US$145
US$127
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$141/night.

US$105
Book now, pay at stay
US$111
  • Bar/Lounge
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$125/night.

Tushielaw Inn(Selkirk)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsone nightoff road parkingfish piestornoway black puddingeggs benedictexcellent breakfasta bit crampedcooked breakfastspecial mention must goking roommeal dealvery attentive staffmotorcycle tourcheese boardan overnight stayon arrivalbackground music
Reviewed 6 June 2018

We had a comfortable night in the second floor room at this hotel. Access to the room was via a spiral staircase.
The wifi signal in the room was good. The room had block-out curtains. Even though it faced the main street, the town was quiet overnight.
Car parking was inside the hotel grounds. The entrance is directly off the main street and through a gap in the building – look out for the ‘private car park’ sign.
The dinner in the hotel was enjoyed and reasonably priced. The staff were pleasant.
The cooked breakfast was good.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

This is a nice if somewhat dated hotel clean tidy with nice friendly staff I would stay again in the centre of a nice little village lots of space in the room thank you for making our stay nice and comfortable

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 April 2018

We had a large room which allowed us to dry off all our gaer after walking in snow all day. We had our evening meal in the hotel. Very good value and good food. Nothing fancy but good bar meal. The breakfast menu was the most extensive we had been offered during our week in the Borders. Well worth a repeat visit.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 March 2018

Never been to that part of Scotland before but jumped on the plane to visit the area and booked the hotel. On arrival, I was met by one of the owners - very welcoming, pleasant and made me feel special. My room was all prepared and they knew I was coming -well briefed about their guest. My room was spacious, clean and warm. I was shown around the hotel, the history , breakfast times, dinner etc. Went out came back late to the hotel, it was quiet and the bed etc was very comfortable. I slept like a baby:)

Had a hot shower , went downstairs for breakfast, to my surprise the owners were up early, welcoming the guests and asking for breakfast request. I had breakfast brunch with salmon, toast and well done egg real yummy. The hotel should be classified as 5*. The customer service is first class.

Thanks for a great experience -ola

Room Tip: fantastic customer service
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
TrondDalby, Owner at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

Thank you for staying with us - and for taking the time to leave a review. We always welcome feedback - positive and negative - and our professional team members work hard every day to make all guests feel welcome. The majority of our rooms are now refurbished; the ones that are not are being sold at a lower rate to reflect this. We sincerely wish all our guests have a comfortable stay with us - and are really happy that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 14 February 2018

Really disappointed with overall experience and facilities.
This was a family weekend away, 3 nights with a 2 year old and 7 month old.
Luckily I rang day before travel to confirm booking and cot would be there. The lady I spoke to was very vague and wasn't sure if they provided a cot. I asked her to find out and call me back as I was travelling from London via car and if I didn't need to source a travel cot it would be helpful. Call back advised I needed cot. So after I sourced a travel cot as I didn't own one we arrived to find they provided one, though the bedding wasn't safe for a baby. Very kind to have provided it as their website stated but ringing me would have been great to save me some space in my car.
Arrived at hotel, had to find staff to check us in. She was friendly but not the usual hotel receptionist. Lack of enthusiasm, wasn't very sure of the information she was providing.
The family room we booked had only one positive, it was large and provided space for kids.
Negatives:
Two double beds joined together, may suit some but not for us
Décor was drab, wallpaper peeling in corner by window and showed signs of damp
Room was warm in evening but freezing in the morning, I didn't want to touch the duvet as it was so cold.
Bath robes are available on request which I discovered at end of trip. Would recommend getting one as its so cold in the morning.
Windows are draughty and 2 inch gap below bedroom door which pulls through a draught.
Bathroom is not suitable for children, no bath. A tiny walk-in shower and the water dribbles out. No radiator in bathroom so again it was freezing. Only 2 bath towels even though it was family room. Damp spots on ceiling.
3 mornings in a row we had no electric, on the last morning when we told them they didn't sort it out so we couldn't shower before leaving. When we addressed this issue the said it wasn't their fault. Of course it was their fault the system kept tripping.
We also had the issue of other guests smoking at the fire exit beside our room, they left the door open so we could smell the smoke. We addressed this issue also as surely the alarm should have sounded when the door was opened. They said they checked and there was nobody there. I don't believe they checked at all or a fire alarm sounded.
This hotel is not disabled accessible as there is no lift. We had nowhere safe to store our pushchair and had to leave it in reception behind desk. Not being able to have pushchair in our room was an inconvenience as we were going to use this as a seat.
Thankfully we chose not to have breakfast so were spared more disappointing service.
There was no interaction from staff, nobody approached us asking how our stay was.
Selkirk is a beautiful town with amazing scenery, such a shame this hotel doesn't provide a good service.
Will not be back.

Room Tip: Don't stay in 206
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family