“Disappointed”

Fiorlin Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Melrose
Fiorlin Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 12 Melrose B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Unable to locate the B&B, no proper markings as it's off an alley way. After arrival were shown to room, no tea or welcome at all, the shower and sink had almost empty soap containers, Hair in shower stall, not sure if beds had been re-made (!) room didnt smell fresh, breakfast was disappointing, burnt sausage and dry eggs and scrambled egg was awful........we were also never told that Melrose had a book festival so there was no restaurant available anywhere. It would have been nice if this would have been communicated before arrival via emails. Host didnt seem interested and all in all, a very disappointing stay and glad it was only one night. I would not recommend this one.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Candu51
690KennyP, Owner at Fiorlin Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Although I am disappointed that you didn’t mention any of this during your stay, I note your comments and I shall respond to your points in turn.

We advertise ourselves as being set back from the town centre and this is why we have such a peaceful house. When you phoned for directions I came to the main street to find you and guided you in, then welcomed you to our house as I do with all guests. Prior to this I had emailed you on 2 June to offer early arrival and ensure that you knew that guests can park on our grounds because there was a Book Festival on in town.

I can assure you that beds are changed with freshly laundered linen for each change of guest or as required when guests are staying for a few days. This criticism hurt a lot, because it is basic service and as a family we go above and beyond basic service for our guests. It goes without saying that the sheets were clean. However, I will apologise profusely if you found a hair in the shower cabinet which would have been gleaming; this is both unacceptable and highly unusual. Had you mentioned either of these housekeeping matters, I’d have resolved it straight away.

We have carefully selected a variety of teas, caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee and hot chocolate, as well as locally made biscuits for our welcome tray in each room so that guests can enjoy tea at their leisure. We also provide good quality toiletries from a charity for the Blind but I am sorry that you felt that there weren't enough for you. Had you asked for more, I’d have provided a new bottle immediately.

You came to me distressed because the town was busy and demanded that I get a restaurant booking for you. I booked a table at a great restaurant and you later called and asked that I cancel the booking as you had found a table at one of the other restaurants that I had suggested earlier in the day. We also had email correspondence in January when I sent a list of Melrose restaurants. I said that booking was advisable and all were detailed on the web.

As for breakfast, I am sorry that you found it disappointing but can confidently say that 99% of guests are delighted. I pride myself on my breakfasts. We buy local produce, as far as possible, to present a fabulous breakfast.

At no time did you complain to me about any of the issues you highlight in this damning report. All of these could and would have been resolved at the time. It is important to me that guests have a pleasurable value for money visit with us. As you will see from the other guest reports we work hard to fulfil this at all times. Our reception desk contains evaluation forms seeking comments on various criteria – I can find no trace of you having completed one of these.

As stated on the welcome sheet if anything is required, we welcome guests to ask us at any point during their stay.

I hope the rest of your holiday was a success.

K Paterson

There are newer reviews for Fiorlin Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We were walking St. Cuthbert's Way and Fiorlin is in the Ideal spot right at the beginning of the walk opposite Melrose Abbey. It's a lovely B&B and used to catering for walkers it has all been modernised and even has it's own entrance, the rooms are well decorated and spacious with lots of nice touches. Kenny is a good host leaving nothing to chance. We had an excellent breakfast the next morning setting us up for the start of the walk. Highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
690KennyP, Owner at Fiorlin Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for your comendation, it is always a pleasure to host happy guests.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Lovely B&B fully set up to cater for cyclists. Good bike storage. Rooms are very nice and clean and comfortable. Guests have their own door, And right in the very middle of Melrose which has lots of choices for eating.

Host very relaxed and a well presented breakfast with lots of cereals, juice, toast and coffee.

So well worth the effort making it to Melrose, and can certainly recommend this B&B.

PS - There was only a double room available, but they put a mattress on the floor so we could use as a twin. Great option and very comfortable mattress. So very accommodating !

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank inb_edin
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We just have to praise Kenny for providing us with the most comfortable accommodation in a great location and with one of the best breakfasts ever.
Porridge was amazing as was all the other food and the little touches.
Great host and a b and b that you want to return to!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I couldn't praise this little gem of a place enough. My mother in law and I stayed here whilst my partner was in during her time giving birth to our first child.

The family here were very flexible with holding on to the room if we needed it any extra nights. They couldn't have done enough for us at breakfast, too. Ensured we were well fed for our busy stay in Melrose.

When coming to pay, the price was very, very reasonable, and would recommend this place to anyone who were in the area.

This little bed and breakfast is one of, if not the best I've stayed in.

Thank you for your hospitality!

• Stayed: May 2014
690KennyP, Owner at Fiorlin Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Thank you Adam for your kind words. I hope all is well with your new family!
Come back if you need a quiet nights sleep!!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

The folk at Fiorlin are so friendly and obliging.-nothing too much trouble. We had a smashing stay over the Bank Holiday. Extremely comfortable beds, lovely [quiet] appointed rooms and as for Kenny's delicious breakfast....well....first class. Will definitely recommend to anyone who wants a great value break without compromising on top quality.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your praise, I do hope you and your family make it back for another visit.
Regards to all.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Very centrally located, surrounded by its own walled garden this is a perfect place to stay. Warm room, comfy bed, soft towels, good TV and hospitality tray, its the perfect place to relax after a long day's cycling. There is a good choice of places to eat in Melrose in the evening, only a few minutes walk away. Next morning the breakfast is fantastic - cereals and porridge - fresh fruit and juice - along with a generous cooked breakfast that sets you up for the day. And even the bikes (which are kept inside overnight) washed and ready to go. Would definitely recommend and return if in the area. Its reasonably priced too.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
690KennyP, Owner at Fiorlin Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Thank you for your kind comments, it is nice to know we are appreciated.
You would have had a good day on your bikes with the sun shining and the wind behind you.
Do come back and find more great roads to pedal.