel
US$126
US$106
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsprivate functionstaying locallylocal caravan sitevisiting melrosebeer gardensevens weekendfriendly hotelfood was lovelybottled wateran evening mealhigh streetfull scottishboth nightsbiscuitsone night staydogwake
Reviewed 6 September 2013

After reading other peoples experiences on here I was quite worried. However I found this hotel value for money,very friendly, very helpful (my arrival time was past midnight as I was stuck on a train for 8 hours Instead of 2) and the breakfast was more than adequate. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again at all. The room was airy, clean and quite up to date..... Looking forward to returning in the near future.. X

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed here on the third day of walking the Borders Abbey Way. We were somewhat disappointed in the room. The bathroom was in need of updating and was a bit tatty (it certainly didn't appear to have been "recently refurbished" as claimed on the website). The hotel really needs to invest in some decent bedding. The pillows were very thin and filled with some unpleasant crinkly material - even with two it felt as if you didn't have a pillow. The duvet covers were some sort of shiny synthetic material so they kept falling off. On top of this, the bedding had been washed with an excessive amount of some sort of fabric conditioner and smelled so strongly that it was really quite unpleasant. The room was small and had little to recommend it. The cooked breakfast was good, but the rest of it was poor - no fresh fruit and tea that was served as a Thermos of lukewarm water and teabags for the cups. I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We arrived at the Kings Arms on the Friday before the Bank Holiday at the end of May and it was more like an October day. We were checked in by a polite young lady who showed us to our rooms. No heating was on and when we enquired she informed us that the heating was on a timer and would come on at 5pm. At this point we weren't really bothered as we were going out to explore the town. We arrived back about 5.30pm and still no heating. When we enquired, again, we were told it was coming on at 6pm. I explained to the guy it felt warmer outside and took a seat in the bar whilst we waited for other family members and we were basically ignored by the guy I had raised the issue with. At this point the offer of a drink would have appeased me, but... Nothing. I then proceeded to cancel my dinner reservation at the hotel and we made our way a couple of doors up to Barts Hotel for a well earned glass of wine. On arrival back at the Kings Arms an hour or so later, still no heating but at least Danny the owner was now on site and he promptly took charge of the problem getting us electric heaters while he sorted the problem. Danny was a really nice guy and looked after us for the rest of our stay. The rooms were clean, comfortable and of ample size. The breakfast was good with plenty of choice, cooked fresh by Danny who also doubles as the chef. Just a little extra effort from some of the staff would make this a great little place to stay in the Scottish Boarders

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Stopped in here for a lunch over the recent bank holiday weekend. Menu displayed outside looked nice and my wife and I figured it worth a try.

The inside dining area is small but cozy with large comfortable contemporary chairs. The staff were quick to take our order and the menu had plenty to select from. The battered chili was amazing and a very large portion and the beef burger was excellent as well. We were very impressed with the meal.

Only comment on not providing 5 stars was it was over 30 minutes from ordering to delivery of food which seemed a bit long when the place had an early lunch crowd but not so busy to feel there was reason for the wait. However, not being negative as the meal was worth the wait.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I decided t book a last min weekend away with hubby and 2 year old..... Ive been to melrose plenty so i knew the area to make it confortable for us, (first time id been away,in a hotel with a two year old) I found the kings the cheapest of the hotels, and have eaten here a few times over the years, when i rang to book it was a friendly gent, he didnt seem to be on the premises but rang back within 20 mins and booking was made.
We arrived at 4pm on the friday, asked if we wanted to book a table for dinner - they were fully booked but would make sure we would be served if we did with is been guests. We decided against, but it was nice to know they would accomadte us.
We had booked the room with a cot, unfortunatly when we arrived in the room there wasnt one, but i let the staff know and within 20mins it was with us.
My little boy got very upset at about 11pm (not like him) and i started to panic that i was disturbing everyone in the rooms, s took him dwn stairs, A female member of staff(wish i took her name!!) but me at ease immediatly! she said not to worry about anyone else just to make sure my boy was ok, we sat in the games room for a while and she brought us some toast -Very kind. Eventually i got some sleep hee hee.
Breakfast was GREAT!!! - cereals, toast, t/c,fruit juices and full scottish - although the layout seemed basic, its what i would expect in a small hotel like the KINGS. same lady on shift, again very pleasant, and checked on my little boy!
no even meal taken again,
Sunday morning breakfast was a bit of a let down, in the room it says breakfast is served between 8am and 10am on sat/sunday. so we went down at 8.30 like previuos morning, to be told that breafast didnt start til 9. we could however get our cearels, t/c etc. - felt like we had been naughty by turning up at the time we said on arrival. the waiter did bring some toast, but no butter at table and didnt feel i could ask for any. the waiter did at 9am cme and take our order.... and said chef had arrived now he could take ordr, i asked for full scottish like i had sat and was told i had to pick just 5 things, this again made me feel awkard. but food arrived and was lovely.
Overall our stay was great, just what i needed and although sunday breakfast was a let down, i will be back. Thanks

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family