“Very nice 4 night escape”

Bay Waverley Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Melrose
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Very nice 4 night escape”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed here for a very pleasant January break with Shearings. Hotel has obviously gone through a thorough renovation and is looking good. Our room was very nicely decorated with a new Bathroom, although there wasn't too much heat in the bathroom so it was best to leave the door open from the bedroom. All of the hotel was very warm.
The dining room staff were very friendly and helpful although sometimes they seemed to disappear in the kitchen for a few minutes, probably to help prepare the dishes. The standard of the food was very good and the portions were fine. Especially for the price we paid. However when we stayed at the Marine in Llandudno in November the menu was more imaginative, although the quantity was slightly less. Overall it was excellent value for money with a good standard of entertainment.

1 Thank Edsveta
MrBinksGM, Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Edsveta,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Waverley Castle Hotel.

It is nice it is to read that you had a fantastic stay whilst with us and I am delighted on your kind words. It I lovely to see that what we do for you is not only being appreciated it is being noticed.

When we next hold a team meeting I will pass on your comments and I am sure they will be greatly received.

We look forward to seeing your return soon.

Trainee Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
dundee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

spent w/end at Waverly 24/1 to 27/1. had room 116,excellent!! Food very good. Staff could not do enough. entertainment first class. Building nice and warm. Would go back again.Weather not very good,but did not keep us in!!!!! View from b/room window good.

Room Tip: room 116 on first floor.great view
3 Thank dundeehighlander
Dear dundeehighlander,

I would just like to take this oppitunity to thank you for your lovely review on our hotel and it is wonderful to read that the reservations we are currently going through are being appreciated by yourself and other guests.

I am sure you will be with me when I say this but our team do work exceptionally hard and try their up most to achieve the best customer service and this really does make us proud.

It is also really nice to read even though the weather wasn’t at its best you still make the most of the beautiful surrounding Melrose has to offer.

We do hope and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards

Middlesbrough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights with National Holidays. Everything was first class especially the friendly and helpful staff. It is really unfair to single out staff, however Christine, Jorge, Allen and Klaudia did certainly go the extra mile. Some guests complained about waiting for their meals which I thought was very unfair as the staff worked very hard indeed. I do not like to be hurried when I am enjoying a beautiful meal in good company and especially when on holiday. We were on a table next to a couple from hell with the most apalling table manners and we asked to be moved. We were very lucky as there was a spare table so we were moved and next to a really lovely couple. We greatly appreciated this as mealtimes had become "hell". Everything was clean, our room was spacious, really comfortable bed and plenty of tea, coffee and milk. Our driver Seth really looked after us and took us to so many places. The meals were excellent and the Chef's special salad was fresh and crisp. Husband loved the home made soup.

Room Tip: We had a very large ground floor room with a king size bed ie standard plus and well worth the extra...
1 Thank goldenoldie79
Dear goldenoldie79,

I would just like to thank you for writing your review on our hotel and staff.

I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay with us and of course your ever so kind words are greatly received. I do have to agree with you saying it would be unfair to single out staff as we all aim to deliver the best customer service and try to make sure we all go that extra mile just to make each and everyone’s holiday just that little extra special.

I do hope to see you again in the near future.

All the best,

Kind Regards

Wallasey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

Some reviews had said this was the best run Shearing hotel they had been to, well they could not have been to the ones we have been to and as we were expecting great things we were disappointed.
The Hotel is about fifteen minute walk from Melrose and set in beautiful gardens leading down to the river. It is in the process of being renovated and should be lovely when finished. Such a shame the entertainment room could not have been one of the first to be made over as it is like sitting in an old church hall. Entertainment itself was quite good, James Mullaney was very funny and not a bad singer either but the best was Jay Jackson, would love to have had him more often, brilliant singer!
Our room looked like one of the refurbished ones but It was like sleeping on a battleship, the walls, doors AND paintwork were battleship gray. At least it was quiet, clean and comfortable and when we got there it was lovely and warm. Too warm for us so we turned the heater off and did not need it on again, in fact we had the window open most of the time, we found the whole hotel much too warm but I guess that is personal preference. The shower room (no bath) was the smallest I have ever seen! The toilet faced the shower and there was a 10 inch gap between them, might sound big enough but it was impossible to sit straight on and I am average hight. There was a badly fitting sliding door between the two rooms.
The staff were all very nice especially the bar staff. The poor dining room staff were run off their feet, not enough of them making service very slow. The people on the table next to us had to leave without breakfast one morning as they had to get their coach and had been waiting 40 minutes, not unusual for the section we were in. It was frustrating most nights watching people on other tables coming in after us and leaving before we had even been served, organisation was appalling, staff plonked the food down and ran so we didn't have a chance to say anything. Only once were we offered more tea and toast at breakfast. The water in the jugs just tasted like neat chlorine, we got it changed one night and it was fine but the staff were so busy we didn't like to ask every night. The food itself was lovely with a good choice, rather small portions, (2 new potatoes and 6 small chips each) The Gala dinner was a joke, we had the usual food with a very small spoonful of sorbet between courses.
The hotel should be lovely when it is finished but something needs to be done about the service.

