“Lovely short break”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
Ayr, United Kingdom
“Lovely short break”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Everyone very friendly, room comfortable and of a good size. Food and cocktails super. Have visited several times before and will return again. Happy to recommend. The staff to a man were very welcoming and cheery.

Room Tip: We have always had the slightly more expensive superior room (room 4 is our room of choice).
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Gordon I, Owner at Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you "Cowpitsheep" a lovely short review following your recent short break and it makes good reading. Thank you for being a regular guest and many thanks for your recommendation!
Kate, Gordon Innes & "The Tontine Team")

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Scotland
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We had an overnight bed & breakfast stay at the Tontine. The first problem was parking our car anywhere close to the hotel as the car parks (front & back) were full, it was a Saturday afternoon so I appreciate the town would be busy, but a 10 minute walk away?

We booked in with reception fairly easily and eventually got to the room. Down two flights of stairs and along a corridor carrying luggage. We were distinctly underwhelmed by the room which was very small and very dark, even with every light switched on. The "view" from the bedroom windows was of a car parked right outside them and the one from the bathroom was of the side road to the rear car park. This was also noisy with drivers revving their cars to get up the steep lane.

The room: far too small, not enough lighting to counteract the subterranean feel to it.
The sheets on the bed, although I believe they were clean, seemed to have a spatter pattern right across them?? Of-course we didn't notice this until we were about to go to bed so didn't contact reception about it.
Better sound-proofing required in this part of the hotel (circa 1970's) we were aware of quite a lot of noise - i.e. voices, doors banging, t.v. volume in another room etc.

The bathroom: Lots of wasted space, the bedroom could have benefited from some of it.
Ill-fitting windows which rattled and created a draught right through the bedroom, being drawn by the gap under the main room door.
Very large crack in the sink.
Dried toothpaste in the bottom of a glass.

Breakfast: good selection of fruit and juices, which we were enjoying when the waitress asked if we wanted our coffee and toast, we declined, saying we'd rather have it with the main breakfast.
One minute later another waitress brought the items to us and looked very confused - we hadn't ordered our breakfast at this point - it was a real Fawlty Towers moment.

We each had the full Scottish breakfast, not impressed. Everything was lukewarm and the quality of some of the items was questionable - particularly the sausage. When a waitress came to clear our plates she asked if everything was good, I replied it was just ok, she asked why. When I questioned the quality of the sausage she seemed to take it personally and announced loudly that the sausages were not cheap - I begged to differ, based on texture and taste.

Can't say I was overly impressed with the service in general. I also think a bit more vacuuming is required in the public areas and the dining room, on both occasions we were in them there seemed to be lots of bits and pieces lying on the carpets.

Given the overall problems, with the room in particular, I don't think we'll be staying here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ladyguru
Thank you "Ladyguru" for your review and the full and constructive nature of your feedback. You make a number of good points that we will share with the team. The biggest concern for us was the "cracked" sink which has been replaced.
Disappointed with your review of the bedroom / bathroom decor as this is a newly refurbished unit, however we accept the housekeeping had clearly areas for improvement, which we will attend to!
Kate & Gordon Innes (Hotel Proprietor's)
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We booked an overnight stay for bed and breakfast and decided to eat in the hotel for dinner.
Unfortunately, this was a mistake. Initially, there was a delay in the starters arriving and the waitress apologised explaining that she forgot to take the order through. Once the main course arrived we were left sitting waiting for sauce to be brought to the table as requested, and after almost 15 minutes of waiting and trying to attract the waitress's attention we were eventually attended to and also had to ask for the wine we had ordered to be poured, as it was left in a cooler out of reach of our table. The waitress did apologise and the supervisor did acknowledge this by deducting the price of one main course from the bill. I felt that this was reasonable as the meal was cold and I didn't particularly enjoy it.

The following morning we were seated for breakfast and waited on being served. I watched as the waitress served three tables who had arrived in the restaurant after us and unfortunately after twenty minutes I had to leave my seat and ask if we could be served. I was then told that she would be with us next.

The hotel is centrally located and the room was an acceptable standard with views of the tweed.

However, I would strongly recommend to the management that immediate training to improve service within the restaurant would benefit their business for customer satisfaction and return.

