“tibbie shiels irrationl owner” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tibbie Shiels Camping

Tibbie Shiels Camping
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“tibbie shiels irrationl owner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

when we arrived,i did as was said on the booking form and looked for a reception,another guest said they had been there for 3 hours and had seen no one,so I knocked on a door that I saw someone walk in,the chap that answered was very agitated looking and I asked where I could camp,i am disabled but I don`t look disabled so he shrugged his shoulders and pointed to a space between a pile bricks and a load of teenagers or I could walk with our tent stuff and dogs about half a mile over the field and camp there,my husband had went to use the toilets and he said they were disgusting, I asked if they had any disabled facilities his reply was we have a diabled toilet and I acted like the world owed me a favour,i was then treated to an outburst of I`m a business man and if someone gives me money I could do this and do that,he said the whole place is diabled,i think he means dilapidated,i said I was leaving and he said I`b be best to,how right he was,we called around a couple of other campsites and one told us he has his good and bad days,which I think is disgraceful,we did find the most beautiful campsite called honey cottage,the showers were spotless,as were the toilets and the site was perfect and only pennies more,the lochs and the setting are the only thing going for tibbie sheils,the owner has no idea of warm Scottish hospitality and why should he not being Scottish,his campsite is manky and his attitude stinks as much as his toilets,watch him run a beautiful setting into the ground and make people not want to come back to Scotland.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
22 Thank connie r

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

Tibbie Shiels.....what can I say...Beautiful setting, great campsite with massive potential. Alistair and his team are great. They are working hard to create a place that is relaxed, fun and family orientated. Alistair is an interesting chap with his heart in the right place.

This site is a work in progress and we wish Alistair all the best in achieving his goal. The pub was lively with some excellent music from Conor McAfee.....with Alistair starring playing base!

I hope TIbbie's doesn't rest on their laurels....but Alistair and his team strive to make it what I truly believe he wants it to be! Work hard on the food and don't let those tricky customers/reviews get you down.

I have no issue with the no bringing in alcohol to the site rule, but maybe this could save yourselves a hard time by advertising it more clearly on your website. Other than that......great craic!

This is a rustic......charming........country inn with a camping field....if you are after a 5 star slick experience don't come here........BUT if you are chilled out, want to enjoy the beauty of St Mary's Loch, are interested in meeting people and having some craic.......sign up right away!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank conor_murph
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

My family (me, my husband, 15 yr old son and 5 yr old daughter) friends (husband, wife 3 sons 14, 11, 8) book into Tibbie Shiels for 1 nights camping on 15 july, on arrival at 1pm we were told of the no drinking rule, we did have beer in our car but accepted the rule and left it there. we were told the bar opened at 6pm for drinks and food. We brought snacks with us but no other food as we expected a lovely meal in the bar. After pitching our tents side by side on the edge of the loch which is stunning, the scenery is beautiful, we walked round the loch and did some fishing in the glorious sun shine. On using the toilets for the first time we were utterly disgusted!!!! they were swimming in urine, covered and I mean covered in flys paper towels everywhere sinks to dirty to use and stinking to high heaven, the obviously have not been cleaned for a very long time!

At 6pm we walked up to the bar, which isn't easy to find the entrance to, when we arrived it wasn't open. we waited 10 mins for the door to be opened to met by silence no welcome or thanks for waiting! inside we ordered a round of drinks and asked about food, we were told Alistair had an appointment in Edinburgh and would be back at &
7pm, we accepted this and had another round of drinks, at 7.20pm my friend went to the bar and asked again about food, she was told she didn't know when Alistair would be back! my friend said if they knew he had an appointment why didn't they make other arrangements, this was met with don't be cheeky please leave!!!!!! We had 5 kids with us and by 7.30pm u can imagine they were starving!!!!!!!!!!!! we had no food!

on returning to our tents we took our beer out of the car and started to drink it, fellow campers all pitched in made some food for the kids which we will be eternally grateful! At 9pm we had a visit from Alistair, he approached our tents and seen our beer his reaction was you have alcohol I am phoning the police to have you all removed! we were flabbergasted at his attitude and gave us no chance of explain our situation.

