“Could do better.”

Bay Waverley Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Melrose
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Second visit here, we won't go again. Food average at best, some undercooked, some overcooked and NOT hot. Asked for wine with meal, the wine waiter will attend to you ( he actually was the barman as well) 35 minutes later he turns up, we are having dessert, no thanks. Went out for a run, got back to find the reception man doubling as a barman therefore you must go up to the bar to get him to come downstairs to get the room key, not good. More staff required I think. The entertainment, it speaks for itself, about 20 in the hall, 80+ in for dinner, enough said. Mr Binks you need to manage more, shortcuts lead to poor customer service.

1  Thank james d
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear james d,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Your comment will be reviewed and actioned where needed.

Regards,

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just returned from another visit to hotel. Think this was our fourth time there. As usual everything was lovely from check in by very polite young man to staff in bar and in dining room. Entertainment was not supported by many people but the two guys done their best.
Only downfall to visit was the attitude of receptionist on saturday morning. Think a lesson in people skills would go along way. You do not leave customers standing at desk while you sit and look at computer screen then glower at them. Asked a civil question about Added Value Card which is advertised in room as we were going to visit Floors Castle. Answer was what card are you talking about? Then was told that there was no point in her giving us a card as Kelso Show was on in castle grounds and they wouldn't accept card. Went to visit castle as planned to find out that show was no where near castle grounds and card would have been accepted.
It's a pity that the attitude of one person can spoil what otherwise would have been an excellent review. Well done to all other staff as their attitude and helpfulness was very much appreciated.

Room Tip: Been in various rooms. All been okay. Room 30 lovely and large.
1  Thank eleanor k

Dear elenor k,

Thank you for taking your time to write your review on us here at the Waverley Castle hotel.

I am please to read that you are one of our many returners.

I'm deeply sorry to read that one of my team did not live up to the high standard of customer care we train at our hotel. Please rest assured that this will be dealt with and rectified immediately.

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Returned from Shearings 5 day holiday. to Melrose, Waverley Castle. Had a single room. Ensuite in 'Broom Cupboard' no window, no fan. Door only opened half way, then hit wall. Had to walk in stand by loo, close door to get to the shower. Handbasin in room. Weather was very hot, but could only open window 4". HAD TO PAY a supplement for this - !

Would not go again, PS

Room Tip: Try to find out what the single room is like and it is worth paying a supplement!!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank Patricia S
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Patricia S,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your room with us here at the Waverley Castle Hotel. The hotel is currently undergoing an ongoing refurbishment plan.

I will pass your comments onto the people you booked through regarding the single supplement.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We arrived for our one night treat dead on 3pm and managed to squeeze in before the arriving coach party disembarked. The room was clean, on the ground floor with a nice view of the garden. On the whole, the hotel felt in need of attention, although the staff we met were very accommodating and friendly. We ate out, as it was a lovely evening, fancied a walk to Melrose and enjoyed our evening. Where the hotel did let us down however was the breakfast. We were not informed of the time of breakfast either at Reception or in the room and so guessed safely at 8.30am. Nobody showed us to a table in the already packed dining room, and so after two minutes of attempting and failing to locate a member of staff, we sat at the nearest vacant table. We were promptly moved on as soon as we sat, as longer terms guests had already been allocated there. This was okay, if a bit irritating, but the real problem was the food. Undercooked and overcooked on the same plate. The full breakfast was almost inedible and my scrambled egg on toast was on bread, not toast. By this time, we were just ready to leave. A disappointing experience, when we had hoped for something special.

1  Thank BarbWooler
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear BarbWooler,

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your experience with us here at the Waverley Castle.

I apologise if the receptionist did not inform you of the dining times in the Restaurant, this is certainly an isolated incident. There is however a guest information pack in your room that explains this all for you though.

I will investigate your comments regarding your breakfast and action where needed.

I am pleased that you found my staff accommodating and friendly.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We really enjoyed our 5 days break,at this hotel.Food was good,different menu each night,plus you could order chef 's special if you wanted to. I pre-booked room 2,which had a walk in shower and was on the ground floor,as my Husband is Disabled and cannot walk to far without being breathless. Our room had been re-furbished and it looked really nice and had a lovely clean, comfortable bed.We overlooked the back of the hotel,where a couple of cars were parked.Never heard any noise from outside,and we had 3 windows .Only noise we heard,was from the next room.Older guy left bathroom light on all night,which was attached to the fan,and it buzzed all night,but the night watchman sorted it out for us. Entertainment was great,especially GARY,he was FANTASTIC...he could make his accordion talk.Hotel Great..Will go back again someday.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank whiteroseFortWilliam
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear whiteroseFortWilliam,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of us here at the Waverley Castle hotel.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass your comments on at my next team meeting.

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We booked a weekend break Fri/Mon at this Shearing's owned hotel. Although the price quoted was £248 the website would not confirm my reservation. I phoned head office to be told that there was only one 'premier' room left but that cost an additional £99. I was told that a discount code I had received by email did not apply. I booked anyway but while at the hotel overheard reception staff quoting standard and superior rooms as being available!
The stay was excellent with high quality food, service (apart from reception) and entertainment. Particularly helpful were Jenni and Daniel in the dining room, Alan and Symon in the bar and Uan on night porter duties.

Room Tip: Maybe pay the inflated rate for a 'superior' or 'premier' room although we met frien...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear jerryattrick,

Thank you once again for a lovely review of the Waverley Castle Hotel. I am glad to see that we are still offering good service from your last review in 2012.

I apologise if you think that reception didn’t offer good service. However we did not take your booking and while there was only a Premier Room from when your break started, there were checkouts on the Saturdays, which gave the reception team rooms to sell.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

A first foray into the southern reaches of the old country and a salutary experience it was. The reception in any hotel creates the first impression and sets the tone. And so it was here. Nobody at home for approximately twenty minutes as we tried in vain to check in. Search parties failed to locate a single member of staff and my girlfriend resorted to phoning reception on her mobile!! Even this failed. Add to this depressing decor, over-cooked breakfast and the inability even to issue a receipt on check-out and you get the picture. This is a conveyor-belt, tour-company hotel processing large numbers of elderly guests on an industrial scale and wasn't a pleasant experience. You have been warned!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank JoetheBusDriver
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear JoetheBusDriver,

I deeply apologise for the time it took to check you and your partner in. The receptionist was attending to another guest on the first floor. The receptionist was only away from his desk for 10 Minutes, so I don't really understand why you have said double that.

The Hotel is currently undergoing an on-going refurbishment which will see a new Bar and Ballroom next month. I certainly wouldn't have said it was depressing in any way.

I apologise and I will speak to my Reception team on why a receipt/invoice was not offered.

Your comments regarding our clitenal are highly offensive and completely wrong. I do however suggest that we are not the type of hotel for you and wish you every luck with your future travel needs.

Luke Binks

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melrose
Burt's Hotel
Best Western Plus Scottish Borders, Selkirk Philipburn Hotel
Station Hotel
Station Hotel
#4 of 7 in Melrose

Been to Bay Waverley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!