1 Thank Daisy144
Thank you Daisy 144 for your review and feedback and we are on this ocassion sorry that we did not deliver good service during dinner & breakfast. Your comments and review have been shared with the team, who were aware "on the night" that we had not got it right. I was made aware that we did apologise on the night and the duty supervisor did talk to you and attempted service recovery.
Renewed apologies to you for the poor standard on this occasion and thank you very much for the constructive feedback contained in your review.
Gordon Innes (Hotel Proprietor)
Belfast, N Ireland
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I stayed at the Tontine while on one of my regular winter fishing trips in Scotland. Usually small Scottish hotels in January are fairly quiet places, just about staying open. It was quite a surprise arriving at the Tontine to find the attractive lounge filled with locals enjoying afternoon tea. The desk staff were friendly and had me checked in in no time. My room was at the top and back of the hotel and would have been a neat fit for a couple but fine for me; warm, opening window (horray), good lighting and clean bathroom with excellent towels. My one complaint of the stay was that the shower over the bath was a little temperamental. My fishing companion's room looked large and luxurious.

Breakfast was excellent with buffet of fruit, cereals etc and cooked breakfast made to order. The evening meals were also good quality. The large lounge with sofas and open fire was a pleasant place to enjoy a whiskey after the meal.

Throughout our stay the staff were uniformly pleasant and helpful and there were obvious signs of training and leadership. Definitely recommended and Peebles is an attractive small town and good centre for exploring the Borders.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter but may be smaller
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you jr89 for your review and constructive comments, which we have enjoyed reading. You have given us some good scores, together with a couple of useful pieces of feedback. Thanks very much!
Gordon Innes (Hotel Proprietor)
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

My wife and I spent 3 nights at the Tontine Hotel and were impressed by their friendly, helpful staff.
Food and service was of a very good standard.
However, the carpets and decor are rather tired, particularly that of the hotels higher level floors.
Routine maintenance was lacking (our room had 2 unserviceable lights and a power socket loose in the wall).

Room Tip: Be sure to book the Hotel Restaurant well in advance since it is sometimes given over to local funct...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Gordon I, Owner at Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Thank you for your review via Tripadvisor. You have made some good constructive comments and I was glad (your guest feedback questionaire) to read that you reported in-room maintenance issues to our housekeeper. You are quite right regarding our carpeting and general decor in "the old house", it is tired and is long overdue refurbishment and I am happy to report that the painters and decorators start work this very Monday, they will strip, re-line all wall coverings and re-paint, finish by end February. We have this morning finalised new Carpet designs and quantities for the bedroom corridors. Please come again (after Easter) and witness the refurbishment first hand.
Thanks again for your feedback!
Kate & Gordon Innes.
Peebles, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

My husband, myself and our Labrador stayed like the previous reviewer, in room 34.
Certainly not the best for views but clean, warm and comfortable. Perhaps in need of a little TLC but we certainly wouldn't let that put us of staying again.
All the staff we met were extremely polite and helpful and the food was excellent. Beautifully presented and good quality. We ate in the Bar area for Dinner and Breakfast so that our Dog could be with us. Very appreciative of this.
As this was on an Itison voucher offer, we had a very good deal as this included an afternoon Prosecco tea.
We will most certainly return to The Tontine and thank the staff for making our stay so pleasant.

Room Tip: For views across the River Tweed do not book room 34! ..... Ask for a rear facing room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Gordon I, Owner at Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Thank you very much for taking time to post your review via Tripadvisor. We do indeed allow Dogs in the Bar area, where well behaved Guests can also enjoy food and drink. I know this is much appreciated by our dog lovers!
Kate & Gordon Innes.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

My elderly mum and I just needed a wee break away from Edinburgh (only 40 minutes away) but the Tontine Hotel delivered everything that we wanted...and more...
We arrived to a very warm welcome from reception...and directed to room 34, which did not have a view, however, we did not plan on being in our room for long.
We had afternoon tea, and although the hotel was extremely busy (a funeral party), we enjoyed excellent service.
In the evening we had dinner, which was absolutely delicious, and once again the staff were amazing.
Had a great nights sleep in the most comfortable bed, then enjoyed a fantastic breakfast, served by very efficient, friendly staff....
Compliments to the Chef....Food was perfect....A huge thank you to "all" staff...so professional, yet warm and friendly....and to the "Management"....you've got a great team....you must be doing something right....credit where credit is due.... Will return for sure.... well done!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you indeed for this great "wee" review, we loved your feedback, comments and overall recommendations. Makes great reading for us! Our Itison promotion this early New Year has proved really popular and we have received some super feedback from Guests!
Many thanks again!
Kate, Gordon Innes & "The Tontine Team"
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
Peebles Hydro
#4 of 8 in Peebles
Traquair Arms Hotel
Traquair Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Innerleithen

Been to Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders? Share your experiences!