“Very Comfortable Stay”

Best Western Station Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Only stayed one night on our way north. Building is one of the original Station Hotels that used to exist in most towns. It still retains it beautiful features. Our room was upstairs and faced the station but this was not a problem. Very comfortable room with two armchairs to relax in. As it was a Sunday we had an evening meal in the restaurant. My husband said it was the most tasty beef he had had in a long time. I had fish and both meals were very nice. Breakfast was also very good with a varied choice. Car Park was right outside and free to residents. The staff were very friendly and gave us a map and details of a walk around the area.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

having read some of the negative reviews about the staff we were not expecting too much. We were totally wrong to assume as this was a fantastic stay where the staff seemed to be genuinely interested in us and making our stay first class. The room was clean with a huge bed which was so comfy! Our first nights meal was part of the package and exceeded expectations it was quality cooked to order food and we were not disappointed. Would definitely go back here and would highly recommend it!

Room Tip: 2nd floor room 26
1  Thank larajones
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Had a lovely stay here. Staff are really friendly & it is also such a beautiful building with lots of period features. Room is very comfortable and spacious.

Good also v good.

Would definitely recommend.

1  Thank Rjd1985
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Stayed at this hotel with my wife over the August Bank holiday while we were visiting family in the area.As before - stayed here a couple of times previous - the staff were most welcoming,the premium room was a superb size with a 4 poster bed and jacuzzi bath and the "Full English/Scottish breakfast" was freshly cooked to order and plentiful enough to make sure you never wanted a lunch!!
The receptionist's,bar and restaurant staff were great,the hotel was rammed with members of a bowls club on tour but got to say I never heard a complaint - would recommend this hotel to all and sundry,great prices and right opposite the train Station to boot.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Anthony E
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I recently stopped at the station hotel in dumfries during our annual golf trip. First impressions were impressive....until we got through the revolving door to hear the mangeress shouting at the rest of our party about their golf clubs and that we were deliberately trying to break the antique revolving doors!
She then told us we wernt allowed to take our golf clubs to our rooms - think she thought we were going to have a few practice swings in the room....
The same rude woman, I'm not going to call her a lady because she is anything but, virtually rugby tackled me when I arrived back to the hotel on the saturday night with a pizza! 'Don't think your taking that to your room!!' She then ushered me to a little room where she wanted me to sit like a child at the dinner table and eat my pizza. Not a chance, I'm 32 not 8, so I toddled up to my room with it when she wasn't looking. 2 mins later...knock on the door...hello sir, I've come to confiscate your pizza! I then heard the following morning that this happened to a few more of the party - forced into rooms to eat their take away like children.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anybody unless the mangeress leaves. She's a nasty piece of work.

19  Thank docdey07
AileenMcGhie, Owner at Best Western Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Dear docdey07

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate feedback from all our customers and I welcome this opportunity to respond.

Your comments have not been taken lightly and it is clear that the impression that you have been left with is neither positive nor complementary to the hotel. The issues you raise could certainly have been handled in a more polite and effective manner. There is no advantage in me responding to each issue one by one, however, I can assure you that your complaint has been taken very seriously. After reading your comments, we have taken steps to look carefully at all our policies and the way in which we communicate them to our guests. Improvements will happen.

Thank you once again for your feedback, we are embarassed to have read it and I give you my assurance that changes have been made.

Yours sincerely
Aileen McGhie

Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

We arrived very late without a booking but were treated to a wonderful welcome by the night staff. Our room was not one the refurbished set, but still clean and comfy, and it passed the shower test with ease. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice. Overall a nice old style hotel that deserves to do well, and we will be staying again at some point in the future.

1  Thank MalRees
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Stayed 4 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.The staff from management to cleaners were friendly,cheerful and always helpful.Food was good,room was large,clean and tidy.Would stay there again.Train station ideally situated for days out to visit other parts of Scotland.

Room Tip: The superior double room had secondary double glazing keeping noise to a minimum
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Holiday Inn Dumfries
Hetland Hall Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
#7 of 7 in Dumfries
Best Western Dryfesdale Country House Hotel

Been to Best Western Station Hotel? Share your experiences!