“weekend stay”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“weekend stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I had a night away with my husband here. It's a lovely drive up to the hotel very secluded and the first glimpse of the hotel is spectacular. We were taken to our room which was on the third floor overlooking the hotel gardens. The room was very nice, clean and spacious however the only thing that let it down was the cracked tiles on the bathroom floor which were noticeable as soon as you walked in. Staff are friendly and the barman was extremely knowledgeable in the vast array of whiskeys available. We ate our dinner in the hotel restaurant which was all excellent apart from the main meal (we both had steak that was tasteless - we did complain to the waitress who said she would mention it to the chef however we were still billed for the full dinner, we even advised the hotel manager when paying the bill who advised he would tell their local butcher but again no real apology or refund for the inadequate food was provided). Overall I would stay at this hotel again, the breakfast the following morning was good but I would choose to dine elsewhere on an evening.

3 Thank Lindavel61

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Cangothere
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have eaten here several times over the past few years and have never been disappointed and certainly weren't today either. We had bought a Sunday lunch 'deal' which in effect meant we bought one and got one free and it was fantastic value. The three courses were all well cooked and well presented by the conscientious staff if beautiful surroundings. If possible it is worth visiting on a nice day so you can walk round the grounds.

1 Thank Cangothere
St Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

We decided to travel up to Scotland and use booking.com to find hotels in the area we wanted to stay when we wanted. As we pulled up to Cringletie House up a lovely private road, we were greeted outside by Jeremy the Hotel Manager who warmly welcomed us and immediately made us feel at home. He advised us which was the nicest room available there and then, and it was a lovely room in the turrets. Lovely shower with beautiful toiletries, and a very comfortable bed and view over the grounds.
Lovely breakfast in the morning, although the staff were young and a little inexperienced, 3rd time lucky in getting us coffee we could drink from the cafeteria, but they were friendly and suitably embarrassed.

Room Tip: Ask Jeremy
1 Thank Danielle G
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We visited the Cringletie Hotel restaurant for Sunday lunch.
The Hotel looked lovely as we approached. A picturesque country setting but only a few minute drive from Peebles. Dining room was very elegant & spotlessly clean.
We had a glass of Prosecco on arrival whilst we looked at the menu. There was a good choice considering it was a fixed lunch menu. I started with the garlic mushrooms with a cheese topping done in the oven. It was delicious. My husband had the pate which he also enjoyed.
For the main I had roast Lamb with vegetables & even came with a home made Yorkshire pudding! Veg was cooked perfectly & there was a good selection, with roast & mashed potatoes too. My husband had the Salmon which he said was beautiful, he really enjoyed it & it was also accompanied by the selection of vegetables & potatoes.
For desert I had Strawberry & Raspberry sorbets with berries. They were really fruity & a bit more like an ice cream that a sorbet which I preferred. My husband had the Bread & Butter pudding with vanilla ice cream and Creme Anglaise. He didn't leave any nor did I.
We had a bottle of house white which at £20 per bottle was good quality & not too expensive for the quality. The wines were quite pricey which they often are at hotels but you could get a glass if preferred.
The service was just at the right pace so you had a decent gap between courses.
We had coffee & petit fours in the drawing room after lunch. The room was lovely & not too busy.
We ate at 2.00pm and glad we didn't have a large breakfast!
The staff were very friendly & helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. I was asked if I would like a window opened as it was quite warm near the window with the sun shining through. Which was a lovely offer & very thoughtful.
After our lunch we had a walk around the hotel grounds & visited the walled garden. This was a very pleasant way to work off a few calories!
I would definitely return but maybe for an overnight stay next time. I can recommend this hotel & restaurant as I don't think many people would be disappointed if they enjoyed the experience as much as we diid. It also represents good value for such a quality Sunday lunch I think.

Room Tip: We didn't stay overnight.
1 Thank Sylvia R
Vlagtwedde, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed three nights in the SPA-cottage at the Cringletie Hotel. As a matter of fact an external hotelroom with a very spacious sitting room, two double bedrooms with each a bathroom en suite. In the morning breakfast in the hotel and the cottage was cleaned every day perfectly (even the dishes were done). The SPA/jacuzzi on the veranda was great and has a marvelous view of the hills and meadows.
We can highly recommend this cottage.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Albert K
Earlston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

On Saturday accompanied by My Daughter, My Sister and My Mother we traveled to Peebles for Afternoon Tea.
What can I say it was wonderful. The staff were very welcoming, we were met in the car park and escorted to our table. The afternoon tea was delicious and we enjoyed our afternoon in comfort and luxury.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Portsmouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Hotel is beautiful, cleanliness perfect, food the best I've ever had, staff wonderful... But incredibly understaffed. I've never felt so sorry for a collective group of staff in my life. John is wonderful, a complete credit to the hotel and how he managed to keep everything under control with the limited staff he had will forever be a wonder to me. Breakfast as well, only kept together by a lovely English girl who was rather rudely spoken to by other customers, how she kept her cool I have no idea.
I have worked in hospitality once before and it was hard, but to that scale.. I don't think I'd of survived.

On another note, the general manager.. You can tell he's trying to be nice but there's an air of pompousness about him, also he has terrible coffee breath and no respect for anyone's personal space. Just a tip for him, don't stand so close to people! Bad breath or not I know you were trying to be friendly but that's overstepping.
Will return, but I hope that in future they give the staff a break and put a few more able bodies on.

Well done cringletie staff, you are wonderful.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nglnd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders
#1 of 2 in St Boswells
Cross Keys Hotel
Cross Keys Hotel
#4 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Cringletie House? Share your experiences!