Bay Waverley Castle Hotel
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
County Hotel(Selkirk)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsself driveresident entertainerdining roomjames mullaneyshearings hotelsbay hotelsnational holidaysshearings holidayentertainment roomevening entertainmentreception staffthe ground floorfree drinkspremier roomgreat entertainmentour waiterturkey and tinsel
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I booked with Shearings as a single and my room was good but had no heating in the bathroom apart from a towel rail which was nowhere near hot enough especially for January. The food was ok, pretty much what you would expect from a package holiday. However the service was not so good, clearly not enough staff who were obviously unable to cope, it took 45 minutes to get breakfast which left us only 15 minutes before we had to leave for a day out to eat it. The hotel would benefit from double glazing as my room needed an electric heater in addition to the radiator to keep warm as there was a draught probably from the fire exit nearby. The hot water appears to go off after a certain time in the evening, as attempting to wash my face before retiring was done in tepid water. Another point is you can hear the slightest noise from adjoining rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid ones near fire exits.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Mary L
MrBinksGM, Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Dear Mary L,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed the food with us but I apologise if you were not satisfied with the service in the restaurant, as you can see from previous reviews this is not a usual issue we have. I only wish that you would have spoke to me during your stay so we could have sorted this out for you.

I have noted all your comments and I will pass this on at my next team meeting.

I do look forward to seeing you again.

Daniel Robert McDonald
Trainee Manager

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Just spent 4 days, as part of a National Holidays Friday - Monday break, and, Wow, what a brilliant stay. Ok, the impressive looking hotel is situated quite a way out of Melrose, but, that is the only (possible) drawback in our opinion. We had a super, spacious room on the ground floor (as requested), which had recently been refurbished. The food was as delicious as any I have tasted, well presented, and all the staff we came in contact with were very polite and friendly. Bar prices were reasonable, and the entertainment was very enjoyable.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AdeleLatham
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear AdeleLatham,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and would be happy to see you again soon.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

First time at this hotel, my husband took me away for my birthday and hotel was lovely. He asked about upgrading us but got confused as he was getting 2 different prices from 2 different people! We were in a refurbished room which was good so just stayed where we were. Food was ok even for me, a very fussy eater. Only downfall was on one of the nights there was no starter that I liked and in other Bay hotels I've been offered an alternative, on this occasion I wasn't. The staff in the restaurant were lovely, especially Eduardo, very cheery.
The downfall was on the Sunday after being out of the hotel from 10-3 that on our return our room had been left open by the maid. Thankfully nothing missing. We did report it to reception, heard nothing back but received a free drink as an apology. Still shouldn't of happened.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay, met some lovely people, the area is great, lots of scenery but not sure if I'd go back

Room Tip: Refurbished rooms are good but our one was on a corridor with no heating- freezing. Phone hotel in advance and ask about what room before travelling
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bopbops38
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear bopbops38,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

The Waverley Castle has 3 types of upgrades; Standard Plus; Superior; & Premier. So depending on the room types that are available at the time you ask depends of which type you where priced by the reception team.

I will raise your comments and concerns with the relevant department heads to ensure that what you experienced will not happen again. Thank you for bring these to my attention and please accept my sincerest apology.

I will pass your kind comments onto Eduardo and hope that you would come back and see us sometime.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Having been on several Shearing trips this was by far the best run one.Hotel excellent with the room we were staying in having just been refurbished.I know its an ongoing thing and when the bar area and entertainment room is fitted out then it will go up another level.On the bar area when it is redone i would suggest that it is opened for drinks sooner then 5.30.pm seems and bit late and a lot of trade missed through the day.Food well i know Shearings isn't known for its food but this was by far the best we have had in the group keep it up and please let the others know, means a lot when the food is right.Staff although there is a lot of overseas workers, these people were by far the best once again with there attitude and smile on their faces another tick for me.Last but not least entertainment again not Shearings known for it but James superb a brilliant all-rounder funny, excellent singer and great with the audience cant understand how you manage to keep him!This hotel should be the blue print for the rest of the group,management working well ,well done.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank PhillipKBurnley
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Dear PhillipBurnley,

Thank you for your glowing comments about the Waverley Castle Hotel. I will make sure that your comments are passed on at my next team meeting.

I agree with you about the Bar opening times. We are waiting until refurbishment is complete in the Bar so we can re-launch it to locals and passing trade.

James our Host we fight to keep as he is by my thoughts one of the best and are glad you also think the same.

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Just spent a great weekend at this lovely hotel. Situated on the outskirts of Melrose this grand hotel looks magnificent and the inside didn't disappoint either. The decor is much better than some of the Shearings hotels we have been to and our room was excellent. Very big, newly refurbished, flat screen tv, and spotlessly clean. On arrival there was mulled wine at reception which was a nice touch.
The food was excellent with a full Xmas Dinner with glass of wine served on the Saturday evening. Entertainment was most enjoyable and all the staff were extremely friendly, helpful and efficient.
I would certainly reccomend this hotel to anyone thinking of visiting this part of the country.

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor and the only complaint was that the bus driver came out really early in the morning and left the engine running (I assume to warm up the bus for the 9.30 trip). Having been looking forward to a bit of a lie in it was quite annoying to be wakened up at 7.30.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jeniffer011

Dear jeniffer011,

Thank you for your recent review of the Waverley Castle Hotel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your holiday with us and appreciated the refurbishment of the hotel so far.

Hope to see you again soon,