“Fantastic Room and Food-- Work on Service and it's a Winner!!”
Review of The Park

The Park
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I loved the room at the Park Hotel. It was roomy and super clean and seemed like it had been recently updated. The toiletries were generous. Very comfortable beds. Good Desk Area. Nice sheets and fresh white duvets. Bed was nice and firm. Super Quiet.

My room looked out at the hills & trees and it's very pretty (and park-like) looking out the back from the dining room or the reading room as well. You can follow the River Tweed and it's just gorgeous after a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel. The little town is a 2-minute walk...cute enough.

The breakfast was good, not great. Dinner, however, was amazing! The 4-course meal is just unreal. Fresh, modern, delicious food. I don't know whether they're open to non-guests, but it is worth a stop just for dinner. (picture does not do it justice.) Innovative things-- like a half-avacado filled with spicy-sweet cous-cous. Delicious desserts that seemed freshly prepared-- not from the freezer/fridge. Great wait-staff.

That's all the good. The bad?? There is NOBODY around to help with any questions or needs. Ever. (I stayed 3 nights.) The person behind the desk will be on their own cell phone-- or tell you they are not really on staff right now and can't help... or.... and all of this with no sort of smile or apology. I can't blame a hotel for one bad apple-- but over 3 nights' stay, I never got a helpful or particularly friendly face at the desk. For this reason, I can only give the hotel 3 stars.

Still-- if you are in the area, it's a great place to sleep for the night -- and get a long, lingering 4-course meal that rivals many fine restaurants I've been to. I would stay again just for that.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at The Park, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2010

We thank this guest for her extremely generous review of The Park Hotel. Great comments like these are always a pleasure to hear. We are disappointed to hear of the problems mentioned in the last paragraph of this review. We think that all of our reception staff are friendly and helpful and smiling people, and many guests tell us that this is so. They do occasionally have to leave the desk unattended for a few moments but, unless it was very late at night, we cannot understand, or explain, why they might have been perceived as being absent so often. We have a very strict policy on staff not using, or having their mobile phones switched on at work. We have spoken to all of our reception staff, and all have promised that it wasn’t them. The whole thing is a bit of a puzzle, despite having been very carefully investigated, so we’d be really happy to have some more information if the guest would be kind enough to get in touch. We are very sorry it affected her visit.

Reviewed 15 September 2009

We had a 3 night break in a pleasant room overlooking the wonderful heather-covered hills. We found the staff most friendly and accommodating right from the start - the welcoming glass of sherry offered on arrival was a nice touch and greatly appreciated after a long journey. The meals were lovely - the menu changed every day - and the restaurant staff were efficient, friendly and courteous. We felt very comfortable there - it's an oasis of calm, though right next to the High Street and with a lovely theatre just over the road. It has a huge carpark. We particularly liked being able to use the wonderful swimming facilities at the Peebles Hydro, its sister Hotel. The Park Hotel isn't cheap but we stayed on a 20% reduced rate for 3 nights. The 4 course dinner with coffee is actually good value especially when included in the room rate.
We have stayed there several times now over the last few years. This time our room was smaller than before, but clean and comfortable nonetheless. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2009

Do not stay here unless you like stains, even the sheets were stained. The worst was the brownish/yellow stains in holes on the bathroom floor. Go somewhere else.It was easily the worst room we have ever had to stay in. Stained carpet ,walls,bath, filthy windows URGH. IT was truly horrible.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank snoopster
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at The Park, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2010

We are sorry this guest did not enjoy the Park Hotel. We received a written complaint from her, alleging many very serious problems. We replied, addressing each complaint in turn and in detail, and refuting all of them. We believe this review is intentionally untruthful, as opposed to genuine opinion.

Reviewed 21 September 2008

Having stayed at most of the hotels in the McMillan Hotel Group, eg Peebles Hydro, North West Castle, Cally, & Kirroughtrie, the Park is the weakest link. Didn't have the same friendly 'family' feel as the others in the Group, nor the same value for money. Things started well, when on booking in, my wife and I were informed that we had been upgraded to a room with a view of the garden & hills beyond. The view was certainly very nice , but the 'upgraded' room was disappointing. Small, not very modern fittings or television etc, and generally rather tired. Didn't have dinner in the hotel, but breakfast was not memorable. Service was slow, didn't like the 'branded' hot breakfast selection, and the chef definitely doesn't know how to poach an egg!
Biggest problem however was that I paid my bill on checking out, and have to confess that I didn't pay too much attention to the detail, only to discover a few days later on checking my bank statement that I had been charged twice (slightly different amounts) I had paid another guest's bill , but the hotel took the second (larger) amount off my debit card without contacting me first, and without my intervention, I doubt if there would have been any thought of them refunding the first amount.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tuchenclut
Reviewed 5 April 2008

we have just spent two very pleasant relaxing days at the Park Hotel.

