“OH dear me, hate doing this.”
Review of Hetland Hall Hotel

Hetland Hall Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Well where do we start, Honesty I think, after a brutal drive over the A66 with the weather, we were met at the door by smokers, who seemed not to want to move, there was a bucket in situ, but not all previous smokers had used it. We were met by a pleasant employee who handed us our keys, but only directed us on request by myself, in the foyer there was a lovely log fire, and a few seats,there was a wedding party in attendance very nice as it was Valentines day, this area was the old part, character warmth history etc, on climbing the stairs we enterd through a door that was obvious the newer part of the hotel, it was cold, like walking into another hotel, we found our room, Room 15. all identified as non smoking rooms, as we requesed, the room was a good size, but on closer inspection it wasnt dirty but needed some TLC, cobwebs around the wall light, two portable radiators, the usual kettle tea coffee hot chocolate / buscuits etc, hairdryer. one wardrobe for clothes and a safe. the bathroom was tight, bath had a glass panel but we didnt try to move it as it was quite rigid, once in the shower the bath was spongey and didnt feel safe, you banged your elbows on the glass or the wall on trying to turn around, and it did take a while for the water to run hot. and if you were stood at the sink and closed the door, if someone entered they would knock you into the bath. our double bed were two singles pushed together not what we expected, but they were comfy, the pillows were very thin, and the quilt nearly fit the bed, very poor in my opinion, once settled we decided to go for a drink, but the bar was small and 5-6 deep with the wedding party, so we decided to give it a miss, after all it was their day, we gave dinner a miss as we or I had been up very early and travelled after work, we were hungry and dinner didnt start until 6pm, so we ate out and then visited our Son in Dumfries, returning late on to the wedding disco in full flood right underneath us, it did go off bang on midnight, Saturday morning we went down for breakfast, it was a decent size plate, although both our eggs were undercooked, we ate it and ventured out to Dumfries, by midday I felt unwell, by 2pm I was ill, violent headache and vomiting in my Son's toilet, at approx 4pm I felt well enough to drive the 15 mins back to the Hotel, I went straight to bed for a couple of hours, by 8pm I felt well enough to go sit with my Wife for supper, there were approx 20 tables. We were greeted by an enthusiastic young man who asked us to wait as he would see if there was a table ready, there was only one table in use seating four persons, it then dawned on us that all of the tables were set for Sundays breakfast and only two tables set for dinner, we chuckled, after sitting down the menu came but to be honest there was nothing we fancied, one page was full of steaks, but we were told that Valentines menu was still available, we decided to opt out.Sunday morning I woke at 6am and again felt ill and was vomiting again, we decided to get up showered and head off home, there was nobody at reception at 7am so we left the key and exited, what we expected didnt materialise, my advice, check to see if there is a wedding on, as the noise we encountered was excessive, albeit it was someones wedding day we understand that, the Wifi was no existent in the area we were in. the place isnt dirty but it needs some attention and money spent, the staff are helpful and keen but in my opinion can only work with what they have. sorry folks. but honesty is the best policy.

Room Tip: What promised character, history, didnt materialise, the old part seems quite nice, the newer part d...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sancayetanocelt
Fiona K, Manager at Hetland Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Hetland Hall after your stay on Valentines weekend – the weather was indeed horrendous.
I am so sorry that on check –in I did not direct you to your room; I don’t think that I have ever forgot to do this before; but again, we were discussing the weather!
You were in room 15 which is in the ‘newer’ part of the hotel and I agree it is a good size (with nice views towards the Solway). It has zip and link beds which are standard practice in most hotels, though you should have had a king size quilt with this; if you didn’t, I can only apologise. Likewise if there were cobwebs and the corridor heating had not been switched on – I thank you for bringing these points to my attention.
I am unsure about your comments regarding the bathroom as it is a good size with both bath and shower available though I presume that you would have preferred a folding shower screen to a solid one.
We did have a small wedding party based in a function room, but you should have been informed of this; it is a shame that you felt unable to have a drink in the bar, which was actually being used by our other private guests.
I am very sorry that your breakfast was not cooked as you would like – a quick word with one of our waitresses would have sorted out your egg preferences – we know the importance of enjoying breakfast! I am afraid though, that I have to take issue with your implication that this had something to do with your illness – I can categorically state that we had no reports of problems (food or otherwise) from our other guests during your stay.
I apologise for your mix up at dinner as I informed the restaurant staff - after you informed me – that you would not be eating on Saturday night; I cannot though really understand your comments regarding the menus, as you were shown 3 different menus to choose from.
Sorry for writing at such length, but I appreciate that your review was written constructively, and I hope that I have replied accordingly. We undoubtedly failed in some areas, and please make yourself known to me personally if you are able to visit us again.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

we stayed at the Hetland Hall hotel during February 2014 I am 6' 7" tall and no problem getting a King size bed, room was spotless although the building is old so not a modern decor really warm and comfortable especially next to one of the open log fires in the guest areas, the FOOD was EXCELLENT at every meal including breakfast and the staff are the most helpful and friendly I have ever come across in any hotel anywhere in the world, I don't normally do reviews but this place exceeded all my expectations so I felt I had to. and fantastic value for money.

