“Poor”

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
edinburgh
“Poor”
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Got hotel voucher for £29 so decided on a bank holiday break with my boyfriend. Enjoyed the beautiful views around the park hotel, but were disappointed once we arrived. We arrived at 4pm to be told our room wasn't available yet but to have a seat in the lounge, a few mins later a room was ready, we were given a blank room key, no mention of breakfast times or passport voucher to use in the near by hydro hotel which were included in the offer. Our room was dated, very basic, very cold even after putting radiator up full, bathroom light flickered constant causing us to shower with the door open to use bedroom light!! Tv signal poor no itv and couldn't log into hotels free wifi! After we were in our room for around 1 hour, another guest opened the door after being given our room number for their stay!!! Much to our embarrassment they apologised and left, thankfully we were both dressed and getting ready for dinner. Enjoyed a log walk in the surrounding Peebles, planning to go out for a meal we decided to try hotels menu.
Service slow as only one lady serving at the bar and taking meal orders. Food ok, not great quality. Breakfast was nice after not being advised on time we were
One of the first guests so everything was fresh but staff customer service poor, unprofessional. Had continental breakfast, offered toast with this, then once finished we were offered hot breakfast!? Hotel stay was a let down, location great, hotel needs freshened up, it's got potential but we will not be returning and would have been very disappointed if we had paid full price. Will book premier inn in the future!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jill N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Renfrewshire
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Having booked this at a beyond budget price my expectations were limited but the experience was beyond anything I could have imagined. We arrived a little early but were able to book into our room and were made very welcome by the friendly receptionist. The room was huge and had all the finishing touches you would expect from any hotel. We decided to have dinner in the bar and it was delicious, well presented and very good value. I can recommend the Ice Cream lemon Meringue Gateau. Despite our room facing the main road, we slept well although the pillows were a bit too soft for me. Breakfast was excellent and there was a range of choice from cold through to kippers. The biggest asset of this hotel is it's friendly staff. Nothing was too much trouble and they chatted and laughed with all the guests. We loved out stay at Park Hotel and will definitely return in the future.

Room Tip: Room 77 faced the main road through Peebles but the traffic noise did not filter into the room at al...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Edinburgh
Reviewed 5 May 2014

After an interesting welcome - not the usual receptionist on duty (was informed me she was from the Hydro) and she didn't seem to know much about anything unfortunately and seemed distracted and rushed - I wondered what on earth I had booked but as I had got a really good price expected the worst.....!

The room was fine and had a lovely view over the back of the hotel to the hills beyond. The bed was comfy and had lovely crisp white linen. Nice pristine towels in the bathroom too. There was a lack of attention to detail regarding some of the cleaning of the room (very dusty skirting boards, less than clean tiles in the bathroom) and I pointed this out to the reception staff who said they would get this sorted out. i didn't think it bad enough to ask to move room but felt it should be dealt with before the next guest arrived as it did really niggle me the longer I stayed there.

I was on a dinner, bed and breakfast package and the food was amazing and to an extremely high standard. There was a set menu in the dining room and there was a good, varied choice per course. I also had the option of sitting in the bar for dinner but I chose to sit in the main dining room which has lovely views over the hotel gardens. My main was so good the first night I asked for it again and the chef was able to arrange this for me!!

I would definitely stay at the hotel again. Added bonus of being able to use the pool and leisure facilities in the sister hotel, the Peebles Hydro.

The staff totally make this place and the team in the bar and dining room are so helpful and professional and went out of their way to help. Val on reception is a real gem too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel with views to the hills.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Cramlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The hotel is literally a few minutes walk from the Town Centre and has a decent sized car park. The views from the dining room and bar are stunning and the staff were very friendly. There was a good choice at breakfast and the food was well cooked and nicely presented. We have stayed at the Peebles Hydro before but much prefer the atmosphere in this hotel but we were able to make use of the facilities at the Hydro (it is part of the same group). It would have been a good idea if we had been told this on arrival as the only indication of this was a sign that we noticed on our way up to our room. I am sure many people would not be aware of this.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the hills for a fantastic view
1 Thank Helen M
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Val the receptionist made or booking and when we arrived without a vital part off our holiday packing she helped us out without any problem and with great efficiency.. The room we were allocated room 73 was fantastic . Breakfast was better than most hotels I have stayed with . Shame they do not allow dogs into the bar area for evening meals because the menu looked great but I do like to spent time with my dog. Overall a great hotel and as I said staff can't do enough to please we all had a great time see you all again on the 9th of May x

Room Tip: Room 73 and 94 are GREAT
1 Thank Harrysmum2014
Edinburgh
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Still in my hotel room but so impressed want to write this review already! This hotel was booked last minute on a booking website for a steal so even after reading Trip Advisor reviews felt we might be taking a chance. But it's just lovely. Not a trendy, not posh but exceptionally comfortable, nicely furnished, well kept and immaculately clean. In fact the dining room, and lounge are rooms worthy of an expensive country house hotel. The position is perfect, you can walk to everything in Peebles, and the grounds are mature, spacious and manicured. The food here is uncomplicated, well cooked with quality ingredients. Great, friendly service too. Will definitely be back and encourage all our Edinburgh friends to treat themselves to a super, great value weekend break. By the way, very dog friendly and a dog area in the grounds with poo bin!! This is perfect dog walking country and stunningly beautiful.

Room Tip: Best rooms at back of the hotel with fab mountain views
1 Thank Happyresident
Carluke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the years but not for some time now. The hotel is situated in a handy location for all that Peebles has to offer. My wife and I had gone to Peebles on the Friday afternoon and got caught in a bit of a snow storm so just after 5 pm we headed to the Park Hotel for a bar meal and allow the bad weather to ease down.

As it was Valentine's Day we were a bit apprehensive as to what to expect so we opted for the bar lounge instead of the much posher restaurant. It would be very easy to post a negative comment about the bar lounge as it is rather dated and old fashioned looking but we like it the way it is.

We were served by a lovely, friendly receptionist who took our order and brought our meal in a matter of minutes. Our soup , main course and sweet were of a very high standard which we both felt was the best bar meal we had had in years.

The lounge bar at the Park Hotel in Peebles won't be to everyone's taste as it is a very quiet and reserved place to eat. However, if you want good food, prepared by a proper chef , and served by an attentive and friendly member of staff, then head to the Park Hotel. It sure beats those High Street pub lunches with frozen this and frozen that stuck in a microwave type meals, served by some disinterested waitress with the jukebox blaring with the end of a pool cue in your face. Yuk.

Gimme the Park any day of the week daddio. We will be going back for a bar lunch before the end of February.

Room Tip: Not applicable
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jethro t
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
Peebles Hydro
Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel
Castle Venlaw Hotel
Castle Venlaw Hotel
#4 of 8 in Peebles

Been to The Park? Share your experiences!