“Fantastic location”

Tibbie Shiels Camping
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Motorcycled to St Mary's Loch - fantastic roads. The Inn has a small basic campsite in an amazing location on the Loch. Staff were welcoming. The bar menu was limited but the food was cooked well and was tasty. Live music on a Saturday night was most welcome - the House band were fantastic and well worth the journey.

I will say that the bar prices were expensive - I have never paid £4 a pint in this country before!! I also think that the decor needs updating.

But overall the road to Moffat and the amazing location made the Tibbie Shiels Inn something I want to repeat. I think the staff are working hard to build something remarkable - there's room for improvement, but I like Tibbie Shiels!! :)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We've stayed in a lot of campsites around Scotland and England, and this one has to rate among the bottom few. The location is lovely, and if you're fairly self-contained would make a lovely stay, but don't rely on the facilities being any good. The water in the showers was lukewarm at best, and with only one small pipe feeding all the showers and washing-up facilities, you often had to run around in the shower to get wet. The toilet block was just about falling over and had no soap or hand-towels. The public loos at the nearby cafe were a better bet. We didn't eat there, but friends who did reported the food as overpriced and mediocre. They ate at the cafe the second night, and enjoyed that more.

Our stay was also marred by drunken idiots late at night, but that's not really the campsite's fault.

Overall, a cheap stay, but I've had far better for less money.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Joe M
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We have just walked the Southern Upland Way and all the stops were good or excellent. Tibbie Hiels was awful. Room overlooked carpark and camper vans and smelt of dogs. We opened the window and cigarette smoke wafted in from customers smoking in the carpark. We shut the windw and went for an evening meal. It was appalling - the supposedly carrot and coriander soup was an unpleasant green sludge colour and tasted pretty awful and the steak pie and cottage were dreadful. I was hungry and can usually eat most things but only could eat the potato topping on the cottage pie. I think it was the worst meal I have ever been served. The staff seemed to find it amusing that I hadn't eaten anything. Breakfast was no improvement. Egg and bacon was an egg and one slice of bacon and the toast was the end pieces of a sliced loaf and although we asked for brown bread we were given white.

12  Thank Jan C
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I visited Tibbie in September of 2011 after the World stock Dog Trials & fell in love. I immediately contacted Tibbie & Claire helped us secure our reservations & all its details & she's a dear & so welcoming. The atmosphere is so quaint & inviting with clean facilities for those who love life & just want to enjoy & get to know others & themselves. It's under new management since my first visit & I love their (Alistair & Marie Therese's) enthusiasm & desire to make you as happy as they are. My husband & I enjoyed every aspect & found our room, clean & comfortable (thank you Sheila!), with the gorgeous view of St. Mary's Loch each morning breathtaking & worth the trip! I especially love the history of Tibbie & the great writers that frequented the Pub -Sir Walter Scott, The Ettrick Shepherd (James Hogg), Robert Louis Stevenson just to name a few. Our stay, 9 nites, was a dream come true with its tranquil, serene beauty & family treatment with TLC.. The party they held in honour of my 62nd was memory filled & complete with the best Sticky Toffee Pudding (order it with custard)for a real treat & must for visitors! All in all I must say it was everything we imagined. We love their dedication at making the most of their venture. Due to traffic flow cutbacks have been necessary, however be patient as perfection comes with time & hard work, which they have an abundance of & we've total faith in their commitment to make it all work! We personally enjoyed the food - loved the steak, burger, & lamb. Breakfasts were enjoyed leisurely (since unlike most B& B's with strict early times to eat) , you could eat early or opt to eat any time until 9:30 a.m. or later if you chose. Choices are bountiful: eggs, cereal, bacon,sausage, beans,mushrooms, tonatoes, porridge, fantastic omelettes, juice, coffee, tea & toast with delicious jams made by Alistair's Mother. I was able to get laundry done & we became part of a loving family as Marie Therese's precious young daughter, Katy, who's a delight & enthiusiasm for life refreshing puts it all in perspective! "Life is what you make it" & Tibbie completed our lives! I hope you let them complete yours! Carpe Diem!

Best of luck to you all! See you in a year!
Thanks for the memories & we'll return for more of your hospitality...

Room Tip: Loved our room with the view of the Loch. There are rooms a bit larger, but not with this exception...
2  Thank Debs551
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Just back from a two night stay at Tibbie Shiels campsite! Location is simply amazingly beautiful! We chose to camp next to loch making to really easy for my partner to fish. Also fire pits are ideal to keep the beasties away at night! Great value for money at only £20 for two night for 2 ppl. Toilet facilities are basic and cleaned out daily. Whilst camping u shouldnt expect 5 star facilities there ideal for what u need for a cpl of nights! We also had dinner at restaurant which was hearty tasty homemade grub. Great relaxed atmosphere created by owners and other campers. Perfect for families and couples looking for a relaxing breakaway! We will be going back with kids soon! Its simple facilities are u get what you pay for! Location is priceless! Enjoy!!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank calvert29
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Tibbie Shiels is set in such a beautiful location it is a shame it is not making the best of it's charm. The lochside views and the walks around are spectacular but when you get back to the hotel for a meal you are sorely disappointed!
Just back from spending a lovely afternoon walking. Enjoyed a cool beer overlooking the water. Tried the fish and chips for the evening meal... at £11 we were expecting at least fresh fish and a decent sized portion... wrong on both counts. Would not recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jan2105
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Having visited a couple of years ago with friends in campers, and having had a wonderful experience then, we expected the same when we returned recently. We were so disappointed. We asked to order a meal to be told that we could not order until 6. We tried again at 6 but we were told that the next 'slot' to order was 7.10! It seems food can only be ordered in 10 minute slots! Nevertheless we ordered our food at 7.10 and waited... and waited... and became annoyed until eventually, at 8.15 we were served. For a mediocre burger and a baked salmon which was uncooked in the middle it took a very long time. We were not the only ones and people around us were trying to entertain hungry children. We were allowed to park our camper overnight in the field, which cost £10, the showers were so bad as to be unusable and there was no chance of hooking up to the electricity. All in all not a very pleasurable experience.

7  Thank ElaineJS