“Great Facilities at reasonable price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Park

The Park
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
Herts
“Great Facilities at reasonable price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

Stayed at Park as unable to get into Hydro. I was very pleased with the facilities of this hotel and especially the restaurant.
Food is execellent and i would certainly recommend this hotel. I would use the Hydro to swim most mornings foc.
We opted for the breakfast and evening meal, which catered for our culinary needs both at breakfast and evening time.
Staff very friendly and give personal touch.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank HertsJeni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

My partner and i booked into the Park Hotel in Peebles for 1 nights stay in August 2011. On entering our room there were holes in the upholstery and a terrible smell throughout the whole hotel. General feel on entering this hotel of it being too dated, scruffy, run down and certainly not good value for money. The one thing i would say that the staff on reception desk were extremely friendly and helpful (even when we about turned and left!).

I cant comment on the food etc as we didnt get that far - and certainly wont be returning to try again!

My advice on this hotel would be to look elsewhere! with lots of choice around the area there is no need to stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank sarah t
Wirral
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2010

It is some years since we stayed at the Park and this time only because the Hydro was full for the extra 2 nights we wanted. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and could well go back because we liked it so much. It is of course different from its sister hotel but whilst staying at the Park you can use the Hydro facilities so you get the best of both.

There was a problem with a faulty radiator and once the management knew we were moved to another room and it was dealt with extremely efficiently by him.

The food was excellent, absolutely delicious. Credit to the chef there. Great choice and quality. If you want a small hotel very close to the town centre this is the place to be. Staff pleasant, room clean - some smaller than others. The bar is a little tired but still fine.

As for the review by Snoopster - ignore it, it has to be someone with a different agenda!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kaybee210
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

This was the first hotel our group stayed at after arriving in Scotland (we stayed 3 nights), and it was a tremendously friendly, restful, lovely place! The front desk people (two during our stay) were helpful and friendly.

The dining staff were amazing! On the first morning, I asked if soy milk was available, since I am allergic to milk. They checked with the kitchen, came back and said no, but there would be soy milk by at least the next day. They remembered to bring it to me separately from the cream every meal after that.

The FOOD!!! You could make a meal off the Starter for every single meal (even breakfast). The dishes were creative, the presentation was lovely, and wow--DELICIOUS! I had so many dishes I'd never heard of before (I always opted for those), and was never disappointed. Loved the haggis. LOL Completely different dinner menu every night and lots of choices for breakfast.

I think my roommate and I had the best room in the place (corner of the 3rd floor). I'll post some photos. It was clean, defnitely. But the bath was HUGE, with a lovely large window that let in the sunlight. It looked like it had recently been updated. The stall shower was shiny and new.

Each of us had a little nook of a reading area--I wish we hadn't been on the go with the tour so much. I'd have loved to curl up with a book and glance out the window every couple of paragraphs to soak in the awesome view. We were there during an unusual warm spell, so we had all the windows open, letting in that clean Scottish air.

I can't comment on price, since it was included in the tour price, but I'd go back to the Park in a heartbeat!! I didn't get to tour the town at all, and I wanted to. Very quaint and quiet. A wonderful place to enjoy the river and the scenery.

Before I arrived in Scotland, the only mental image I had of the landscape was rugged crags (the Highlands). Peebles, however, is in "the Borders," a region between the Lowlands and the Highlands, and there isn't a bad view ANYWHERE in the area! At the time we were there, I think I may have counted 5 to 10 other vehicles on the scenic back roads that we took. It was like having our own private Scotland--the REAL Scotland, rather than the "tourist-y" Scotland.

Don't miss Smailholm Tower, which inspired Sir Walter Scott's medieval romances, or Scott's View, a breathtaking overlook of lakes and distant hills. Scott's home of Abbotsford is a photographers dream. Soaring towers and arches and lovely gardens. Oh and the ruins of Melrose Abbey, where Robert the Bruce's heart is buried.

Anyone need a tour guide? I volunteer!

