“Hotel management should be ashamed.”

Bay Waverley Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Melrose
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I need to read tripadvisor reviews before booking any more hotel. From the outside the hotel looked fine surrounded on all sides by mature trees. Didn't expect what I found on the inside though. We were given ROOM 1(should have read the reviews). Can only really repeat what other reviews have said. Grubby carpets, TV only received 4 channels. Lack of storage space (medium sized cheap wardrobe and one drawer in the dressing table) totally inadequate. Depressing decor, 3 walls of some shade of grey I think we decided it was. The bathroom was less than basic. An old bathroom suite of which the bath looked like the original survivor from the 1970's. Replacement basin and toilet that didn't match. The bathroom had had a splash of paint at sometime to spruce it up. The splashes were still on the tops of the bath taps, the wall brackets of the towel heater and the edges of the tiles and toilet. The tiles had also been painted white but the paint was now flaking off to reveal the original blue colour. There was only one small shelf for toiletries and no toilet roll holder. A major problem with ROOM 1 is that it is located below the dining room/kitchen area. Before during and after meal times you have the sound of things being dragged on the floor. Things being dropped on the floor, but worst of all the constant sound of staff walking about. Some seem to wear heavier footwear than others. An acceptable level of noise is usually attained around 9.45 in the evening.
The rest of the hotel I saw was just tatty and scruffy. The bedroom doors had a variety of different (cheap) handles. Some doors didn't have handles. Dirty paint work on doors around handles and finger plates, but my favourite had got to be the main handrails on the stairs fixed to the walls by what could only be described as ugly pieces of scrap wood from somebody's shed. Somebody should hang their head in shame.
Breakfast was okay.
As for the staff I'll have to split them into 2 categories. The young staff in the dining room were very good. Always pleasant, helpful, polite and smiling. The receptionist on the other hand wasn't. We arrived back at the hotel on Sunday evening around 7, the receptionist was nowhere to be found. After a 10 minute wait (and enough shouting to raise the dead) we went in search of her and was finally told she had just left the dining room. I found her in the corridor with a plate of food in her hand. I told her we had been waiting for 10 minutes for our key but no apology she was more concerned about eating her dinner before it got cold. Totally unprofessional management. We shall not return.

Room Tip: It's been said before but I'll say it again. If you are offered ROOM1 refuse it.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Peter R
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Guest,

I have read your review in great detail, I believe that not only were you harsh; but there were certain parts of your review that are just not true.

The wardrobe in your room certainly costs more and is bigger than the usual standard wardrobes you buy for your home. There is enough space to comfortably store 16 hanging items and it also has 4 big compartments for you to store your folder cloth items. As a hotel our wardrobes are designed to the needs of our guests and for a 3 day stay i believe that is more than enough space for clothes.

I have checked the maintenance book and at no point did you notify so there was an issue with your TV.

Your bedroom carpet was brand new in December 2013 as was the bedroom. While your bathroom is down to be done on the refurbishment plan, it is however clean and fully functional.

Your comments regarding the doors, hand rail and receptionist is completely exaggerated.

I wish you every luck with your future travels.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I should have read the reviews before booking. Many reviewers complain about room 315 being in a very poor condition and I can confirm after my stay it is disgusting with filthy carpets and very
poorly maintained.
I am sure the hotel will respond by saying they are in the middle of a refurbishment programme,
but why let this room in the first place?
Breakfast was poor with cold food and very small portions.
Will give this hotel a big swerve next time I am in Scotland.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank JPT7
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of us here at the Waverley Castle hotel.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is my second time here. Every time I come here we are greeted with homely and friendly staff.

The food at the hotel was just as good as before. Dinning room was a bit hot, but then again it was nearly 28oC outside.

Hotel was great value for money and will be back again soon.

