See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

My family (my partner and two children aged 5) and I arrived on Monday 31st July as planned, travelling the 5.5 hour trip from Herefordshire. Despite the website and confirmation email confirming we would be greeted on arrival, unfortunately there was no-one there. We waited about 15 minutes a spotted a lady walking past our car. We approached her and realised she spoke little English and although worked there, she was unaware of the process. She did not know of any wheelbarrows to use but we did spot one and decided to go ahead and use it – as advertised wheelbarrows would be available.
We went to the yurt alone and read the welcome book in the absence of any guide. The yurts are tired and in need of smartening up inside. It was not the bright interior pictured on the website. It was disappointing that the free welcome pack of tea, coffee and biscuits was not in our yurt, again as advertised in the booking confirmation email.
We walked back up to the shop to try and get an understanding of the site and discovered some toilets and showers. We assumed these must now not be in use / an overflow facility as the website advertises that new shower blocks are on site to us
I spoke to the owner Nicholas Weeks on the site phone to introduce myself and to query whether the dirty showers (covered with mud and grass) I had found were the ones we should be using. He confirmed they were and informed me you would come to clean them. I was very disappointed to find those were the new showers but satisfied he would clean them. I now realise the website is out of date.
Some hours later that day I decided to use the toilet so made my way up. As I approached the facilities, Mr Weeks was walking back from the house to the shower blocks. I note no sign was left in his absence to warn the toilets were being cleaned. We stood and had a conversation. He apologised for me finding the facilities in a dirty state and informed me he had cleaned them with bleach and hosed them out. As we stood, the rain got heavier so he ushered me into the centre toilet to avoid us both getting any wetter. He remarked he was finishing the cleaning of the final loo. He stated it had been cleaned with bleach but was ready.
Unfortunately, whilst using this toilet, my new coat purchased for the holiday was damaged badly from bleach that had not be washed away properly. The largest mark being shoulder blade height!
Upon discovering the damage, I emailed Mr Weeks Tuesday morning to make him aware of the damage caused to my £40 coat. I was saddened and alarmed to discover he was unwilling to take responsibility. It was at this point, he became very aggressive and he informed me I failed to take a duty of care when using his facilities!!! When I phoned to try and peacefully discuss and resolve, he instantly became very irritate and demanded I leave the yurt immediately despite me having paid for 5 nights! I had only been there 2 nights by this point. As you can imagine, I was shaking in shock and very upset and had no choice but to pack up and go. With no where else to stay we were forced to go home.
Mr Weeks left a vile voicemail suggesting I wasn't normal and that I was negligent when it was he who had been. Imagine if someone had put their hands in the bleach and touched their eyes. Awful. He later sent an email to try and cover up his demand for me to leave stating I could stay but this came too late and clearly we did not feel comfortable or welcome.
I have since written to Mr Weeks as suggested by my solicitor however he refuses to acknowledge he is at any fault so I am now pursuing this further.
My Weeks was negligent and failed to provide a safe environment for his guests to use. He later suggested I should have waited until it had dried. Neat bleach won't become safe when dry. He lacks basic health and safety understanding.
This was our first holiday in 2 years and had been booked since October 2016 and we feel as though it was stolen away from us. If you say something he doesn't like he will eject you using the clause nuisance in the T&Cs as a reason.
He clearly doesn't like having to clean the toilets and doesn't like taking instruction from a women I suspect.
Avoid this man and his "glamping" business at all costs.
The day we left all yurts were empty in August! Speaks for itself.
Please email me on amanda.radley@hotmail.com for photos of the "new" shower blocks.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Cosmopolitan656892
Reviewed 24 September 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for one night as a mid way stopover break. We are a family with 2 children age 10 and 7. We had a great journey and found accommodation easily. We were greeted by a man not sure if he was the owner or not but he showed us to our yurt and gave us a quick welcome talk. We could see he was very busy and he was telling us how his wife and other family usually help out but they were away and he was coping (or not) alone. Maybe this could explain the dirty throws on sofa bed. Linens were ok but not luxurious. Bathroom facilities are definitely in need of attention, nothing glamorous about those. We had a bbq for our evening meal and it was the oldest rustiest unstable barbecue that I've ever seen or used .
The positives are the location and its surroundings they are simply beautiful and a real peaceful area away from any hustle and bustle. The children enjoyed riding their bikes on the little tracks and paddling in the stream.
Night time was pretty special with the log burner on and twinkling lights, (after we'd replaced the batteries!).
On departure we couldn't find anyone to sort out our refundable deposit.
We left the yurt as we found it. However my deposit wasn't refunded for quite a few weeks of chasing it. I sent numerous emails asking why and where my mind eh was to be told it would be sorted soon. Eventually about a month after we visited I finally received an email to say there had been a problem with the yurt we had stayed in but they had now ruled us out of the issue! Whilst I can understand this I think the lack of communication and service we received is not great.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Smithdgoi
Ettrick-Valley-Yurts, Owner at Ettrick Valley Yurts, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2016

I was saddened to find your review and discover you were so unhappy with your stay. As you can see from our other reviews we have never had a problem before.

I must agree with you, I was running around like a blue assed fly trying to make everything work. It was simply a day when everything went wrong, and to make things worse it was the only day this year when Staff had problems getting to work.

Of course, had you told me about the problems at the time I could have immediately change the offending items or offered your family an alternative yurt to your liking. Failing that I could have given you another form of compensation or, indeed, your money back.

We love to help people, and all the time we try to ensure that people enjoy their holiday. But we cannot help you unless you first tell us that you have a problem.

We will be very happy to have you stay here free of charge one weekend that suits you, subject to availability if that helps right matters.

Reviewed 24 September 2016 via mobile

11 of us went over the August bank holiday and we had a fabulous time exploring the Scottish borders with the Ettrick Valley yurts as our base.

We arrived in darkness and were delighted with the view when we rose the next morning. The campsite is in a really beautiful setting with amazing views over the valley. No light pollution made for a beautiful starlit sky to admire.
The yurts were perfect, clean and comfortable with a wood burning stove in each. And lit up by fairy lights and candles gave each one a magical feeling.

I'd certainly stay here again and I'd advise bringing your own torch for loo trips, but thats just because we didn't find the one supplied until the morning!

Plenty of parking space, although it is a gravel car park, so bikers need to bring a sidestand puck to keep your bike from sinking.
We ate at pubs a short ride away, decided against attempting to barbecue for 11!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2016

Had a great time at Ettrick Valley Yurts. Enjoyed the quiet surroundings, spacious and well stocked yurt and very comfy beds. Beautiful setting and lovely to have the fire pit, BBQ and bonus honesty shop. The stream was great for kids and the yurt cozy and warm. Didn't need the wood burner but I can tell that it would warm the place up in minutes. All in all, very relaxing.
Just two little things which, imho would improve things:
- I agree with one of the previous reviewers about the wahing-up challenge. Any chance of linking the hot water supply up to the big sink behind the shop? That would do the trick.
- Also, a mop in the shower rooms would be handy to give the floors a wipe before/after showering. The floors get a bit manky when it's wet outside... and it is Scotland :)

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2016

Lovely accommodation in a beautiful setting. Great facilities in the yurt and plenty of space, however the toilets/showers let it down as these are quite small and there are only 3 which meant queuing to use the next morning in the pouring rain :( but despite this we had a great time!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends