“Great Break, excellent entertainment” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bay Waverley Castle Hotel

Bay Waverley Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Melrose
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great Break, excellent entertainment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Just returned from a stay at the Waverley, room had been refurbished and was clean and comfortable. Reception staff were helpful and pleasant, the waiters/waitresses were friendly and nothing was too much trouble, bar staff were professional and helpful. The highlight of our stay was the resident entertainer James. He had a good singing voice, was a laugh a minute and worked hard even though the ballroom was half empty. His sense of humour and wit were priceless, and had to be taken in the right spirit.. Hope he is valued by Shearing's as he is an asset to their company. The hotel is value for money and you can see that improvements to the hotel are ongoing. It is a short walk into Melrose and is close to several stately homes. Have no complaints with this hotel and will be recommending it to friends. An excellent time had which was all down to the energetic host. Will definitely be returning to the Waverley

1 Thank sandie941
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Sandie941,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased to read that you found all the staff to be friendly and helpful.

I will pass your comments onto James, as am sure he would love to hear your praise.

Hope to see you again soon,

Luke Binks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Helensburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We had a lovely stay 9+10 May, helpful reception staff, we were allocated a double room and wanted a twin and we were cheerfully changed right away. Our room no.8 was lovely with pure white cotton bed linen, tea making facilities etc.
We found the dinning experience ,great ! we like our food and plenty of it. The young staff were fun and attentive to our every need, thank you Jennifer and the boys.
Entertainment was good on Friday 9th. with James the resident entertainer on for a short time and then a second male singer ,who was more adaptable for people like ourselves who like to dance.
On the Saturday night It was James that was on ALL NIGHT toooooo much.! and did not want people on the floor dancing, just all , me me me . His" Finally" was embarrassing, out with his begging hat left on the front of the stage, selling pictures of himself for a £1 each and letting everyone know he gets no share of the tips and complaining all the time about the people in the bar area not coming in to see him.
We enjoyed the Hotel and the lovely area , thank you

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Hi suebee18,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Your comments regarding the entertainment and the Host James will be passed onto the entertainment company hired by Shearings Hotels to action where necessary.

I will pass your comments onto Jennifer and the team later on today, when I next see them.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Waverley Castle and hope you come back to see us again soon.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Just stayed at the hotel on the 2nd May for three nights. Overall the hotel looks great but it isn't all that it seems. My sister and mum had down stairs rooms as they are disabled. The rooms very grubby and poor quality. I was given a room quite close but I could not have stayed in it at all. I did complain and was given a much better room upstairs. My sisters room had mould all around the toilet and my mothers room had noise all the time from water pipes.
Granted it was a cheap few days but what really upset me was the diner at night. The portion sizes were beyond belief. I has fish the first night which was about the size of a matchbox. The starters were the same and the puddings were in edible, except the cheese. It didn't get better the next two nights. Breakfast had about ten beans on plate and everything was cold. The only good thing was the entertainment on the Friday and Saturday. It was superb! The resident entertainer was a hoot even although have the place was empty with everyone staying in the bar. The bar didn't open till five which was a pain and you could only have lunch at a few tables in reception. We ended trailing to Melrose with two disabled people to have lunch and a drink. The staff were ok but never again! This is a great hotel in a great location. Get it up to modern standards and it will be good"

Room Tip: Ask for the first floor as I think these rooms have been refurbished.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Whitewine1952
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Whitewine1952,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Yours comments regarding the rooms are very harsh. The hotel has currently refurbished 54 out of 77 letting rooms with plans for a further 16 this year.

If you spoken to someone at the time in the Restaurant, them issues would have been rectify there and then.

While the bar opens at 5pm, drinks and lunches are available from ordering at Reception. There are 4 areas in which we serve drinks and lunches outside bar opening times. These are Reception lounge and outside, the games room, the reading room and the ballroom. The combined seating is 233 people so I don’t fully understand why you thought there wasn't enough seating.

Regards,

Luke Binks

Travellers are raving about these Melrose hotels

Wigan, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Went to Waverley Castle with Shearings, we upgraded our room to Superior but was disappointed with the view of the back of the hotel, kitchen and bin area! If I had know would have requested a room with a view. Room was large and had a very nice bathroom, shower and bath plus extra's shampoo etc. colour scheme a bit odd [battleship grey] is how I would describe it. Tea and coffee well stocked up and some biscuits very nice, worth the upgrade.
Food: well, I have said before don't expect too much and u won't be disappointed. Plain easy cooked food likely straight from a packet or freezer, that said it was fine and enough of it. Love the restaurant staff all very pleasant with good service, The people who had the new guy where not so lucky but he was trying hard and some people where a little vexed with him. Everyone is new at sometime.
We had a lovely walk by the river to Melrose, visited the Abbey and then had a very nice lunch out.
Entertainment has been mentioned before, James has a great sense of humour and we enjoyed most of his work, [Sorry James got a bit bored with so much of the very old stuff]
To end Shearings do offer value for money not sure if we would go there again but will go with Shearings in the future again and was a nice break. tx

Room Tip: if u upgrade ur room make sure you ask for a view
1 Thank dot_mc
Dear dot_mc,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of us here at the Waverley Castle hotel.

