“Quality pub food”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Scotland
“Quality pub food”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Visited with my mother for an early evening meal. Given a choice of where to sit and offered drinks upon being seated. We had 3 courses and each course was delicious and brought fairly quickly. We asked to hold off for a pudding until we had digested our mains and this was not a problem.

Would definitely recommend and return.

1 Thank Siobhant11

Devon, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting. Fantastic food”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Visited the restaurant for dinner when staying at a B&B nearby. Limited choice but food was beautifully presented and husband reported the steak to have been one of the best he had ever tasted.

southampton
“Genuine Homemade Food”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We visited with six family members on a Saturday evening and did not book, expecting it to be quiet however it was packed full due to a local event. We arrived at 7.30pm and were not seated until 9.20. However the waiting staff were taking orders whilst we were still waiting for our order as that way when we are seated our meal can be cooked straight away instead of having to wait. This is a very good idea! Once seated the service was very quick, I had a burger with cheese and bacon no relish. The burger was as promised home made as was all the meals. The lasagne is huge so be warned. All the portions were of generous sizes and all meals on the menu stated homemade it really was real homemade food, although I find this word gets thrown about so easily these days. The burger was not the usual round same shape, it was different thickness across the burger and an oval shape. The fish and chips was haddock and it was freshly battered to order. Steak pie absolutely beautiful according to my husband. The plates are cleared quickly, instead of having one waiter or waitress to defined areas they all help each other which is better. I was the only one to have a dessert and I chose Lemon Meringue Pie and once again as promised it was authentically homemade as it was huge with real lemon rind in it and fluffy meringue with thick pastry. Only down side was my slice of pie was very sour, I could hardly eat it. I don't like cream or ice cream with my puddings so not sure if this was partially to blame or not. I told the owner but his response was that everyone else's has been fine and they have had compliments on it!! My slice was obviously the wrong one to have, although not sure because I am English if he was disgruntled by this as on the same day I also experienced a cold welcome due to my origins. All in all a good meal, good service just make sure if you visit on a Friday /Saturday that you call to book a table. We visited whilst in Dumfries visiting family as my husband is Scottish. We also had his daughtet and boyfriend with us. Along with my husbands sister in law and niece who are Scottish. Good bar prices and selection too.

Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Good Food at affordable prices”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Enjoyed a early evening meal here in July. Vast menu at affordable prices. Wine a little expensive but the beer reasonable.

2 Thank Val S
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Visited cavens last night busy lovely atmosphere .The food was wonderful large portions and value for money .disagree that it is overpriced .

Visited August 2014