Peebles Hydro
Agoda.com
  • Pool
US$107
  • Restaurant
Lindores Guest House(Peebles)(Great Value!)
US$94
Neidpath Inn(Peebles)
US$107
US$81
The Park(Peebles)
Priceline
2,264 results
All reviewskids clubgin palacetable tennisrefurbished roomfront facingtennis courtssignature roomswimming poolgrand hotelgames roompitch and puttnew ownersgin tastingleisure facilitiesbunk bedssteam roombit dated
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We were a little worried that following the takeover things would have changed but they have been improved. It looks like it's been a softly, softly approach, they still have the wonderful friendly and accommodating staff. The pool, sports facilities and childrens activies are brilliant. The restaurant and food are first class and the beer selection has been enhanced. We shall return, thank you.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank YorkshireDales B
Guest Relations M, Guest Relations Manager at Peebles Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2014

Wonderful to hear you had such a great time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Peebles Hydro in the near future.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I was slightly dubious about booking the Hydro due to the recent Trip Advisor reviews since being under new ownership. I has stayed two or three times previously and despite the faded glory quite liked the hotel.

For this trip I booked two night last minute special B&B deal from the hotels website for a single room. I was expecting to be placed in one of the small poky single rooms to the rear of the hotel - so what a pleasant surprise to be be given a large room with wonderful views of the Tweed valley at the front of the hotel. The room was well appointed and clean although possibly a little worn in places, it led to a very comfortable stay.

Breakfast both days was a little chaotic but the food was excellent, with plenty of choice and plenty of it. I even chose to have smoked haddock on the second morning - delicious. Tea/coffee and toast promptly delivered with the only problem experienced in getting some marmalade.
I made good use of the pool and this was just as remembered, clean and great for my purposes. It is good that children are kept to one side by a floating rope so those wishing to swim back and forth and get some exercise can.

All in all I find it difficult to fault my stay, all the staff were very friendly. If anything in my opinion the décor especially in the public areas has improved in recent years - certainly the new owners appear to be making a real effort. On my day of departure I even saw a notice saying the drive was about to be repaired - this is well overdue.

My reason for the stay was to visit the Edinburgh Fringe which was great. It is so easy using public transport. The bus stop is at the bottom of the hotel drive (the one furthest from Pebbles) and amasingly they run every 20 minutes or so until late into the evening. Edinburgh is about £10 return.

So my congratulations to the Peebles Hydro my fears were not justified and I will be returning!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jon B

So good to hear you had such a great stay! As you are aware improvements are afoot and we are sure we will impress when you visit us again.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed here on a recent Groupon deal. Superb value, beautiful feature bedroom. Excellent facilities on site, swimming pool which is very family friendly, small play park for kids, tennis courts, big chess board, mini golf and also organised activities like rounders and jogging. Great breakfast in the morning and you're allowed to use the facilities all day on the day of check out which is fantastic, highly recommended,

Room Tip: Feature rooms on the corners have amazing views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kritur

It was great to hear you enjoyed yourself at Peebles Hydro. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We did not stay here...though many we know have over the...er....centuries. We dined here. Nowhere else in Peebles seemed to be open on a Monday. We were determined to eat out somewhere "different"...in that, we were successful.
OK, yes, Peebles Hydro IS a very old girl. She needs her stockings straightening and a serious face-lift, a tuck here and a lift there...but there are other problems which, if it were not for what seems to be a real effort on the part of her attendant nursing staff one could get quite annoyed.
To begin before the beginning...you need a 4X4 to get up what remains of the Grande Route up to the entrance. Potholes of some significance compete with incongruously superflous "speed bumps", presumably to slow down those leaving. Work required here, if only to create an impression somewhere other than the buttocks.
The grandiose entrance foyer (as I am sure it once was) looms up a flight of stairs with a carpet of historical importance...take that as you will...to the reception desk. We had booked dinner, by phone, earlier that day, as "non-residents". On arrival the booking was confirmed. That's it. The booking was confirmed. Where do we go? Where are the pre-dinner drinks? Is there a bar (gets more relevant later)? We found the bar. It WAS down there on the left. Past the open doors to the Dining Room (podium, queue, kids, chaos) and down a corridor where the air had been substituted for chlorene gas and saturated steam. Swimming pool entrance...strange location.
Ah....the COCKTAIL BAR. Tell you what, let's just choose our wine, have a glass from the bottle, sit down and wait for menus to arrive. First choice made, barman has to go away to check availability...to the cellars, one must imagine. Back he comes breathless and bottleless. Nope. We haven't got that. Choose another. We choose another. He goes away to check availability. Yep. We have that. Great. A glass each. Will you arrange for it to be at our table? Table? Table? What table? Non-residents, you see. Not used to this kind of complication the situation was compounded by there being no known way of paying for the wine except cash at the bar. What? Put it on the bill...I mean...that's the usual procedure. Er...better you pay for it now. OK. Credit card. Don't take Crdit Cards! Hey. This is FUN. The others at the bar thought so to. So I went to get the restaurant manager/maitre d' but he was buried in anonymous guests who had foolishly arrived thinking that their booking/table would be on-plan. Nope. So I bypassed the system, grabbed two copies of the menu, went back to the bar and gathered up bottle, glasses and wife, strode purposefully in to the restaurant and tried to look obvious. It worked. Exhausted by dissent the dapper (and in all seriousness, efficient) restaurant manager/Maitre d' managed to save face by mysteiously allocating us a table whilst-we-wait. And so we sat down.
The place is big, bustling, understaffed, mentally straining (look at the waiters' faces) and very, very sadly neglected. Seating what I imagine would be something like 500 requires the same number of seats. So we have a cobbled selection of pre-WW1 plain-legged; Parochial Hall 1950 steel tube, brown; French Rennaisance or early chipped-to-bits-dale and no doubt a few orange boxes somewhere. The overall impression was....well...not good in a kind of sentimental way.
To the FOOD! What joy! I will have the Duck Pate with Pear Chutney. I got it. It was what it said on the tin....and you can take that either way. Nice bread rolls. Warm. One each. Fine. No delay but if you want ANYTHING else you need a starter pistol to attract the attention of the staff. Never in the field of human indulgence has so much been owed to so few by so many. By golly, they tried.
Main course, Chef's Signature dish. Pork Fillet. Crikey, It's here already. Seems that the chef has a thermic lance....oddly, though drier than pork fillet SHOULD be, it was not as dry as I have sent back before. Remember, we are coping with what is now, on a quick head count, 300 adults, children and infants and still they come. The whole magnificent mellee becomes a mixture of madness, mirth and meticulous but misplaced detail. I may wait twelve minutes for my cream to accompany my wodge of cheescake with determinedly rigid Kiwi Fruit, but I get the crumbs dusted of the tablecloth twice whilst waiting!
Vegetables accompanying the main course were frankly more acceptable as a novelty in these continental times, but the large potatoes were well cooked, the medley of vegetable strips in cheffy bondage (leek ty-wrap, I think) were nicely seasoned and seasonal. The sauce was a bit of an evaporated disaster but what the hell, remember where you are...this place has history, and you can't put a price on that. £25/head plus wine which they forgot to put on the bill so we told them.
Oh, themissing bar? Well,we decided through some telepathic suggestion to retire to the lounge for coffee and petit fours...there was a lethargic drift in one direction. We sat. We waited. Nothing happened. I asked the couple beside me how to get coffee. Oh, you just need to put a waiter up against the wall and give him a good kneeing. I think he was joking so I grabbed one mid-flight by the back-arm....always gets their attention and asked for two coffees. Someone would come, we were assured. No one did and so I got a little more pleasant and said please. That did it. I got coffees but was not quick enough to ask for a liqueur as I was a little pre-occupied trying to get the flying, liquified-by-heat chocolate truffle off my trouser leg. I decided to GO TO THE BAR and get my own drinks. As got up, a Ceilidh band struck up enthusiastically in an open room to the lounge. A throng appeared considerably puzzled by the furious jig-a-jig music. I tried to get through but it was no use. A man loomed into my intimate zone and over the noise shouted "DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE BAR IS?" " YES", I ventured knowingly, "..it is down there on the left, follow the chlorene...." , but he cut me off, "No, THAT BAR IS CLOSED..." Damn. I grabbed another waiter."WHERE IS THE BAR THIS WEEK?" He did not know but gestured vaguely towards two swing doors in the Ceilidh Killing Zone. We made a dash for the doors, my new comrade-in-adversity and I, and swung them open. There was no bar, but all those engaged in the fiercest of ping-pong games seemed to be having fun.
We left after advising on the missing wine and sped off a two miles an hour down the historical road.
Hysterical.

Room Tip: ...with a view. Stunning. Really.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tectak

Thank you tectak for your review of your recent visit to Peebles Hydro, we appreciate all feedback. The hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment, which as you can imagine, from the amount of guests you saw in house, will be a huge and timeous task. As well as the improvements in the décor and surroundings we are looking to expend the staffing levels, and training so guests, such as yourself can receive, as expected, the best of service on your next visit.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I have been visiting this hotel for years. This year it was clear that the hotel is tired and needs an injection of TLC to bring it into the 21 st century . The swimming pool area needs air conditioning and the showers etc needs a complete renovation. We had a swim lunch which us good value . The restaurant for this now is where you have afternoon tea which is fine but the food was not good.the steak we asked for was medium and came out black . So over cooked.It should not have left the kitchen .

The staff appeared fed up as they were busy but it is a shame as this hotel could be wonderful .the setting is fantastic

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maree M

We are sorry to hear that you didn't have a great experience at Peebles Hydro, and you are correct that some areas of the hotel are in need of some TLC. These matters are all in hand as the refurbishment is underway. We do hope that you will return to Peebles Hydro soon, when you will see a vast improvement in the facilities and services.