Cringletie House
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
  • Pool
Very Good 4/5
All reviewswalled gardenafternoon teajunior suitetasting menumatching winesluxury roomon arrivalcountry housedining roomextensive groundspublic roomsthe general managersandwichesfor sunday lunchgrounds are lovelyhotel is beautifulspecial occasion
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 June 2014

On Saturday accompanied by My Daughter, My Sister and My Mother we traveled to Peebles for Afternoon Tea.
What can I say it was wonderful. The staff were very welcoming, we were met in the car park and escorted to our table. The afternoon tea was delicious and we enjoyed our afternoon in comfort and luxury.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Hotel is beautiful, cleanliness perfect, food the best I've ever had, staff wonderful... But incredibly understaffed. I've never felt so sorry for a collective group of staff in my life. John is wonderful, a complete credit to the hotel and how he managed to keep everything under control with the limited staff he had will forever be a wonder to me. Breakfast as well, only kept together by a lovely English girl who was rather rudely spoken to by other customers, how she kept her cool I have no idea.
I have worked in hospitality once before and it was hard, but to that scale.. I don't think I'd of survived.

On another note, the general manager.. You can tell he's trying to be nice but there's an air of pompousness about him, also he has terrible coffee breath and no respect for anyone's personal space. Just a tip for him, don't stand so close to people! Bad breath or not I know you were trying to be friendly but that's overstepping.
Will return, but I hope that in future they give the staff a break and put a few more able bodies on.

Well done cringletie staff, you are wonderful.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Nglnd
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We have just had a lovely 4 nights in this Hotel. Took my charming wife and her two dogs with me. Let's start with the dogs- this hotel is dog friendly and we never felt at any time that our two norfolk terriers were in any way other than welcome. All the staff and to be honest most of the locals were always keen to help and say hello. Full marks on dog friendly.

We had the Melrose suite which was spotlessly clean and lovely. Fantastic bed. Nice bay window with table chairs and complimentary decanter of whisky. Rennie Mackintosh style room with a few interestingly different additions. Also very quiet for the dogs who settled well.

Food, evening meals and afternoon tea where all delivered to a high standard and excellent produce. Only down side here is if you stay too long the menu doesn't change too much and with a vegetarian wife can be limited. so for us 4 nights is the max.However staff gave freely of local advice on other places to try which is refreshingly honest.

Staff- all staff where exceptionally polite and helpful - don't rush them and you will enjoy every moment. Hotel has some quirky aspects but these just add to the charm. Who wants to be in a chain hotel after all.

Set near Peebles which is a must visit town along with near by Moffat, and Melrose and loads of local historic places to see this was a fantastic location.

All in all a great break thanks and you get what you pay for! Check out this one before you book anything else in the area.

Mach.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Macheovelli
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in a Junior Suite, dining each evening. I don't write many reviews but always enjoy reading others. However, Cringletie House was such a wonderful place to stay and I wanted to put on record that some of the recently posted negative comments were certainly not our experience.

We travel for leisure very regularly. The phrase 'you get what you pay for' is often true. At Cringletie you pay for quality and they deliver on every level. Within a few hours of booking online I received a confirmation email from the owner Johanna. This was the most professional and comprehensive communication of it's kind I have ever received. From room layout, bedding, dietary requirements and dinner reservations, it was a bespoke service from someone who came over as wonderfully organised. That attention to detail was also mirrored at the end of our stay. Rarely is the final invoice correct at many establishments. At Cringletie it was 100% spot on at the first attempt. A joy !!

Upon our arrival we were warmly greeted in the car park and assisted with our luggage. In a similar manner to our stay at The Savoy in London, check in is undertaken in a small room to the right of the lobby and you are comfortably seated at a desk to complete the formalities. It makes such a difference.

The room was excellent and the bathroom exceptionally clean.... I checked extra carefully !! Biscuits and other refreshments were replenished daily. There was a turn down service each evening.

Dining is just a wonderfully indulgent experience. You commence with a drink in the bar or lounge where you can relax with the menu over nibbles and canapes. We found a high staff to guest ratio, so service was very attentive and questions about specific dishes were answered
promptly. Your drinks are carried for you as you are escorted to your table. These small touches are just the icing on the cake.

We can only be praise worthy about the food. Quality ingredients, well cooked, always hot and with a nicely paced level of service. The staff were chatty, helpful and ultimately professional.

We had read a previous reveiw about an 'air of penny pinching' before our arrival. It was quite an 'in joke' that we would look out for tell tale signs of it. Do they look to cut corners and save money at Cringletie ?? We had a decanter of whiskey in our suite. A vast array of quality cosmetics in the bathroom. Drinks in the bar arrived with copious complimentary bar nibbles. A trio of homemade breads are proffered with Dinner and your table features the most extravagant Villeroy & Boch crockery. They don't just do it, they go that extra mile and add quality.

We will make the effort to return to the area so we can stay again and that's the best recommendation they can have.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank MarshallHepworth
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed recently with a dinner, bed & breakfast package and really enjoyed our night. The room, which I belive is a Junior Suite, was wonderfully decorated, cosy and clean - and the bed was truely one of the most confortable I've ever slept in!

The welcome on arrival was a nice touch and the reception/common areas really well kept. The grounds are lovely to walk around after dinner and the views are spectacular from the higher floors.

As part of our package we received champagne and were served this in the small bar area before dinner, where we were also served appertisers before being shown to our table in the dining hall.

We were told we could not book in for 8pm due to a large table (9 people) and so went for 730. Unfortunately I think the kitchen/staff were anxious about the large booking, we felt a bit rushed and had had our amuse bouche, starter and main course served within 20 minutes of sitting down. Not to take away from the food which we enjoyed, but it all came a bit quickly so we had to ask for dessert to be delayed slightly so we could catch up! We also had to wait 20 minutes to be served breakfast - not an issue as we were in no rush - but again it was due to the large table and it could have perhaps been mentioned when we sat down.

The coffee after dinner was srved in the drawing room whcih was a lovely touch.

Overall, we would return here again. It was a lovely place to get away from it all for a day/evening and the staff were lovely. The whole place felt welcoming and non-pretentious, which I really value and would be happy to recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple