“A lovely lunch at a lovely establishment”
Review of Nith Hotel

Nith Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dumfries
Nith Hotel
Ranked #14 of 49 Dumfries B&B and Inns
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“A lovely lunch at a lovely establishment”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

When you are just outside Dumfries in Glencaple and want a lovely lunch in lovely surroundings, then the place that I am about to review is the place for you, and that place is The Nith Hotel in Glencaple Dumfries.

I was there for some lunch today and we had a lovely lunch.

The top reasons for selecting this place for lunch are :-

1. The place is clean

2. The welcome is warm

3. The staff are friendly

4. The food is delicious, especially their gammon and eggs, and hot chocolate fudge cake which I personally recommend.

So if you are in Glencaple and really hungry then make The Nith Hotel your first stop.

Room Tip: Book early to avoid disappointment for your special occasion
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I was at the Nith hotel tonight with my fiancé for a meal.We were served by a very polite young waiter, we waited about 15 minutes for food order to be taken (which I wasn't bothered by as thought this was normal in a busy wee place) and he was full of apologies for our wait! I ordered the steak salad and my fiancé had the sweet and sour chicken.My steak was cooked to perfection :) and what a portion you get as well! Huge salad and a portion of chips on the side - delicious! My fiancé said it was the best sweet and sour he's tasted.We were too full to even consider a pudding! Overall I would say the Nith hotel is fantastic value for money, lovely friendly staff and wow, what a view out the window you get - added bonus! Decor has a lovely homely feel to it :) I will be recommending this restaurant to all of my friends :)

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Laydob
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

I visit this hotel for lunch and dinner a lot but this time was a left down. Came to the hotel for dinner at quater past 8 at night and walked up to the restaurant to be greeted by a young man who told us to go back down to the bar area to eat as they were re setting the restaurant. There was only a couple of small tables in the restaurant and the bar was busier so I don't know why we were sent away? I have always enjoyed this place for lunch and dinner but this time was a let down for being sent away for being not allowed up stairs and the only table at the bar was next to the door and my partner was cold enough. Very disappointed in this service. Will be my last time there which is a shame but there are plenty more places in the town to eat

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank sammcc92
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Very nice setting overlooking the river Nith, we were greeted by a nice friendly girl behind the bar, service was good with nice staff & the food was lovely. I had Scampi & my hubby had 16oz gammon steak, cheesecake & sticky toffee pudding very good.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Gretna Green, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2013

This is a great Hotel the food is excellent and the rooms are spacious and very clean, the breakfast was outstanding. The views from the Hotel are marvellous. We can recommend the Nith without a doubt.

Room Tip: great food at a good price ,and large glean room overlooking the river
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dumfries, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I had been to the Nith hotel once in the evening and had enjoyed their food so much that i had persuaded a few friends to go here for sunday lunch. We hadnt boked a table but the gentleman at the bar made sure their was room for us and we went up stairs to be seated. I was really dissapointed that in the time i had last been hear there had been no improvemnets to the decor. It really is a let down that the place looks so old and shabby. The carpet looks like something my gran had 30 years ago in her house and the wall paper is old and outdated. We were seated by the window which has amazing views over the water. The only problem was it was so hot. There was no ventalation in the restraunt the windows were all closed and we were all hot and botherd and couldnt wait to eat and leave. There was a large table booked in and also a function happening but it was still quiet enough. We all orderd the highland chicken as i had raved about it so much, but we were all really disapointed with it. The portion sizes were good. My chicken was really dry on the outside, the sauce which is usually packed with flavour and amazing was bland and tasteless. My bacon that was wrapped around the chicken was all fat, and grizzle. The waitress seemed really nice, and the gentleman at the bar was lovley as well when we went to pay. For £12 each i would have hoped the meal to be really good. If they would just up date the decor i think the place could be really good! I just hope if i ever go back that the food has a bit more flavour.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Annan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Me and my family decided to call in for Sunday lunch. However, we only stayed for the meal and not overnight in a room.

Dated and run-down decor, didn't feel or smell particularly clean, the food was bland and uninspired, "medium-rare" sirloin steak was tough, chewy and well-done, chips were awful, the peas and carrots were clearly from a tin, despite the peas being advertised in the menu as "garden peas", offered condiments and a sticky and encrusted bottle of HP sauce was plonked on the table, pleasant view of a wasp squashed against the window right next to my chair.

Overall, this restaurant needs to be gutted, modernised and the menu updated and improved greatly.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Holiday Inn Dumfries
Friars Carse Country House Hotel
Ken Bridge Hotel
Ken Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in New Galloway

Been to Nith Hotel? Share your experiences!