half an hour later we were approached by 2 police officers who told us the owner wanted us removed! we explained the situation and they were very understanding in the fact all the drivers had a few drinks and were un able to drive.
after they spoke to Alistair they managed to get him to see sense, all the campers around us help us explain our situation we were not rowdy had no music on and just chatting. Alistair then took my husband aside and said we could stay if no more alcohol was consumed and he even offered to make the kids some chips! a little to late though his attitude was terrible and shouldn't offer food from 6pm if it is not available. the police were fantastic and even removed a fishing hook that had got stuck in my sons finger! after they left the fellow campers who helped us all came and sat round our camp fire and we eventually had an excellent night with them all. Thank you all so much.

overall views are amazing, site facilities are terrible and disgusting, staff are arrogant and down right rude will not be returning that's for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
24 Thank Val W

Travellers are raving about these Selkirk hotels

Edinburgh
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

Imagine the most beautiful spot in Scotland for camping in the beautiful sunshine, a warm, clean Loch and sail boats. Combine that with the toilet in Trainspotting that Renton falls in to and you have Tibbie Shiels. This shamefully filthy and neglected pit of a place is the biggest disappointmment I have ever experienced camping. We have travelled and camped far and wide and truly I can cope with most. It is camping after all. The female owner was pleasant.....her husband a grump who was the direct cause of 2 parties leaving after one night. She told us the facilities are basic and that's fine....but there's clean basic and then there's filthy basic and this is the latter which by the time you get to 10pm , is totally covered in dead flies and midges just to make things worse. The female toilets are tolerable...the males were so bad my husband couldn't use them. We stayed 2 nights and in the whole time we were there the showers were not cleaned out and neither were the dish washing facilities even though both badly needed it. There were grubby beer towels and old scourers littering the place and grass everywhere from where the dead grass that coated the field had been walked in and never swept up. There is an inn with a pub on site and the ridiculous "no alcohol" rule (other than if you buy from the bar of course) is handy for the owner and nonsense for a camp site. Apparently this is because it is a "family"site but yet they do nothing about quietening the parties that rage past midnight. People vote with their feetand I have never seen such an exodus after one night as i did here. One couple left before dark the night they arrived.
Suffice to say we will not be back to this site and the only saving grace was that we didnt fork out a fortune to stay in the inn itself as that was grim too. There has been no money reinvested in this operation and it is badly needed. Avoid like the plague or you might indeed catch it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
15 Thank SusanR77
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

Went camping with a few friends here last weekend. The area is lovely with various walks and mountain biking trails locally. The grounds for camping are ideal but the toilet facilities are unhygienic and grubby.

Food was actually quit tasty and well presented, tables were too close together for my liking as i don't enjoy people staring over my shoulder while eating.

Owner a bit aloof and clearly has obvious Asperger traits and can seem a bit intimidating.

All in all not a place to visit if your used to more clean facilities and you have expectations above average.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Graeme W
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

Motorcycled to St Mary's Loch - fantastic roads. The Inn has a small basic campsite in an amazing location on the Loch. Staff were welcoming. The bar menu was limited but the food was cooked well and was tasty. Live music on a Saturday night was most welcome - the House band were fantastic and well worth the journey.

I will say that the bar prices were expensive - I have never paid £4 a pint in this country before!! I also think that the decor needs updating.

But overall the road to Moffat and the amazing location made the Tibbie Shiels Inn something I want to repeat. I think the staff are working hard to build something remarkable - there's room for improvement, but I like Tibbie Shiels!! :)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Popovo, Bulgaria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We've stayed in a lot of campsites around Scotland and England, and this one has to rate among the bottom few. The location is lovely, and if you're fairly self-contained would make a lovely stay, but don't rely on the facilities being any good. The water in the showers was lukewarm at best, and with only one small pipe feeding all the showers and washing-up facilities, you often had to run around in the shower to get wet. The toilet block was just about falling over and had no soap or hand-towels. The public loos at the nearby cafe were a better bet. We didn't eat there, but friends who did reported the food as overpriced and mediocre. They ate at the cafe the second night, and enjoyed that more.

Our stay was also marred by drunken idiots late at night, but that's not really the campsite's fault.

Overall, a cheap stay, but I've had far better for less money.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends