“Mill in Selkirk”

Lochcarron of Scotland Visitor Centre
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Selkirk
More attraction details
Owner description: Lochcarron Visitor Centre, in the heart of the Scottish Borders, offers our famous mill tours where you see all aspects of tartan production, then peruse our Visitor Centre and shop for knitwear, tartan and our fabulous accessories as well as taking a look at our lovely gift shop - Our newly expanded coffee shop offers Starbucks coffee, home made cakes, scones and light lunches! Well worth a visit!
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Very interesting but expensive to buy produce although of an extremely high standard, cashmere is beautiful. Nice coffee shop, light lunches. Ample car parking and friendly staff. Worth a visit as is salmon leat, little museum, Scott Old courthouse and if you enjoy Indian food the restaurant in the Market Place MUST not be missed. Best to book if you want to eat in the evening, especially on Thursday when they have special offers. a real treat

1  Thank DaveMaggie2013

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

There's no lack of places in Scotland to purchase tartan fabric, but Lochcarron was the nicest one we visited. They measured my daughter for a custom-fitted kilt and helped me to choose the perfect color sweater to go with my own kilt (which was back home in the States). It was not a color I'd ever have considered, but our clerk's practiced eye knew better than I did. I'm looking forward to the fall when warmer clothing will be the order of the day again.

When we were done with our shopping, we enjoyed a cup of tea and a scone in the cafe. Having tea and snacks available in retail establishments is not common in the States, so this was our first experience with this lovely Scottish custom. We grew quite fond of it before we headed back home.

We didn't look at much besides tartan fabric and sweaters, so I can't really comment on their supply of knitwear. Their stock suited our needs perfectly. I would expect nothing less from the people who designed tartans for Shrek and Peter Rabbit both.

2  Thank tiggywinkle1214
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The food is way overpriced and the majority is micro zapped. Very poor would never go back,maybe as a ghost!!!

1  Thank RWB-RANGER2
Reviewed 19 June 2013

The mill tour was really enjoyable and insightful. Staff friendly and the cafe is good. Classy shop with no 'tartan tat'. Nice tourist experience all round.

2  Thank RoyAB
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Took a tour to see the inner workings of the factory and was pleasantly surprised at how interesting it was! The cafe was nice for a coffee and a cake afterwards, and there is a good range of clothing on sale in the shop.

2  Thank Sue B