The hotel is centrally located in Peebles, across from the theatre and 5 minutes walk from the shops. It has ample off road parking.
The service was excellent particularly in the dining room. I requested some changes to the dishes on the menu , the staff listened carefully and passed on my requests to the kitchen. They made every effort to accomodate me. the food was very tasty and the only complaint is that we were tempted to eat too much !
the standard room was comfortable but small. If you want a bigger room you will need to upgrade . We booked two days before our break so there was a limited choice of rooms. The room we were given on arrival was number 75 . It has a large and noisy extractor outside. The room we changed to overlooked the road ,we did not find it noisy at night as there is very little traffic then.
If you are looking for quiet comfort with good food try the Park. hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2007

The park hotel is a lovely "house style" hotel. It is set in a lovely location surrounded by a lovely 9 hole putting green and gardens.

The hotel is well maintained and highly attractive. It is quite friendly and generally quite efficient and accomodating.

I had a good value stay, especially considering my stay was at Peebles's busiest time of the year during the annual "Beltane Festival". I am starting to return to my childhood town for this festival every year as its a good reunion opportunity for my to catch up with my old school friends.

Last year I stayed at the Tontine, another historic, attractive hotel right in the middle of the high street.

Back to my stay at the Park.

The bedroom was a very good size. The decor was compatible with a hotel of historic importance and was clean and well presented. The bed was fairly comfortable.

The bar was a very pleasant and homely room with nice armchairs and sofas. It was however crying out for some decent beers either reall ales on tap or quality bottles beers. There would be a lot of credibility for bringing in beers from local producers such as the wonderful Broughton brewery or the nearby historic Traquair brewery. The nearby Tontine has noticed this opportunity and is wellknow for the choice of beers. All the Park had was tennants on tap or Bud in bottle.

The bar food menu was a bit "same old". It did however have reasonable taste.

I was most dissapointed not to get into the resteraunt on the Saturday night, although I was well warned in advance to book as per the Beltane festival. I did however find reception to be very sharp "no's" in response to me trying to get dinner on Saturday. I'm sure they could have squeezed me in as a hotel customer. The reason I had not booked was that I was not sure of my plans at that stage as I was tying in with friends in the town and had to be quite flexible.

The hotels breakfast was outstanding, possibly the best hotel breakfast I have ever had and that is compairing with several 5* hotels. The stand out here is that anything hot is not buffet and is cooked fresh to order. Even on the hotels busiest morning of the year. Other hotels, please take note!

Other issue I had with reception was that there was a lovely decanter of sherry to welcome guests. I was not offered this and it was only in reading the "welcome pack" that I realised I should have been offered. There is no point whatsover of having "nice touches" such as this, if they are not offered. It ends up as being a point of contention rather than a nice touch.

Another point is that by being a guest at the Park Hotel, you can use the leasure facilities at the nearby stunning Hydro Hotel for free. I really wish I knew that before arriving and I would have brought my swimming trunks with me. The Hydro has a god sized Pitch & Putt course, a lovely swimming pool and fitness centre, It has riding stables for which there is oviously a charge but a reasonable charge at that. The hourse riding facilities would be very limited during the towns Beltane Week.

Please feel free to contact me with questions about the Betane week.

All in all I had a lovely stay at a nice hotel. There were a few disappointments however I would 100% reccomend this hotel which is one of the better 3* hotels, I have stayed at many 4* that are nothing near as good.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Mikewn
Reviewed 3 May 2007

Four nights in a peaceful (no children!), unhurried and very welcoming hotel. The staff were particularly attentive to their guests and this was one of the best we have experienced from a range of hotels throughout the world. Meals good, with generous portions although lacking in "that something special". At around £26 for a set evening meal, possibly better quality could be found in the local restaurants. However there was always a table ready for us (your own table throughout your stay) and when coffee was served in the lounge there was a choice of seating area - plenty of room for hotel guests and locals. Disappopinted with our first room on the top floor which was quite cramped with passable decor. When we moved to a "larger room" for two nights this was very good, spacious, comfortable despite the few minor repairs that were needed to some of the fixings. The larger rooms would be well worth going for if you decide to book this hotel for a holiday. And dog-friendly too! Would return any time.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
Peebles Hydro
#6 of 8 in Peebles
Traquair Arms Hotel
Traquair Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Innerleithen

Been to The Park? Share your experiences!