“One night stay.Lovely location”
Review of Nith Hotel

Nith Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dumfries
Nith Hotel
Ranked #14 of 48 Dumfries B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“One night stay.Lovely location”
Reviewed 7 October 2012

This was not our intended location but Dumfries was full & we could not get anything else. This turned out to be a blessing as the location of the Nith is really stunning.See pictures i added.

This hotel is nice. The room (8) we was in was nice with a decent view. Only thing was the radiators did not work so we had to use a portable heater but i must omit that done the job. Bathroom only had a bath, no shower but not a real problem.

Bar area is really nice with a nice fire on the go. Restaurant is ok but was cold in the morning for breakfast. The thing that makes this place is the food which is really nice. I had fish & chips & my wife had the duck which were both delicious.

Room Tip: Try to leave breakfast to 30 mins after it starts so that the staff can warm up the room. When book...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EdinburghChaz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Scotland
Reviewed 2 September 2012

This is a fairly local restaurant for me, so we eat here every couple of months. You would think the chap behind the bar may, by now, smile and greet us as familiar faces. Not a chance! There is never a flicker of recognition which seems odd, verging on rude. However, the steaks are the best in town and you can choose to eat in the lounge bar or the dining room which offers wonderful and ever-changing views of the River Nith, and ignore the snub. However, the waiting staff are cheerful, helpful and efficient.
I first went to The Nith Hotel in 1976 and suggest that until recently, it had never been re-decorated, so it was looking tired and dilapidated throughout. This weekend we ate in the dining room and it had to be pointed out that the wallpaper is new (I never noticed, which is not a good sign) - it looks faded, but that is the design, apparently. The old Axminster carpet with its intensely busy design still shouts at the chintzy design on the walls and rococco mirrors surely went out in the 70s. Certainly the paintwork has been freshened up and some new lighting in, but it still feels incredibly dated - an opportunity missed to bring the dining room into the 21st century. Getting rid of the red draylon-covered chairs might be a good idea too.
Will we go back? Absolutely - the steaks never disappoint, and portions are so generous we usually play safe by avoiding the starters, although they always look good and are excellent when we are feeling greedy, then see if we have room for dessert (not often!) Is there room for improvement - yes, and as people feel the pinch in difficult financial times, they look at the whole experience, not just at what's on the plate.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank half-full55
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My boyfriend and I went out for a meal last night. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Nith has been newly decorated. The wallpaper is still very in keeping with the traditional feel of the place. All they need now is a new, perhaps plainer carpet - and the place will be stunning!
Our meal was - as ever - perfect! My boyfriend had a steak, which was cooked to his exact requirement with no error at all. On first glance it looks small, then he cut into it and it was the thickest steak I've ever seen!! He opted for the whiskey sauce with it, I really wish they bottled the stuff to sell! I also had It with my chicken. It's so tasty and complimentary to the food without being over powering.
The waitress we had was lovely, and very helpful. All of the staff we encountered seemed approachable, and very interested in what they do.
It's the same family that have run the hotel for years, but it's now the daughter. She's putting her own stamp on the place whilst keeping the traditional feel, great food and lovely welcoming ambience. Can't rate this place highly enough!!!

• Stayed August 2012
Reviewed 1 July 2012 via mobile

We regularly visit the Nith Hotel for a meal out. The food is always of a very high standard, I've never once had any complaints.
We went for my partners mums birthday in May and yet again weren't disappointed!
The waitress was friendly and knowledgable when asked about certain dishes, and when I was being picky about my veg and not wanting broccoli, nothing was too much trouble and I didn't feel like a nuisance.
Both our starters and main courses were excellent, and the portions were very generous. So generous not one of us managed a dessert!!
The decor is a little dated here - the carpet is threadbare in places. The walls are stained with I presume spilled food in bits too - but that's the only criticism. It definitely doesn't detract from the great food, food service, or excellent value for money.

• Stayed May 2012
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Had bar meals with my husband and 2 children. Sat in the restaurant, firstly noticed that food was all over the Walls at table 17. Ordered children's meals to come out with starters and got told it would happen with no problems - not the case!!! They came out by the time we has finished our starters where we could not enjoy this and then they came out later on. Ordered drinks an our children's fruit shoots came and they were out of date. No replacement could be offered as they "were all out" but had a fridge full at the beginning.! Food was not great- all Pre heated food where it had just been warmed up. Kids was burnt. Service was appalling as the waitress just was not interested in anything and the other older lady was just a nervous wreck wandering around. No apology and then had the cheek to charge us for the fruit shoots out of date as well as replacement drinks.. Will not be back again and will not be recommending this to anyone...

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Liketogivehonestreviews
Dumfries, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Went to the Nith for a meal with seven other people. The food was excellent, reasonably priced and the service was great!! Will definitely go back! The only negative thing to say about it is that it could do with a little modernization on the decoration.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Did not stay but visited the restaurant one Sunday night, had not booked so unfortunately did not get the best view out of the panoramic window in the restaurant, but the food was very good and all three of us enjoyed it. There was food splattered up the wall next to where we sat which was why I didn't feel it was 5/5.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Weew81
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club
Hetland Hall Hotel
#7 of 7 in Dumfries
The Manor Country House Hotel
Friars Carse Country House Hotel

Been to Nith Hotel? Share your experiences!