2 Thank lesue14
Dear Lesue14,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel as we take pride in what we do and always strive to better our already well run hotel.

I am very pleased to read that you took full advantage of our beautiful gardens and surrounding areas as I do sometimes myself take a walk down to the river and into Melrose.

As you are aware we are indeed going through a thorough renovation and as you can imagine because of the size of our hotel we are renovating bit by bit and with that in mind we are going to be having the remaining Rooms, Ballroom and Restaurant refurbished in the next coming months, however I do apologise that our refurbished room wasn’t to your taste.

Having read that you were experiencing such problems in the Restaurant with service I could only thank you for your comments and I will pass this on to our team meeting. I do only wish this had been brought to our management’s attention then we would have rectified this for you straight away.

I will also pass on your ever so kind words to the staff in our next team meeting.

Once again I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write this review and we hope to see you again in the not to distant future.

Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

I booked with Shearings as a single and my room was good but had no heating in the bathroom apart from a towel rail which was nowhere near hot enough especially for January. The food was ok, pretty much what you would expect from a package holiday. However the service was not so good, clearly not enough staff who were obviously unable to cope, it took 45 minutes to get breakfast which left us only 15 minutes before we had to leave for a day out to eat it. The hotel would benefit from double glazing as my room needed an electric heater in addition to the radiator to keep warm as there was a draught probably from the fire exit nearby. The hot water appears to go off after a certain time in the evening, as attempting to wash my face before retiring was done in tepid water. Another point is you can hear the slightest noise from adjoining rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid ones near fire exits.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Mary L
MrBinksGM, Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Dear Mary L,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed the food with us but I apologise if you were not satisfied with the service in the restaurant, as you can see from previous reviews this is not a usual issue we have. I only wish that you would have spoke to me during your stay so we could have sorted this out for you.

I have noted all your comments and I will pass this on at my next team meeting.

I do look forward to seeing you again.

Batley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Just spent 4 days, as part of a National Holidays Friday - Monday break, and, Wow, what a brilliant stay. Ok, the impressive looking hotel is situated quite a way out of Melrose, but, that is the only (possible) drawback in our opinion. We had a super, spacious room on the ground floor (as requested), which had recently been refurbished. The food was as delicious as any I have tasted, well presented, and all the staff we came in contact with were very polite and friendly. Bar prices were reasonable, and the entertainment was very enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AdeleLatham
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear AdeleLatham,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and would be happy to see you again soon.

Luke Binks
aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

First time at this hotel, my husband took me away for my birthday and hotel was lovely. He asked about upgrading us but got confused as he was getting 2 different prices from 2 different people! We were in a refurbished room which was good so just stayed where we were. Food was ok even for me, a very fussy eater. Only downfall was on one of the nights there was no starter that I liked and in other Bay hotels I've been offered an alternative, on this occasion I wasn't. The staff in the restaurant were lovely, especially Eduardo, very cheery.
The downfall was on the Sunday after being out of the hotel from 10-3 that on our return our room had been left open by the maid. Thankfully nothing missing. We did report it to reception, heard nothing back but received a free drink as an apology. Still shouldn't of happened.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay, met some lovely people, the area is great, lots of scenery but not sure if I'd go back

Room Tip: Refurbished rooms are good but our one was on a corridor with no heating- freezing. Phone hotel in a...
2 Thank bopbops38
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear bopbops38,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

The Waverley Castle has 3 types of upgrades; Standard Plus; Superior; & Premier. So depending on the room types that are available at the time you ask depends of which type you where priced by the reception team.

I will raise your comments and concerns with the relevant department heads to ensure that what you experienced will not happen again. Thank you for bring these to my attention and please accept my sincerest apology.

I will pass your kind comments onto Eduardo and hope that you would come back and see us sometime.

Luke Binks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melrose
Burt's Hotel
Best Western Pus Scottish Borders Selkirk Philipburn Hotel
King's Arms Hotel
King's Arms Hotel
#5 of 7 in Melrose

Been to Bay Waverley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!