“Value for money birthday weekend”
Review of The Park

The Park
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Booked 2 nights here for my birthday weekend 3-5 February on a DBB deal. Receptionist was very friendly and helpful, especially when we asked to be moved from the first room allocated to us as it was small and rather grim. We couldn't upgrade as all executive rooms were already booked out. Offered Room 75, much bigger, higher ceilings, larger bathroom. Still rather tired looking decor-wise, but comfortable enough. Our meals, both breakfast and dinner, were beautiful - lots of choice, well-cooked, great service from the waiting staff. For what we paid for our stay we felt we definitely got value for money. We also used the swimming pool at the hydro during our stay, which is just a short walk/drive away. I would say if you want a decent room, then an executive room is what you need, but if you're on a special offer then you are more likely to be offered a standard room. If the price is right we shall definitely return - the friendly staff are hard to beat!

Room Tip: Get an executive room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 January 2012

We stayed 1 night in this hotel and will never be back. The room was smelly, mouldy and full of cobwebs. It was also a bit tatty and in need of modernising. Where to begin with the service at breakfast! The young waiter clearly had no idea what he was doing, Had us playing musical chairs because he didnt know where to seat us, served cold coffee, the toast came at least 10mins before my scrambled egg? The fresh orange was off and the service was extremely slow. The receptionist hardly spoke when we checked out. Very expensive for what you get, dont waste your money. I wrote to the park hotel about our experience and they had an excuse for everything. Apparently the cleaning staff where new, so was the waiter and the receptionist was too shy for the job. I guess that makes it ok then?

Room Tip: Choose another Hotel
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lizzy f
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at The Park, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2012

This couple stayed at The Park Hotel in July 2011 - some six months before deciding to post this review. Not long after they stayed, they wrote a letter to us expressing disatisfaction with their room and with breakfast service. We investigated their complaint and then replied with a letter of apology, enclosing a complimentary gift voucher for use in any of our hotels, and acknowledging that there had been some minor housekeeping issues, and that breakfast service had not been to our usual standard. We find that, if there has been a problem, most people appreciate an apology and an honest explanation, so with this in mind, rather than as an excuse, we advised the couple that the problems they had experienced were due to the fact that we had quite a few new young staff at the time. All new employees, especially youngsters, can get things wrong occasionally, but we appreciate that this shouldn't be to the detriment of the guest experience, and we were happy to acknowledge this and compensate and apologise to these guests.

Reviewed 16 October 2011

We made a late booking so had to take what room they had 78 small but clean warm and
comfortable bed The staff were very welcoming and the service was good
We had breakfast and evening meal good choice and the menu changed each night
Next time we go up we will book earlier to get a larger room looking over the hills if we can
One thing is sure we will stay again

Room Tip: We phoned and took the advice of the receptionist who was very helpfull it worked for us
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eileen d
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Stayed at Park as unable to get into Hydro. I was very pleased with the facilities of this hotel and especially the restaurant.
Food is execellent and i would certainly recommend this hotel. I would use the Hydro to swim most mornings foc.
We opted for the breakfast and evening meal, which catered for our culinary needs both at breakfast and evening time.
Staff very friendly and give personal touch.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank HertsJeni
Reviewed 22 August 2011

My partner and i booked into the Park Hotel in Peebles for 1 nights stay in August 2011. On entering our room there were holes in the upholstery and a terrible smell throughout the whole hotel. General feel on entering this hotel of it being too dated, scruffy, run down and certainly not good value for money. The one thing i would say that the staff on reception desk were extremely friendly and helpful (even when we about turned and left!).

I cant comment on the food etc as we didnt get that far - and certainly wont be returning to try again!

My advice on this hotel would be to look elsewhere! with lots of choice around the area there is no need to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sarah t
Reviewed 11 December 2010

It is some years since we stayed at the Park and this time only because the Hydro was full for the extra 2 nights we wanted. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and could well go back because we liked it so much. It is of course different from its sister hotel but whilst staying at the Park you can use the Hydro facilities so you get the best of both.

There was a problem with a faulty radiator and once the management knew we were moved to another room and it was dealt with extremely efficiently by him.

The food was excellent, absolutely delicious. Credit to the chef there. Great choice and quality. If you want a small hotel very close to the town centre this is the place to be. Staff pleasant, room clean - some smaller than others. The bar is a little tired but still fine.

As for the review by Snoopster - ignore it, it has to be someone with a different agenda!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kaybee210
Reviewed 1 September 2010

This was the first hotel our group stayed at after arriving in Scotland (we stayed 3 nights), and it was a tremendously friendly, restful, lovely place! The front desk people (two during our stay) were helpful and friendly.

The dining staff were amazing! On the first morning, I asked if soy milk was available, since I am allergic to milk. They checked with the kitchen, came back and said no, but there would be soy milk by at least the next day. They remembered to bring it to me separately from the cream every meal after that.

The FOOD!!! You could make a meal off the Starter for every single meal (even breakfast). The dishes were creative, the presentation was lovely, and wow--DELICIOUS! I had so many dishes I'd never heard of before (I always opted for those), and was never disappointed. Loved the haggis. LOL Completely different dinner menu every night and lots of choices for breakfast.

I think my roommate and I had the best room in the place (corner of the 3rd floor). I'll post some photos. It was clean, defnitely. But the bath was HUGE, with a lovely large window that let in the sunlight. It looked like it had recently been updated. The stall shower was shiny and new.

Each of us had a little nook of a reading area--I wish we hadn't been on the go with the tour so much. I'd have loved to curl up with a book and glance out the window every couple of paragraphs to soak in the awesome view. We were there during an unusual warm spell, so we had all the windows open, letting in that clean Scottish air.

I can't comment on price, since it was included in the tour price, but I'd go back to the Park in a heartbeat!! I didn't get to tour the town at all, and I wanted to. Very quaint and quiet. A wonderful place to enjoy the river and the scenery.

Before I arrived in Scotland, the only mental image I had of the landscape was rugged crags (the Highlands). Peebles, however, is in "the Borders," a region between the Lowlands and the Highlands, and there isn't a bad view ANYWHERE in the area! At the time we were there, I think I may have counted 5 to 10 other vehicles on the scenic back roads that we took. It was like having our own private Scotland--the REAL Scotland, rather than the "tourist-y" Scotland.

Don't miss Smailholm Tower, which inspired Sir Walter Scott's medieval romances, or Scott's View, a breathtaking overlook of lakes and distant hills. Scott's home of Abbotsford is a photographers dream. Soaring towers and arches and lovely gardens. Oh and the ruins of Melrose Abbey, where Robert the Bruce's heart is buried.

Anyone need a tour guide? I volunteer!

• Stayed: June 2010
2  Thank lindacfb
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at The Park, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2010

Thank you for a wonderful review. Your generous comments are much appreciated and a copy of your review will be posted on our staff notice board. Haste ye Back!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
Peebles Hydro
#6 of 8 in Peebles
Traquair Arms Hotel
Traquair Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Innerleithen

Been to The Park? Share your experiences!