“Lovely Hotel”
Review of Peebles Hydro

Peebles Hydro
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed here with daughter and 4 year old and 3 month old baby. Had a lovely big room with adjoining room with bunk beds,the room was clean and tidy, lots of towels, huge big bathroom, small seating area. we had a voucher deal and we stayed weekdays so it was quiet and that was to be expected. Went to the childrens club the first evening we were there and our 4 year old thoroughly enjoyed it though only 3 or 4 kids in, and we had a few hours free time, she was quite disappointed it wasn't on the next day, but as I said the hotel was very quiet. We went swimming 3 times, lovely pool, changing facilities are good.

The breakfast was absolutely fabulous, there was everything you could ever want on offer, from cereal, to continental and fresh fruit and bacon, sausages, black pudding, the works, the only problem was wishing that I could have eaten more.
It was a pity there wasn't a bistro type cafe or something that we could have had our tea in instead of having to go into Peebles town, the restaurant was a bit pricey.

We found the staff all very helpful, and pleasant. Would definitely go back.

There could be more information packs available in your room, there was information on a board at reception, but I thought it would be better to have this in your room to read at your leisure. Just a small observation from me.

1  Thank joanym090
Hydropathic S, Guest Relations Manager at Peebles Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you joanym090 . Great to hear all the family had a good time. We agree , more information should be available in your room and we are working on it. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Peebles Hydro

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We bought an 'Itison Voucher" for this hotel and were more than delighted with our two day break. Fantastic value for money. Beautiful hotel where the staff were very attentive and professional. Set in beautiful surroundings,this hotel is a gem in this area.Breakfast and dinner were hot, tasty and of excellent quality Both served friendly and well. Bedroom very spacious and clean. The highlight for us was The Leisure Centre. The best we,ve experienced in ages. Pool great for swimmers as it is laned off and health suite is wonderful and spotless. Would recommend this hotel for friendliness,cleanliness,position,facilities and a wonderful experience for breakfast and dinner.

2  Thank ScottieSunsetBeach

Thank you Scottiesunsetbeach. Our staff in all departments, really appreciate your positive feedback. The leisure centre is great for both swimming and the view so pleased you enjoyed your time there. Come back and visit soon.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Absolutely awful overnight stay in this run down, shabby hotel!!! The room was so basic and the decor was a disgrace!! The food was the worst I have ever tasted I couldn't even cut my steak with a steak knife and was so tough all I can describe it as was a choke hazard and I wasn't cheap either!! I had to send the full steak back and we were still charged for dinner all be it less tge £9 supplement added for the sirloin. We had to leave the hotel in order to find edible food!!! We were so disappointed with our peebles hydro experience its safe to say we wont be planning an other stay any time soon!! I would much rather stay in one of the lower cost hotel/inn chains at least they are not claiming to be what they are not.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank joanna_cran

What a blistering review Joanna_cran. The team here are really sorry to read how you feel about your recent visit. Your experience does not meet our standards therefore we will look to discuss these points with the departments involved.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The Peebles Hydro is well situated on the outskirts of town and it is a short stroll from the hotel in town .
The Hydro is very clean and the rooms are well appointed , the staff are friendly and helpful .
Breakfast is wonderful with a huge choice of dishes and a buffet style "full Scottish " breakfast is also available , it's very good.
The Hydro is well placed for exploring the Borders area , i can recommend it as a great place to stay

Room Tip: Try to get a feature room if you can
1  Thank Scott R

thank you Scottr . We are pleased that you enjoyed your recent break, we hope that you can continue to enjoy all that Peebles Hydro has to offer in the future

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Booked as part of my daughters birthday, thinking it would be nice to spend time at the spa and have a relaxing massage.....how wrong I was!
From the time of booking until arrival we had a family death, although I considered cancelling I decided 'a chill out' was needed. I was bitterly disappointed to be unable to book for a massage and emailed the hotel explaining circumstances-his reply was that he would have thought following the family death I would have more to think about than the hotel's therapists!!!
I have since established the 131 bedroom spa hotel only employs 3 therapists. I thereafter booked treatments at a local business- At First Sight.I can highly recommend Nicola for our lovely massage and her professionalism.
We arrived at 14.10 hours and our room was not ready.Although there are a lot of stairs to the reception, there are no porters to assist, beware if elderly or unfit. We had sandwiches in the hotel and thereafter attended for our treatments.On returning after 17.20hrs we went to our upgraded feature room, not a true description.
The carpet required hoovering, the small over bath screen had toothpaste on it. I decided to look at the mattress and was totally disgusted to find it had 3 separate urine stains, a hole in the base and a hole in the mattress. I contacted reception requesting another bed. The reception staff were very nice and we were moved to a suite at no additional cost. The suite was nice, but we had very little sleep due to a party in the opposite suite, I think it may have been a 'hen party'.. This continued until after 02.00hours and a visit from night porter.
The hotel was a big disappointment and is in need of a major upgrade.
The General Manager is devoid of any customer care values.
Guests should be mindful that if they would like treatments, they need to book outwith the hotel. Our massage from Nicola was first class.
I am considering contacting Scottish Tourist Board as I am concerned at overseas visitors spending time or money in such a poor hotel.
I would not recommend this hotel and I have photographs to confirm my report.
Advise alternative local accommodation. Crieff and Dunblane Hydro are a more true reflection on the Scottish hotels.
The suite was nice, but ironically had its own spa treatment room, yet the hotel is very short on therapists. It also had a large dressing room which is not of any great use for a 1-2 night stay, the bathroom was beautiful and very well equipped. The picture window had a large crack and a dead spider was in the bed. The bedroom area was what I would expect from a 4 star hotel,

The general manager would benefit from the customer service skills of his reception staff.

Room Tip: Avoid room 60 until new beds are purchased! A suite will provide what you expect of a 4 star hotel.
5  Thank unhappyhols13
Hydropathic S, Public Relations Manager at Peebles Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

It's very disturbing to see that unhapphols13 has reposted this review, which Tripadvisor previously removed due to the personal and highly offensive nature of its content. We have now asked Tripadvisor to remove this latest version. Unhappyhols13 has reported my sympathetic comments entirely out of context. We'll always do our best to resolve any issues at the time ( as is demonstrated by the fact that we provided a complimentary upgrade to a Suite at no extra cost). I welcome all feedback - good or bad but, when it's given in this unfair manner, it's neither nice nor necessary
Patrick Diack, General Manager

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Have just returned from a two night stay at Peebles Hydro. The hotel was clean and very comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful. The pool was very good and was well staffed. The breakfast was delicious, with lots of choice available, and set us up for a day exploring Peebles and the surrounding area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us auntieagnes. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Just returned after a relaxing overnight stay at the Hydro, if you can try and get a feature room we were in room 60 which was spacious and had amazing views well worth the upgrade cost
Very friendly staff. No hotel information given at reception on check in, or any details in the room. ie - meal times , checkout times. Breakfast was varied and plentiful a good start to the day. We will definitely stay again when in the area.

Room Tip: Feature rooms have amazing views
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

We agree douglasc the views from our feature bedrooms are stunning. We realise more information is required in bedrooms and it'll be in place very soon. See you when you're back in the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel
#6 of 8 in Peebles
Castle Venlaw Hotel
Castle Venlaw Hotel
#3 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Peebles Hydro? Share your experiences!