My fiance and I booked the Selkirk Suite at Cringletie House for our "Honeymoon" (we took our honeymoon before the wedding to see a concert in Glasgow, but that's besides the point). Our stay was for our first night in Scotland, and we are both elated that we were able to stay here, even if it was only for one night. We were greeted by a very friendly member of staff upon arrival who showed us up to our (stunning) suite. Really, the photos do not do this room justice!We opted to have the chocolates in our room upon arrival, which were absolutely brilliant - well worth the money. This suite was nearly as large as our house back in Canada, with it's separate sitting room, larger bedroom, and huge and beautiful bathroom. It was very well decorated and very clean, and the teddy bear on the bed was a charming touch. I can not say enough good about this suite. You simply must stay in it to believe it.
As we were jet lagged, we had a nap and freshened up, just in time for dinner. I can not state enough how wonderful that experience was. We were served aperitifs (I had their lovely house white wine, and my fiance had a dark rum and coke. With our drinks, we enjoyed a beautiful tray of wasabi peas, black olives (I wish I would have asked what kind they were! they were amazing), and smoked almonds. Once we had made our dinner selection (we opted for the basic menu, as it sounded perfect), we were shown to our table in the gorgeous dining room. Our server was lovely; attentive and efficient. The maitre d' was a wonderful gentleman who did his best to make sure our experience was perfect and memorable, even to the point of adjusting his service to make us and the other diners feel comfortable (he was extremely formal with the other guests, who were clearly more accustomed to the high-class dining experience, and more laid back and fun with us, obviously sensing that we were inexperienced with this type of dining. For instance, he mentioned the trampoline on the grounds with a smile and twinkle in his eye). As per our menu choice, we were served a beautiful and succulent bit of pork belly (by all accounts, the star of the show - it was brilliant and absolutely perfectly cooked), a wonderfully tender and juicy beef dish with asparagus and roasted potato (also perfectly cooked), and the house red wine, which accompanied our meal perfectly. For dessert, we had a beautiful dish; white chocolate base with beautiful green blown sugar. It may have had pistachios on it, but I can't quite remember (by this point we were near the end of our bottle of wine ;D) The evening could not have been more perfect.
The next morning, we had breakfast in the same dining room, which was even more beautiful in the daylight. The gardens made a stunning backdrop for our delicious hot breakfast of blueberry pancakes and creme fraiche, pastries, and fresh fruit. I had a lovely pot of tea with my breakfast, and my fiance had fruit juice. We checked out of our room shortly after breakfast, feeling very well rested and extremely satisfied. It's really a shame that our travels did not leave us closer to Cringletie House, as we would have loved to stay again. Alas, we had too much to see in this beautiful country to stay at just one place. We will return next time we find ourselves in Scotland.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cringletie House is a luxurious Country House Hotel, set in 28 stunning acres, just outside Peebles and 30 minutes south of Edinburgh, in the Scottish Borders.With 4 Red Stars, Cringletie Hotel is the only AA Top Hotel (Inspector's choice) in the Scottish Borders. No other hotel in this location has been awarded 4 Gold Stars by Visit Scotland. The Sutherland Restaurant at Cringletie is considered one of Peebles' top restaurants and our Head Chef ensures his menus reflect the changing seasons with locally sourced produce. The hotel's bedrooms are individually decorated and all have glorious views over the gardens and rolling countryside. All rooms offer FREE WiFi, LCD TV, Bathrobe & Slippers and a range of Molten Brown Toiletries. The hotel has a specially designed accessible room with wheelchair access - and lifts to all floors. For our guests who seek the outdoors the range of opportunities are truly limitless. The region boasts some of the best mountain biking in the UK at Glentress, fishing on the Tweed (Europe's premier salmon fishing river), and some of the best field sports and golf in Scotland. If you are touring Scotland with your best (four-legged) friend we welcome dogs to the Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Ebookers, Odigeo, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Cringletie House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cringletie House Hotel Peebles
- Cringletie Hotel Peebles
- Cringletie House Peebles, Scotland