“Best sleep I've had in months!”

Best Western Station Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I always read reviews on Trip Advisor and have learned to take them with a grain of salt. I find that people complain about the most trivial things like 'the room decor was outdated' or 'there were only 2 complimentary shortbread cookies in my room....' This review is based on what matters most to me when staying in a hotel; service, cleanliness, and comfort.

My wife and I were travelling through Dumfries and decided to stay here because of the convenient location and good value. We we very happy with the service we received and absolutely loved the bed in the room (28). The bed and pillows were incredibly comfortable, and even though we were overlooking the train station the room was quite quiet. I am a very light sleeper and this hotel gave me the best sleep I've had in months. The room was very clean, spacious and comfortable. I personally like the historic feel and look of the building, too many new hotels all feel quite cold and corporate to me. I would recommend the hotel to anyone who wants to have a great night sleep at a good rate. I did not get to sample the menu as we are pub fans, but the area has a lot to offer on that front.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndrewTC7

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed for two nights at this hotel. Had Room 23 which was more than adequate space wise. Lovely comfortable bed. The room however urgently needs to be redecorated. The housekeeping was very, very poor. Our room was not hovered on the second day and we found that the towels were not changed - despite leaving one in the bath to show we needed it changing. Dust covered the lampshades beside the bed and dust layered the top of the headboard, which proved these had not seen a duster for quite some time !!! Breakfast was excellent and staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TinaBurtonOnTrent
AileenMcGhie, Head Housekeeper at Best Western Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Guest, I am the new Head Housekeeper as of last week and it is my duty to ensure the cleanliness is up to scratch. I am extremely sorry for the lack of attention in the room you stayed in. I am putting routines in place to make sure that this will not happen again. I promise that the next time you visit with us your standards will not only be met but exceded. The hotel is also working on an exciting programme of re-furbishment, with Room 23 being high on the list of priorities. Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Just arrived back from the Station hotel after a 3 day anniversary break.Our room number 23 was enormous with a massive bed and plenty of pillows one of the most comfortable beds we've slept on in a hotel and we've been to quite a few!!! The room was a bit dated but we didn't mind. The wardrobe was in a bit of an awkward place. The staff were very friendly especially Terry who answered all our questions on where to go and how to get there (hope you enjoyed Elton John Terry) the food was also some of the best we have eaten in any hotel 5 star for food and service!! A very relaxing and welcoming atmosphere. There are about a dozen steps leading up to the hotel and revolving door which make it quite difficult with luggage I'm sure you could have assistance but it wasn't offered. There is a level entrance round the front but we only discovered this after check in. On the second day of our stay housekeeping did not change our towels just folded dirty ones and put them back on the rail even though I had put them in the bath to indicate I wanted them changing also no plastic beakers or bin liners. One more point I think there is a need for an anti slip bath mat as the bath can be very slippy when wet. All in all the good outweighed the bad and if we go to Dumfries again we will definitely stay at the Station hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
1  Thank Gordon C
AileenMcGhie, Owner at Best Western Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Reviewed 15 June 2014

My first impression was positive...checked in by very pleasant lady, room adequate, plenty of hot water...however as my room was on the station side I got virtually no sleep until the early hours, due to trains, buses and guests slamming doors. ! I asked for a quieter room but there were none available even though I had requested a quiet room at time of booking. With earplugs not so bad second night. My request for some of my own bread to be toasted on the morning of my departure was refused, for 'health and safety' reasons. This has never presented a problem in other Hotels, and I found this rather mean spirited, particularly since the tone in which this was delivered suggested I'd asked for the contents of the safe. A message awated me on my return home to call, which I did, and felt I was being mildly chastised for leaving 'without paying' even though, as mentioned by staff when I left, 'my card would be debited' and as in fact it had been. Quite extraordinary and this is not somewhere I would consider staying at again for the reasons outlined.

Room Tip: Avoi station side rooms if light sleeper
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Bluevegan
AileenMcGhie, Owner at Best Western Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Guest
I'm sorry we disappointed you and would like to apologise for the communication confusion re settling your bill. Kind regards, Aileen

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Some would be put off by the vintage appearance of this hotel. We loved being there the night of 25 May! Obviously the hotel has seen some history. The rooms are well-appointed and clean. Our bed was comfortable and the bathroom was modern. We rested well even though our room was facing the railway side of the hotel (and the railway station is across a small street from the hotel). The building has a charm about it that is not generic. Our tour took our evening meal in the dining room. The breakfast staff was a bit overwhelmed with all of our tour arriving to eat at approximately the same time but they served us well and the breakfast was good. Though it took an inordinate amount of time for all of the tables to receive their food, the food was good. The lift is completely adequate for individuals. We traveled as a tour on a motor coach but the hotel seemed to be centrally located. It would be ideal for tourist traveling by railway.

Room Tip: We were a few floors up, on the railway station side of the building, and we were not disturbed by n...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Holiday Inn Dumfries
Hetland Hall Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
#7 of 7 in Dumfries
Best Western Dryfesdale Country House Hotel

Been to Best Western Station Hotel? Share your experiences!