“terible hotel in every way!!”

Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
edinburgh
“terible hotel in every way!!”
Reviewed 30 March 2008

We booked two rooms in tortine hotel. Room 48 and Room 40. Both were small,poor decor, wallpaper marked,carpets disgusting and no heating on until evening and only for short time.
Room 48 was obviously used for smokers and we were both non smokers!! The smell was as if someone had just been in smoking. We spoke to receptionist who appologised but couldnt do anything about it.
We were in a cold room and had to leave windows open to try and get rid of some of the smell!
We went out and came back to rooms 11pm there was a group to school boys staying on our floor and the floor directly above.
They ran riot in the corridors and were still jumping of beds etc at 1am
I made two phone calls and my friend made one complaining of noise.
I have stayed in many hotels all over britain and world and this was by far my worst experience EVER!!
I dont mind noise but this was ridiculous.
We paid bill in mornig and recieved £10 deduction of bill for no sleep and freezing, smoke filled room!!
Cant say anything positive about this hotel. (which is also getting work done in reception and bar)
Its rooms they need to be concentrating on!

• Liked — nothing everything from start to finnish was terrible
  • Disliked — smokey cold room
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank NightmareInPeebles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
scotland
Reviewed 16 January 2008

We have just returned from a New Year Break at the Tontine where we had two rooms booked in the annexe, rooms 40 and 48 both of these rooms were cold most of the day as the heating came on early in the morning and went off at 10am and only went back on again at 5pm which meant that these rooms did not heat up until about 6.30. You could not have a shower in the early evening unless you wanted it very cool. We spent most of the two days in our beds during the daytime trying to keep warm. I was also disappointed that there was no entertainment on New Years Eve, as the last time I stayed at this Hotel over this period they had an accordianist playing and a friendly sing-along in the lounge.
However, on a positive note! The food was great, the staff were very helpful and pleasant, and the Hogmany entertainment was very well organised and typically Scottish (10 out of 10) for this.

Stayed December 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed 3 January 2008

I found this hotel using Google when looking for a New Year break. The web pages were quite explicit about the format and price of the three day break and everything was fine when I booked by phone. I duly received a confirmation of the booking, including price information.

When we arrived and found our room (number 48), the first thing we could see was somebody (member of kitchen staff??) right outside the window smoking. The window looked out onto a narrow lane at the side of the hotel and it felt really exposed. You would have no alternative but to keep the curtains permanently closed. The rest of the room was pretty dismal as well - cramped and with no amenities (not even a TV and although we are not obsessive about TV viewing, a 3 day stay when things close down over New Year isn't particularly promising). Had another room not been available, we would certainly have called it a day and headed for home. Room 47 was certainly brighter, although it is unusual these days for a double room to have a 4'6" bed. Even very basic travel lodge accommodation seems to have a much larger bed. Dusty blankets aren't great either and the room certainly wasn't overheated - heating only came on at 5pm each day, even though people tended to spend longer in their rooms over this holiday period.

However, despite all of these negative points, the staff were extremely pleasant and professional and we soon found ourselves thoroughly enjoying the break. Hogmanay itself was exceptionally well organised and a great time was had by all. The food was first class.

So, by the time we came to check out on the 2nd of January, all our negative thoughts had been banished. I did get a surprise when I got the bill as it was much higher than I had expected. I didn't have the original confirmation to hand, though, so I assumed that I had got it wrong. However, as soon as I got home I discovered that I had indeed been overcharged by £180 (confirmation letter and indeed web page itself stated quite explicitly that the break would cost a total of £660 for the two of us for accommodation got three nights, whereas the bill had some bizarre calculations which then added up to £840 for accommodation). When I contacted the hotel, they did apologise and did refund the money but I have a horrible feeling (from the face of the woman in front of me in the queue to check out) that I wasn't the only person to be overcharged.
I find it impossible to believe that this was deliberate overcharging, but given the number of people who all had the same package, the formula should have been pretty straightforward. Two people = £660, three people = £990 etc.

All in all, then, the turnaround in our views of the hotel - from extremely negative on arrival to extremely positive throughout the stay - has gone full circle and I really can't give it the recommendation that I would like to give. It's a real shame, because, as mentioned above, the staff were both professional and friendly and the food was great.

• Liked — Friendly and professional service
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shoddy1
Braintree
Reviewed 10 August 2007

This is a great hotel right in the heart of Peebles, I had a single room which was right over the front door of the hotel, the room was clean and large enough and had an adequate bathroom with both bath and shower over the bath.
The television had Sky news as well as the normal channels.
The food was very good and the restaurant was well decorated one comment to the chef chips that are brown are not always cooked however the rest of the food including the great breakfasts was well presented and cooked (Can we have fried bread added please?)
The hotel is used by many of the locals for a drink or coffee and afternoon tea so the place is always buzzing, the staff were all freindly and efficent all in all a very satisfactory stay.
One constructive comment is that the front car park is used by shoppers and delivery vans to other shops making parking at times a little difficult better signage and the THREAT ONLY of wheelclamps I am sure would cure the problem

• Liked — The great ambience
  • Disliked — Wot no fried bread
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank ejb2108
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2007

Stayed here for four nights, midweek.
The hotel is pleasantly located in the heart of the quiet town. My room was in the main building but a lot are in a 1970s wing at the back. The room was of a good size but the decor was rather tired, especially in the bathroom.

The bar is cosy but was packed - you can overspill into the lounge the other side of reception.

We ate at the hotel morning and evening. The evening menu was fine but the vegetarian option always seemed to be a frozen meal heated up - the other food was very good indeed.

Breakfast was not as good. The food was fine but there seemed to be non overall control and orders were forgotten and the staff more intent on clearing tables than making sure the people sitting at others were happy.

All in all I would stay there again but hope it gets a makeover before then.

• Liked — The location and atmosphere
  • Disliked — The dated decor
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank JohnUK
UK
Reviewed 27 February 2007

Spent two nights at this hotel- great location on the main street in Peebles with plenty car-parking on site. Staff very friendly and helpful at all times, made to feel very welcome. We stayed in one of the rooms that has been recently refurbished and it was lovely, good size and big, spotless bathroom. Breakfasts were great! Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
Camborne, Cornwall
Reviewed 13 February 2007

I booked in to the Tontine for a future date, whilst I was having a meal there and wanted somewhere to stay in Peebles, while my usual accommodation was not available. I had just moved away from Peebles and had often eaten at the Tontine. On this occasion I asked for and got one of the rooms at the rear with a lovely view of the hills. I was just up to revisit my mother-in-law .

I would highly recommend the Tontine Hotel. The meals too are first class. I hope to stay there again soon.

I'm sorry I cannot at this stage remember the exact date of that stay but it won't be the last.I do know it was one of their special weekend break offers.

I read some of the other reviews and felt I wanted to add mine even though I couldn't remember the exact date, because I feel this hotel deserves a good write up.

Mrs Joan Blackwood (previous Peebles resident)

Stayed March 2003
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
Peebles Hydro
#5 of 8 in Peebles
Castle Venlaw Hotel
Castle Venlaw Hotel
#4 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders? Share your experiences!