“Third visit”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Melrose
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Third visit”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We booked a weekend break Fri/Mon at this Shearing's owned hotel. Although the price quoted was £248 the website would not confirm my reservation. I phoned head office to be told that there was only one 'premier' room left but that cost an additional £99. I was told that a discount code I had received by email did not apply. I booked anyway but while at the hotel overheard reception staff quoting standard and superior rooms as being available!
The stay was excellent with high quality food, service (apart from reception) and entertainment. Particularly helpful were Jenni and Daniel in the dining room, Alan and Symon in the bar and Uan on night porter duties.

Room Tip: Maybe pay the inflated rate for a 'superior' or 'premier' room although we met frien...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear jerryattrick,

Thank you once again for a lovely review of the Waverley Castle Hotel. I am glad to see that we are still offering good service from your last review in 2012.

I apologise if you think that reception didn’t offer good service. However we did not take your booking and while there was only a Premier Room from when your break started, there were checkouts on the Saturdays, which gave the reception team rooms to sell.

Hope to see you again soon.

Luke Binks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

A first foray into the southern reaches of the old country and a salutary experience it was. The reception in any hotel creates the first impression and sets the tone. And so it was here. Nobody at home for approximately twenty minutes as we tried in vain to check in. Search parties failed to locate a single member of staff and my girlfriend resorted to phoning reception on her mobile!! Even this failed. Add to this depressing decor, over-cooked breakfast and the inability even to issue a receipt on check-out and you get the picture. This is a conveyor-belt, tour-company hotel processing large numbers of elderly guests on an industrial scale and wasn't a pleasant experience. You have been warned!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank JoetheBusDriver
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear JoetheBusDriver,

I deeply apologise for the time it took to check you and your partner in. The receptionist was attending to another guest on the first floor. The receptionist was only away from his desk for 10 Minutes, so I don't really understand why you have said double that.

The Hotel is currently undergoing an on-going refurbishment which will see a new Bar and Ballroom next month. I certainly wouldn't have said it was depressing in any way.

I apologise and I will speak to my Reception team on why a receipt/invoice was not offered.

Your comments regarding our clitenal are highly offensive and completely wrong. I do however suggest that we are not the type of hotel for you and wish you every luck with your future travel needs.

Luke Binks

Travellers are raving about these Melrose hotels

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Firstly the staff were very good, helpful and polite. James, the entertainer did his best with the audience he had! Don't think all the old people appreciated the 'camp' humour or jokes about their age. But he worked hard.
Sadly the windows needed a good clean. I WAS on the ground floor and had no nets to guard my privacy. The corridors had a musty smell but hotel was clean apart from that. Excellent value for the money I paid.
Agree about the Peebles trip, Melrose was nicer.

Room Tip: Restaurant, bar etc on Ist floor, so use lifts or book that floor if infirm.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank Vi Vien S
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Vi Vien S,

Thank you for writing your recent review of us here at the Waverley Castle Hotel.

I will look into your window remark as the windows were only cleaned 3 days prior to your arrival.

Net curtains were fazed out and replaced with blinds, however if you had wished for net curtains, you only had to ask.

I have checked the corridors myself and at no point on any floor have I come across a musty smell.

I am glad that you found us value for money despite the slight inconveniencies to yourself during your stay.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We have just returned from a five day break in Melrose. We are old hands at the Bay Hotel Group, and have always been more than happy with the "value for money" factor. The Waverley Castle was no exception - in fact I would put it very close to the top in this very competitive sector of the industry. Set on a hillside in attractively laid out grounds, the hotel looks good from the outside. Inside, it was clear that a large refurbishment was drawing to a close, and it was money well spent. Our room was spacious and comfortable. The bar and lounge facilities were well laid out and comfortable. The breakfasts and dinners were as good as any, and better than most. The staff were an example of what can be achieved by good training, management and motivation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank John P
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear John P,

Thank you for taken the time to write your review of us here at the Waverley Castle hotel.

I am pleased to read that you found us value for money and in keeping with the high standards of the Bay estate.

Hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

If I had to write this review after the first 10 minutes at the Waverley Castle I would have been telling it very differently. The woman on reception was grumpy and obviously didn't want to be there. The room that we were allocated was cold and had a damp patch on the wall. When we plucked up the courage to go back to see the reception lady we were told immediately that there were no other rooms available. However when my wife explained that I have lung cancer and can't tolerate the damp she did somehow manage to find one. This is when our stay changed. The second room was much warmer and dry. We didn't see the grumpy woman again and all the members of the staff that we encountered after that were very pleasant. The dining room was pleasant and the food was ok with a decent choice of meals. The location is good. To sum up, After the first half hour we had a pleasant stay and decent value for the price we payed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Andy M
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Andy M,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that the second room was more to your liking.

I don't understand the 'grumpy lady comment', as my male, Trainee Manager dealt with the issues you raised and ensure that you got a room more suited to your needs. The lady in question only welcomed the coach and give out keys on arrival and she was on shift again during your stay.

I am however pleased that you found the rest of the staff friendly during your stay.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Spent a day here whilst dropping my mother and disabled father off at the hotel, after a 2 hour drive we met the shearings bus on the way in but the receptionist was swift in booking in and we waited no time at all. My dad had his oxygen delivered to the room and all was set up when we arrived. The room was large enough for a wheel chair to get around and the bathroom was very good for a bath etc. the room was nicely decorated and even had an orthopaedic bed in the room.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrew S
Dear Andrew S,

Thank you for the kind review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Waverley Castle.

Hope to see you again in the near future,

Wimborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We went on a Shearings 5 day break in May to Melrose. The hotel was excellent and the staff very friendly. Our room was surprisingly spacious, clean and had everything we needed, although it would have been nice had we had freeview, 4 channels was very limiting in view of the dire entertainment in the ballroom - sorry but it was so corny and aimed at 80+ yrs - very Hi-di-hi.

The trip to Edinburgh was great - do go to the Castle, you need at least 4 hours there. Jedburgh was also pretty interesting, especially Mary Queen of Scots house.

If you are offered an extra trip to Galashiels/Peebles I would not recommend it, you will be better off walking into Melrose which is far nicer, I wish we had spent more time there and not wasted the money on the trip. I recommend The Ship Inn in Melrose for a good meal.

Room Tip: Room 7 on ground floor was quiet, spacious and newly decorated.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Heather M
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Heather M,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of us here at the Waverley Castle hotel.

Your comments regarding tours and freeview will be passed onto the relevant people.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your room and the staff at the hotel.

With regards to the entertainment, I am afraid it’s down to individual taste and as you can see from previous reviews, our entertainment programme is enjoyed by most.

Hope you come back and see us,

Luke Binks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melrose
The Townhouse Hotel
#4 of 7 in Melrose
Dryburgh Abbey Hotel
Dryburgh Abbey Hotel
#1 of 2 in St Boswells

Been to Bay Waverley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!