“This year's walking holiday.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of St. Cuthberts Way

St. Cuthberts Way
Ranked #4 of 11 things to do in Melrose
More attraction details
Owner description: A hundred KM walk through the Scottish countryside off the coast of Northumberland.
newbury
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“This year's walking holiday.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

This was our sixth long distance walk in the UK and it was great. We enjoyed the challenge of the terrain, the quality of the way marking and the wonderful views and the friendly people and the places we stayed along the way. Well done to Scottish Borders and Northumberland Parks for doing such a grey job maintaining this walk so well.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank kingtutt

Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Walked the Way”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Really enjoyed the way, very well marked. Booked with Macs Adventures and all the B & B's and hotels were very good.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Helen H
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“St Cuthberts Way”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

This is a really good walk. I thought I knew this part of the country but walking it opened up all kinds of new experiences. The route is not 'easy' but is not too demanding either. It is well signposted & well maintained, especially on the Scottish part of the route. We had marvelous weather in May for the first three days and a bit of drizzle on days four & five. Best of all - no midges!
We stayed in the YHA at Wooler (which is very relaxed with a warm welcome) & shuttled backwards & forwards to the start/finish points. The driving was a bit of a pain. If I was going to do it again I'd like to try a combination of hostels & camping. Give a try, you won't be disappointed.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank jc0900
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“great walk”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013 via mobile

I walked this with my 7 yr old son last March. We had amazing weather until the last day crossing the causeway when we had a storm..!! Having done lots of walking in the Highlands a was worried that the scenery in the borders maybe a little tame -how wrong was I, it is just as beautiful and varied. We took our time and did it over 6 days staying in pubs and B & Bs. I would rate the walk as easy. In fact some of the hardest bits are some of the road stretches - tough on the feet. We switched to trainers for these parts.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank Stoykseasy
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“A good walk in good weather”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

I am just back from walking the St. Cuthbert's Way and I had all four seasons in 4.5 days. There was still quite a bit of snow around at the beginning of April but this has been a bit of a freak weather year up here. There is a tarmac sections which is a bit long between Cessford and Morebattle but the wilder sections of the walk from Morebattle to Wooler more than made up for this. The walking level is moderate in decent weather and the waymarking is consistent with small signs appearing at every junction on the route. It is wise to take packed lunches and waterproofs and be aware that there are not many official campsites on the route.

Visited April 2013