“May 2014”

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
1  Thank James H

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. All of the staff are very professional and welcoming, and the food at the Bistro was of a very high quality. Our room was very comfortable, clean and spacious and Aileen provides a personal touch that other Best Western hotels I have stayed in did not provide. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and will no doubt stay there when I return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights 13/5-14/5/14. Excellent location in terms of railway station and Dumfries town centre. Food very good , especially breakfast.
Rooms bright and airy and very clean. Aileen the receptionist very helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for her. Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Good tasty rib eye or sirloin steak cooked to specification (for 2) inc bottle house wine (£29.95): We opted for the Chilean Merlot, which was pleasant. Service excellent, restaurant decor / ambience: good. We added 2xstarters & desserts and bill came to £50 in total. We've opted for average but really want to rate it as good (which there isn't an option for). The starters /desserts fell short of a 'very good' review

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
AileenMcGhie, Owner at Best Western Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Travelled up to for the ice hockey Playoffs in April 2014 and although this hotel was a bit pricey compared to some of the others in the area (£65 a night) I figured I would treat myself to a nice hotel for a change. The hotel is right outside the train station so it is easy to locate once you step of the many services that go through the town.

The receptionist on the first night was the owner and she was a very pleasent. She went into the brief history of Dumfries and the outlay, and ended it by saying "enjoy your stay"......the only problem was that at that point she hadn't given me the key or told me which room I was in. Made me laugh in a way. Upon ascending the stairs to the top floor I was greeted by a fantastic view from my room.

The room itself (Room 40) was adequate for one person, with a reasonably sized TV with the majority of the freeview channels on there. However, there were one or two things about the room I was less than impressed by. The first was that it was filthy, there were mini-eggs all over the place and there had been virtually no care given to the toilet/shower room, which was covered in hair. What was more annoying was that the shower head had clearly become detached at some point in the past and reattached with duct tape. As soon as I turned the shower on the water force it's way through the gaps in the tape and subsequently made having a shower pretty much impossible as the head kept on dropping to a point where it was showing back on itself.

Getting to sleep was fairly easy but staying asleep was another matter as a lot of freight trains went through the station throughout the night, so if you're not a heavy sleeper then you might struggle to get a decent night's sleep.

The morning came around and I headed down for breakfast. You could help yourself to the cold buffet, although not a lot was on offer, and you could also have a hot breakfast. The food was very reasonable and the sausages were very nice indeed. I soon headed out and the hotel is located just a few minutes walk from the town centre, which is very convenient.

Upon my return my hotel room had been tidied, as had the bathroom, but there were still mini-eggs in various locations around the room.

Overall it's not a bad hotel and I wouldn't rule out staying here again as my hockey team play away in the town (against Solway Sharks) on a regular basis, but I hope if I stay here again that they have made sure that the rooms are clean and the shower heads fixed when broken.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank njackson84
AileenMcGhie, Owner at Best Western Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Guest
I am extremely sorry and extremely embarassed about your experience at my hotel last weekend. If only you had called down to let me know when you got to your room, I would have moved you to another - clean and egg-free - room without hesitation. Our Housekeeping team normally receive great praise and are very apologetic for their mistake. We look forward to seeing you on another occasion and assure you of our best attention. Please do not hesitate to be in touch if I can be of further assistance. Regards, A McG

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Booked a room for which the check-in time was 2.00pm. I arrived a little after 2.00 and was told (very apologetically ) that the room was not quite ready yet. I didn't have much of a problem with that as I could do some work for half an hour. I was shown to a table in the bar and offered a cup of tea. Some 10 minutes later the receptionist told me that the room was going to be about another half an hour so she had upgraded me to a twin room that was ready (I had booked a single). As other reviews have stated, the hotel is a little 'tired' (though spotlessly clean) but made up for by the quality of service from all the staff !

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business