Room Tip: rooms in the main building are the best in the hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank dave f
Fiona K, General Manager at Hetland Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Thank you for the lovely review you posted regarding your stay with us.
Our Chef's were delighted with your comments and are always pleased to receive such positive feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you again to Hetland ,hopefully bringing your dog on the Trip with you next time. Kind regards.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

just had weekend here, great hotel, friendly staff; ambience of the hotel is superb, lovely spacious room, shower was easy to use and plenty hot water, food is great - top restaurant quality, breakfast menu was plentiful and varied, was so good- son and fiancée who were with us booked their wedding there before we left. highly recommended can't wait to return!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank margaretbolton52

Thank you for sending a review of your stay with us at Hetland Hall.
Your kind comments are always appreciated and I have passed them on to all Staff.
We are looking forward to working with your Son and his Fiancee on the run up to their Wedding Day and we look forward to welcoming you all back in August.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Spent a most enjoyable four days at Hetland House Hotel during end of January. Value for money was unbeatable. Lovely warm room, with great front outlook, very hospitable and pleasant
staff etc. Even our dog was made welcome. Food was excellent with lovely choice. My lovely vegetarian partner was well catered for.
Hope to visit again soon.
Matthew & Grace + Cara
Bearsden
Glasgow

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew S
Fiona K, General Manager at Hetland Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

It was very kind of you to take the time to post a review on Trip Advisor about your stay with us at Hetland Hall Hotel . I will pass on your comments to all Staff concerned .
We look forward to welcoming you back to Hetland and of course Cara.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I visited Hetland Hall Hotel last weekend to attend the wedding of my cousin at Caerlaverock Church, the reception for which was hosted by the Hotel. I could not recommend the establishment more highly. The staff were all highly attentive, very, very hard-working (in particular the barman who was working last Friday Night!) and more than capable. The rooms were inviting and pleasant and the food was simply wonderful! 10 out of 10 for service and hospitality, my only regret is that in my previous visits to Dumfries & Galloway I failed to stay with you! We were resident on the Friday and Saturday night, my brother and I shared a room in the West wing of the Hotel whilst our parents had a room in the East wing. It is a truly wonderful place for such an event and the Breakfast was as good as i've ever had! Thank you all again for a wonderful stay and for making my cousin's wedding a highly enjoyable and happy event. See you soon!

Room Tip: The more modern rooms in the West Wing of the hotel may suit families better, as they were further a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Robert_Bell_1973
Fiona K, General Manager at Hetland Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. The Wedding Day for your Cousin was really lovely and it was a pleasure to welcome you all to Hetland Hall. I will pass on your kind comments to all staff especially Sean , who was your Barman on Friday night.
We look forward to welcoming you back any time you are in the area

Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

A beautiful country house in an idyllic setting overlooking stunning views. This place has plenty of period features with gorgeous open fires. The food was plentiful and tasty and every member of staff made us feel extremely welcome and at home. They were all second to none. We cannot fault this place in any way, shape or form. This is our third visit and we will be coming back next year with members of our family. We cannot recommend this place highly enough. As regards for value for money then you cannot ask for anything better. We hope all at Hetland Hall have a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year. Alan & Linda Moore x

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alanmoore1
Fiona K, General Manager at Hetland Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely review. It was great to see you both again and always wonderful to welcome back couples that have got married in the Hotel. i will pass on your thanks to everyone and we wish you both a Merry Christmas and look forward to seeing you again in 2014.

Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a two night stay in the hotel with my parents. Both our rooms were very nice and in keeping with older house decor. The staff are very friendly and dinner on both nights was very tasty. The open log fires were fabulous to sit and relax by. A great wee break away. We will be back :-).

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank 3marie
Fiona K, General Manager at Hetland Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to pop a review on Trip Advisor. We are all so glad you enjoyed your short break with us and hope to see you all again very so.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Holiday Inn Dumfries
Best Western Dryfesdale Country House Hotel
Travelodge Dumfries
Travelodge Dumfries
#6 of 7 in Dumfries

Been to Hetland Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!