“very poor service”
Review of Nith Hotel

Nith Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dumfries
Nith Hotel
Ranked #14 of 52 Dumfries B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Approx a year ago I along with my partner and my sister visited this hotel for lunch..
We placed our orders and waited for our food to appear. My starter finally appeared after a considerable amount of time.
After consuming my starter I sat back and waited for our main course.
While waiting a number of other persons came in and for some reason were served before us.
After about 30mins and with no sign of our main course I enquired at the bar to what was happening to be told our order had been over looked. As I am an insulin dependant diabetic I require to eat my full meal within 20 mins of my insulin being administered which I explained to the barman who took our order. The young man did not appear interested and was unable to confirm how long the meal would take. We therefore decided to cancel the order and move on to another hotel for lunch. On returning home I wrote three letters to the owner complaining about the situation that arose during our visit to the hotel. I also wrote a review on this web site which appears to have been removed I assume due to the content of my complaint. It has now been over a year since our visit and I still have not received a response from the owner of the hotel
to any of my letters. Needless to say I will not be returning to this hotel in the near future.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Wilson P
There are newer reviews for Nith Hotel

Reviewed 20 May 2013

Went for lunch. Food was great, the steaks were some of the best I have tried. Servce was a little slow and it wouldn't have hurt the staff to smile a little. Decor and furniture really needs an update. Overall a lovely place to go eat, food was great and a good amount of choice. Would return and recommend it to others.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Planned a bird-watching holiday based at the hotel for a week in March. On the second day we were snowed in and stayed that way for two days. The hotel staff could not have been more helpful and considerate - we could bird-watch through the picture windows of the dining room and were supplied with unlimited tea and coffee! Meals were first class. We had a great time despite the weather, largely due to the hotel and its staff. We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

That's the second time I've been to the nith this year and the second time we've all came away full & contented. The party consisted of 4 adults & 2 kids. Everyone had different mains & none could be faulted. I had a 16oz steak which was like a man v food moment cooked medium the way I liked it. The steak pie didn't disappoint either(might have that the next time i go) or did the seafood pasta special. A couple of us had the home soup which hit the spot. The other starters were fine aswell & a couple of us enjoyed some puddings aswell. Food & drink prices are very reasonable, can't complain at all. Great views of the nith from the dining room. Only slight grumble would be that the place needs modernising but who cares when your getting decent grub at decent prices. I'll be back.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We stopped by for lunch while exploring the area around Dumfries. The bar tender handed us menus with no hint of welcome. Prices are high for mediocre food. The place is clean but the overall experience was bland and unfriendly. If we are in the area again, we will try the cafe across the street.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Have visited the Nith on 5/6 occasions for lunch or evening meals. First impressions was friendly but in need of organisation. Had a few steaks that were spot on but the last 2 were seriously over cooked more a rare steak, I decided to let this go and not fuss but I was very disappointed when my husband went to pay for our meal, we had a gammon steak and my sister wanted egg not pineapple and fancied a second egg. When paying we were charged £2.55 for 1 extra egg. I find this very very expensive, most places would charge £1 or even £1.50 but £2.55 excessive. When questioned the bar lady said she didn't make the prices but the boss did. Have since learnt she was the boss. Poor on most levels. This to 1 side food can be very good, but can also be hit N miss and because of the excessive charge for an egg we have not bothered to go back even though we only live up the road. Shame really!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MarieHoyle
Reviewed 7 October 2012

This was not our intended location but Dumfries was full & we could not get anything else. This turned out to be a blessing as the location of the Nith is really stunning.See pictures i added.

This hotel is nice. The room (8) we was in was nice with a decent view. Only thing was the radiators did not work so we had to use a portable heater but i must omit that done the job. Bathroom only had a bath, no shower but not a real problem.

Bar area is really nice with a nice fire on the go. Restaurant is ok but was cold in the morning for breakfast. The thing that makes this place is the food which is really nice. I had fish & chips & my wife had the duck which were both delicious.

Room Tip: Try to leave breakfast to 30 mins after it starts so that the staff can warm up the room. When book...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EdinburghChaz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Holiday Inn Dumfries
Friars Carse Country House Hotel
Huntingdon House Hotel
Huntingdon House Hotel
#2 of 52 in Dumfries

Been to Nith Hotel? Share your experiences!