Room Tip: refurbish rooms are really good
2  Thank Luke B
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Lu B,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Waverley Castle hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be friendly. I shall pass your comments on at my next team meeting,

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Second visit here, we won't go again. Food average at best, some undercooked, some overcooked and NOT hot. Asked for wine with meal, the wine waiter will attend to you ( he actually was the barman as well) 35 minutes later he turns up, we are having dessert, no thanks. Went out for a run, got back to find the reception man doubling as a barman therefore you must go up to the bar to get him to come downstairs to get the room key, not good. More staff required I think. The entertainment, it speaks for itself, about 20 in the hall, 80+ in for dinner, enough said. Mr Binks you need to manage more, shortcuts lead to poor customer service.

1  Thank james d
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear james d,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Your comment will be reviewed and actioned where needed.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just returned from another visit to hotel. Think this was our fourth time there. As usual everything was lovely from check in by very polite young man to staff in bar and in dining room. Entertainment was not supported by many people but the two guys done their best.
Only downfall to visit was the attitude of receptionist on saturday morning. Think a lesson in people skills would go along way. You do not leave customers standing at desk while you sit and look at computer screen then glower at them. Asked a civil question about Added Value Card which is advertised in room as we were going to visit Floors Castle. Answer was what card are you talking about? Then was told that there was no point in her giving us a card as Kelso Show was on in castle grounds and they wouldn't accept card. Went to visit castle as planned to find out that show was no where near castle grounds and card would have been accepted.
It's a pity that the attitude of one person can spoil what otherwise would have been an excellent review. Well done to all other staff as their attitude and helpfulness was very much appreciated.

Room Tip: Been in various rooms. All been okay. Room 30 lovely and large.
1  Thank eleanor k

Dear elenor k,

Thank you for taking your time to write your review on us here at the Waverley Castle hotel.

I am please to read that you are one of our many returners.

I'm deeply sorry to read that one of my team did not live up to the high standard of customer care we train at our hotel. Please rest assured that this will be dealt with and rectified immediately.

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Returned from Shearings 5 day holiday. to Melrose, Waverley Castle. Had a single room. Ensuite in 'Broom Cupboard' no window, no fan. Door only opened half way, then hit wall. Had to walk in stand by loo, close door to get to the shower. Handbasin in room. Weather was very hot, but could only open window 4". HAD TO PAY a supplement for this - !

Would not go again, PS

Room Tip: Try to find out what the single room is like and it is worth paying a supplement!!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank Patricia S
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Patricia S,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your room with us here at the Waverley Castle Hotel. The hotel is currently undergoing an ongoing refurbishment plan.

I will pass your comments onto the people you booked through regarding the single supplement.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We arrived for our one night treat dead on 3pm and managed to squeeze in before the arriving coach party disembarked. The room was clean, on the ground floor with a nice view of the garden. On the whole, the hotel felt in need of attention, although the staff we met were very accommodating and friendly. We ate out, as it was a lovely evening, fancied a walk to Melrose and enjoyed our evening. Where the hotel did let us down however was the breakfast. We were not informed of the time of breakfast either at Reception or in the room and so guessed safely at 8.30am. Nobody showed us to a table in the already packed dining room, and so after two minutes of attempting and failing to locate a member of staff, we sat at the nearest vacant table. We were promptly moved on as soon as we sat, as longer terms guests had already been allocated there. This was okay, if a bit irritating, but the real problem was the food. Undercooked and overcooked on the same plate. The full breakfast was almost inedible and my scrambled egg on toast was on bread, not toast. By this time, we were just ready to leave. A disappointing experience, when we had hoped for something special.

1  Thank BarbWooler
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear BarbWooler,

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your experience with us here at the Waverley Castle.

I apologise if the receptionist did not inform you of the dining times in the Restaurant, this is certainly an isolated incident. There is however a guest information pack in your room that explains this all for you though.

I will investigate your comments regarding your breakfast and action where needed.

I am pleased that you found my staff accommodating and friendly.

Luke Binks

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melrose
Burt's Hotel
Best Western Plus Scottish Borders, Selkirk Philipburn Hotel
Station Hotel
Station Hotel
#4 of 7 in Melrose

Been to Bay Waverley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!