Your comments regarding the battleship grey are confusing as the superior rooms are a roasting bracken colour.

While you were unfortunate with your view, we do not advertise views or sell views rooms at this hotel.

Despite the above, I am glad to read that you enjoyed the facilities we offered in your room and that you found us value for money.

Perth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Arrived in the afternoon,our room rather small with a somewhat cramped en suite shower room which had a very clogged shower head,thus reducing the water flow. The chambermaid did clean this on the first morning after I had left it in the shower tray. This improved the flow slightly. No Central heating in our 3rd floor room, there was an electric radiator which we left on. The heated towel rail was operated by a timed boost switch to a maximum of 2hours.
The staff were superb in all departments. The hotel is a good mile out of the centre of Melrose, transport essential.

Room Tip: Ask for an already modernised updated room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sheila I
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Shiela I,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Firstly may I offer an apology for your shower head. This is something that should have been picked up by my Housekeeping team.

While there is no central heating in some parts the hotel, there is electric heating provided offering the same heat exchange as central. Scotland is a very rural place in some parts and has little to no mains gas due to location etc.

Towel rails are on boosted timers to help make the environment a little safer you the next generation, this is one of many projects on the hotel becoming more greener.

While Melrose is 1 mile away, most of our guests like to walk down to burn off there breakfasts and either walk or come back via bus. Buses run every 30 minutes into Melrose, so regardless if you have a car or not, there is always a way to see Melrose.

I am glad that you found the staff to be superb; I will pass this onto them tomorrow at my team meeting.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope to see you again.

Lancashire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel in November on a special turkey and tinsel break with Shearing's coach tours, it was a lovely break, the xmassy atmosphere was great, the hotel was beautiful like a type of castle, the staff service in dining room was great they worked really hard, and the entertainment and the food was very good, the gala evening was splendid plenty to eat and a free drink, and Phil McCaverty alias James was a great entertainer, he was really funny and camp and had a wonderful singing voice, he needs discovering on TV he was the best I've seen live of his kind of act. The hotel is so near the beautiful River Tweed I was walking along there on a sunny afternoon taking some beautiful autumn pictures there...what a location, whilst there the tour took us round all the places regarding Sir Walter Scott and Scott's View what a view of the castle mountains and woodland there, I allso visited Kelso his burial place on the tour and missed the coach back..after a long time I managed to get a taxi with difficulty, which cost me £25 I got no help from the hotel regarding that, as my watch had stopped I hadn't noticed..it was quite distressing especially when I found someone had been in my room later and found some things missing a pair of blue check pj bottoms and a pair of flesh pink jeans, there was a fire drill as soon as I got back, I thought that was strange and a resident in the pjs that went missing before I realised they were missing, I also saw her in the pink jeans the next day, I put 2 and 2 together too late I did send an email about it, but they couldn't help, apparently this person thought I wasn't coming back when I went missing and was after using and looting my room, it was a resident wether any of the staff knew about her I wouldn't know or would never know, but one thing there was such a look of surprise on her face when she discovered I'd returned, my description of her is she was tall thin about 40ish and long curly brown hair..apart from that my holiday was very good, we visited hollyrood house and had a tour of Edingburgh city that was really good, I had a walk along the royal mile and princes park looked around the xmas market, with autumn trees glowing with gold...I visited the art centre near Market Street and had a beautiful vegetarian lunch the best I've ever had of that type of food, it rained for a bit in Edingburgh but that was only the one day out of 5 lovely days last autumn, it was value for money and I would go again ill make sure I look at more than one time piece in future...there were pipers playing carol singing, scottish dancers and bingo as well as the other good entertainment, I met some nice people from Kent whilst I was there I do wish we swapped addresses, I would have loved to have kept in touch.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view it's worth paying the extra with a view of the River Tweed at the bac...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank 983joans
Dear 983joans,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on us here at the Waverley Castle hotel.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the service, staff and entertainment experience while you were here.

I am sorry to hear, about your missed coach departure while on excursion, caused by your watch stopping. Your coach driver did spend over 45 mins with another shearing’s coach searching for yourselves in Kelso which did delay other holiday makers on their next excursion, and hotel procedures would have started with relevant authorities to try and find and assist you if needed.

I don’t understand why you didn’t informed us at the time if you thought someone had been in your room as we could have done something about it, as security is a number one priority for us and this is a very unusual incident for our hotel..

I am glad that despite your certain mishaps, you found us value for money and would come back again.

Greenock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

second occasion at this hotel. room very large and spotless.easter card and eggs on arrival was nice touch.great service in restaurant,food good.again easter eggs on sunday lovely surprise.thoroughly enjoyed entertainment provided.stunning river walks close by.will be returning again soon. Please convey our thanks to your very efficient staff.

Room Tip: If possible take advantage of room upgrades on offer
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brian B
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear Brian B,

Thank you for your lovely review. I will make sure your comments are passed on to the staff at there next team meetings.

Hope to see you again soon,

Luke Binks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melrose
Burt's Hotel
Station Hotel
#4 of 7 in Melrose
Best Western Plus Philipburn House Hotel
Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders

Been to Bay Waverley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!