“needs a new manager”

Tibbie Shiels Camping
Reviewed 20 May 2009

manager with an appalling attitude. scenery was stunning with being right on the lake side. meals are very poor value for money expensive and very basic.woild not go again unless the management was to change,we have never been spoken or treat the way that we wre we were totally appalled .the manager said that he was tired with being up late the night before ,but that can or should not be forwarded onto new residents

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
8  Thank CUMBRIASHAZZ
There are newer reviews for Tibbie Shiels Camping

Reviewed 9 May 2009

Just popped in while out for a day trip. Gorgeous scenery, good, if narrow roads. Tibbie Sheils Inn itself was everything a traveller would want. Clean, welcoming, warm (stove/fire) friendly, good food and smiling hosts. It's also dog friendly to well behaved dogs. A really good experience. 10 out of 10 for everything. Will be back.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2009

Looking at the outside, it does looks like it's in need of a little TLC but, once inside, any changes would ruin the character of the place. The new landlords took over in summer 2008, and are really making a great effort. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and the food was, whilst basic, was varied and tasty.

Whilst the location helped our enjoyment (we walked a lot), it was the attitude of the landlords (Alistair and Selina) and some of the locals that made it work for us. Everyone was so welcoming that we've already made plans to return.

The old adage "you get what you pay for" does apply, but we got more than we bargained for - excellent location, good weather, very welcoming landlords, great food, and good company all round. Heaven!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2009

A warm welcome in the middle of nowhere! Tibbies Shiels Inn is unique. The rooms are clean and airy and ensuite. We had a room with a view over St Mary's Loch. The view changed constantly with the weather and we a saw some impressive birds of prey.

The bar was well stocked warm and lively, full of friendly local characters. The food was good and plentiful and the breakfast particularly hearty.

The residents lounge had comfortable chairs, a piano and various other muscial instruments, games and lots of reading material. The conservatory was not in use.

The whole place is full of old furniture, picturesand curiousities, all indicative of its colourful past. The welcome from the staff was warm and friendly. we were allowed to take our dog, and the whole hotel has wireless broadband.

There was no TV in the room, only as far as we know in the bar.

The surrounding scenery is spectacular. It is approachable with many established walks. The long-distance coast to coast Southern Uplands trail passes alongside the Inn.

We intend to return at Easter and to camp in the grounds in the summer.

We really enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 November 2008

arrived at tibbies last year at 8.00pm to be greeted by the owner who greeted me with hope you do not want to eat the kitchen closed 15mins ago.came back this year wowwee new owners . were made to feel very welcome i.e would we like food the rooms are much better,the atmosphere is tottally different much more relaxing and friendlier. nothing was too much trouble and anything i asked for was done in a happy and friendly way. i would tottally recommend anyone to go in fact i have allready booked my trip for next year

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 10 May 2006

Me and my cousin & her husband stayed one night at the Tibbie Shiels Inn back in September of 2004. When I arrived, I thought "how beautiful", but was unimpressed when I entered the premises. It is a place to stay for people who prefer "rustic" and camping-like accomodations. I can't say it was terrible, because afterall, it is an old cottage built in 1827 with an addition added on before 1878. But it was just not my cup of tea. I stayed by myself, in the bedroom on the bottom floor, situated next to the seating area in the front of the building. There were two twin beds, but I could only have a pick of one as there was a spider above the other bed which I couldn't get at. There were actually a few cobwebs in this room and in the bathroom. The door locked with a skeleton key. My window by my bed wouldn't close tight or lock. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well that night, I was scared to death. I slept with the light on and in the clothing I had on that day (didn't change into pajamas). I couldn't use the shower (more spiders); and, with the knowledge that Tibbie Shiels herself was known to haunt the place didn't help my predicament. And no TV of course. There was also a very greasy smell throughout the Inn from the cooking in the Kitchen. Ventilation bad I guess.

Also a big negative was the fact that the Inn was so far away from everything. It seemed forever getting there on a long, winding road, which was dark and scary at night. We wanted to be closer to Selkirk where we could check out the archives and surrounding towns. This location is just too far away if you plan on touring the Borders.

I do, however, have some positive comments. St. Mary's Loch is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. The Inn is in a secluded area, surrounded by the Loch and mountains. Absolutely breathtaking. I could look out my bedroom window and see sheep walking by. The next morning, I got to see Scottish Mist. It was quite an experience, and I am glad I stayed there, just to be able to say I stayed in a 19th century old Inn which is haunted, that was frequented by Sir Walter SCOTT and Robert L. Stevenson. I will never forget it.

You will either love it or hate it.

6  Thank I_Luv_To_Travel_Too