• Stayed June 2010
2 Thank lindacfb
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at The Park, responded to this review, 9 September 2010
Thank you for a wonderful review. Your generous comments are much appreciated and a copy of your review will be posted on our staff notice board. Haste ye Back!
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2010

Checked in quickly and efficiently, the receptionist was friendly.
The bedroom was functional and quite small. The bathroom is also small but was clean and had plenty of toiletries. The room, which overlooked the road, was quite noisey. The room had a desk, TV and Tea and Coffee Making. The bed was very comfortable.
The lounge, bar and restaurant areas are clean and tidy but look quite dated and uninspiring. The whole hotel had more of a feel of a seaside Bed and Breakfast than a hotel for relaxation or romance.
I was unable to use the restaurant as they were closed by 9pm which seemed very early and had to head out to find a restaurant.
The following day I had breakfast and lunch. Breakfast had a good enough selection on offer although the quality of some cooking could have been better.
The lunch was good.

Overall service was fine no complaints, but equally nothing sparkling that would make the place memorable.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank docscooter
sebastopol, ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2010

I loved the room at the Park Hotel. It was roomy and super clean and seemed like it had been recently updated. The toiletries were generous. Very comfortable beds. Good Desk Area. Nice sheets and fresh white duvets. Bed was nice and firm. Super Quiet.

My room looked out at the hills & trees and it's very pretty (and park-like) looking out the back from the dining room or the reading room as well. You can follow the River Tweed and it's just gorgeous after a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel. The little town is a 2-minute walk...cute enough.

The breakfast was good, not great. Dinner, however, was amazing! The 4-course meal is just unreal. Fresh, modern, delicious food. I don't know whether they're open to non-guests, but it is worth a stop just for dinner. (picture does not do it justice.) Innovative things-- like a half-avacado filled with spicy-sweet cous-cous. Delicious desserts that seemed freshly prepared-- not from the freezer/fridge. Great wait-staff.

That's all the good. The bad?? There is NOBODY around to help with any questions or needs. Ever. (I stayed 3 nights.) The person behind the desk will be on their own cell phone-- or tell you they are not really on staff right now and can't help... or.... and all of this with no sort of smile or apology. I can't blame a hotel for one bad apple-- but over 3 nights' stay, I never got a helpful or particularly friendly face at the desk. For this reason, I can only give the hotel 3 stars.

Still-- if you are in the area, it's a great place to sleep for the night -- and get a long, lingering 4-course meal that rivals many fine restaurants I've been to. I would stay again just for that.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at The Park, responded to this review, 6 August 2010
We thank this guest for her extremely generous review of The Park Hotel. Great comments like these are always a pleasure to hear. We are disappointed to hear of the problems mentioned in the last paragraph of this review. We think that all of our reception staff are friendly and helpful and smiling people, and many guests tell us that this is so. They do occasionally have to leave the desk unattended for a few moments but, unless it was very late at night, we cannot understand, or explain, why they might have been perceived as being absent so often. We have a very strict policy on staff not using, or having their mobile phones switched on at work. We have spoken to all of our reception staff, and all have promised that it wasn’t them. The whole thing is a bit of a puzzle, despite having been very carefully investigated, so we’d be really happy to have some more information if the guest would be kind enough to get in touch. We are very sorry it affected her visit.
Oxfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2009

We had a 3 night break in a pleasant room overlooking the wonderful heather-covered hills. We found the staff most friendly and accommodating right from the start - the welcoming glass of sherry offered on arrival was a nice touch and greatly appreciated after a long journey. The meals were lovely - the menu changed every day - and the restaurant staff were efficient, friendly and courteous. We felt very comfortable there - it's an oasis of calm, though right next to the High Street and with a lovely theatre just over the road. It has a huge carpark. We particularly liked being able to use the wonderful swimming facilities at the Peebles Hydro, its sister Hotel. The Park Hotel isn't cheap but we stayed on a 20% reduced rate for 3 nights. The 4 course dinner with coffee is actually good value especially when included in the room rate.
We have stayed there several times now over the last few years. This time our room was smaller than before, but clean and comfortable nonetheless. We would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
Peebles Hydro
#3 of 8 in Peebles
Castle Venlaw Hotel
Castle Venlaw Hotel
#5 of 8 in Peebles

Been to The Park? Share your experiences!