“great, homely and great food”
Review of Aberdour Hotel

Aberdour Hotel
Aberdour Hotel
Ranked #41 of 48 Dumfries B&B and Inns
Dumbarton, United Kingdom
“great, homely and great food”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I will start by saying I stayed at the aberdour for the best part of 2 years whilst working in Dumfries, I was extremely well looked after by the staff, the rooms were ideal and if there were ever a problem it was dealt with right away.
The food was fantastic, very reasonable prices, huge portions and plenty of choice, personal favourites being the sweet chilli chicken stir fry and the 16oz gammon steak. If there was a better place in Dumfries for bar food then I have still to find it after 2 years of trying.
You are central to the city centre, plenty of shops, restaurants and pubs (to my detriment on more than one occasion) close at hand, no more than 2 minute walk.
If you are looking for a 5 star hotel then book into a five star hotel, however I did have the option to stay at both the aston and cairndale whilst I was working there and still chose the aberdour as my home away from home.

Well done guys, fantastic place with great staff

Room Tip: All rooms are spacious but my personal favourites were 2,5 and definitely 7
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We visited this place for a meal last night and although we did enjoy the food, I found the staff attitude poor. I had to ask for a glass to drink the bottle of water, which was given grudgingly then when they came to our table at the end of our meal and I told her the food had been good but said I was unable to drink all the white wine in the glass because there was sediment in the bottom from the wine lines, I would have expected at least an apology but the lady said only that I could have a new glass if I wanted but as we were leaving I declined.She then explained that the reason the sediment was there was she had just changed the carton. I know that if she had responded with a positive atitude to my comments and not come across as surly, I would not have put a review on here. At no time did she say sorry and I felt customer service training was needed,as it is letting down the reputation of the hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DumfriesAlan210
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The reception was in mess. The room was tatty. No cups and tv remote control. The toilet lid wont open . No sugar on table. No choice of juices or butter. Crap marmadale. The shower pole is broken and loose.

Room Tip: I will never recommend it to my friends
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank bainrosie55

Travellers are raving about these Dumfries hotels

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Just spent a week here with 9 golfers. We enjoyed the cooked breakfast every day and other choices available too. Friendly helpful staff just don't stop. Smashing having a bar to relax in every night.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Scotland
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed overnight as we had a funeral in Dumfries. Our rooms were clean and reasonably furnished though we looked straight onto a pitched roof which was only about a foot away from our window. The dining room was uninviting with chairs stacked against the walls and a bit disorganised. The breakfast however was good especially the porridge. O'kay for the money but I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DoonhamerScotland
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Just spent one night here at the weekend. This is very much a 'you get what you pay for' hotel. Room basic, furniture shabby, bathroom still had left-over remnant of soap in shower, complete with hair.....
But on the plus side, the bar was lovely, prices and service good, and the breakfast was excellent. And this hotel is really convenient for the town centre, just over five minutes walk away. I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to stay here again, but if all you want is a cheap and cheerful place to rest your head, this fits the bill.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sheree_Hem
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Had a lovely meal tonight. Portions were very good and piping hot. Everyone enjoyed what they had and staff brought my dad's cake through singing happy birthday thanks for that would recommend aberdour for a family celebration. As been before and never been disappointed in any of meals or service

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family