“Wedding Renewal ” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hetland Hall Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Dumfries
“Wedding Renewal ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from renewing our vows at Gretna Green staying at this hotel and had a reception here as well. I can't thank the staff enough especially Fiona who helped us organise the day from start to finish. They went above and beyond throughout ours and our friends and families stay the meals were fantastic and the room was a good standard. The reason for the stay was for the reception and the function room was perfect and the staff pulled out all the stops even organising a first class disco. I would definitely recommend here for a stay or a function every guest has sang it's praises especially the staff they are a credit to the hotel

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Fiona K, General Manager at Hetland Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review . It was an absolute pleasure to work with you both on the run up to your Ceremony and am so pleased that enjoyed every aspect of the day.

I will pass on your comments to James , who will be delighted to here that you enjoyed his Disco and to all Staff concerned.

Our best wishes go to you both and all your Families .

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Good stopping point for us for travelling up to Scotland to Loch Fyne, receptionist on arrival was very welcoming and friendly, room with view over parkland and side view to entrance car park, very large room and bathroom, warm, elegant hall with roaring fire, very nice sitting in armchairs over a glass of wine after eating the bar, struggled to get served in evening, but fine when staff did appear, found restaurant too old fashioned for us.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scarlett008
Thank you for taking the time to review Hetland Hall Hotel after your stay with us.
There are lots of positive comments which I am delighted to pass on to the staff , though I can only apologise that the Restaurant Menu wasn't to your taste but am so glad you enjoyed your Bar Meal.
We hope that you use us again on your trips North.
Altrincham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

The service at this hotel was A1 with very attentive and friendly staff. The food was very good indeed and the beds very comfortable with spacious rooms. 3 star hotel with 5 star service. Would certainly reccomend.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 16 and was well satisfied.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank dieseldavid
Fiona K, General Manager at Hetland Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thank you for your generous review. We are always very grateful when Guests take the time to review us and pass on such lovely comments. I will pass on all thanks to our Staff
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Well where do we start, Honesty I think, after a brutal drive over the A66 with the weather, we were met at the door by smokers, who seemed not to want to move, there was a bucket in situ, but not all previous smokers had used it. We were met by a pleasant employee who handed us our keys, but only directed us on request by myself, in the foyer there was a lovely log fire, and a few seats,there was a wedding party in attendance very nice as it was Valentines day, this area was the old part, character warmth history etc, on climbing the stairs we enterd through a door that was obvious the newer part of the hotel, it was cold, like walking into another hotel, we found our room, Room 15. all identified as non smoking rooms, as we requesed, the room was a good size, but on closer inspection it wasnt dirty but needed some TLC, cobwebs around the wall light, two portable radiators, the usual kettle tea coffee hot chocolate / buscuits etc, hairdryer. one wardrobe for clothes and a safe. the bathroom was tight, bath had a glass panel but we didnt try to move it as it was quite rigid, once in the shower the bath was spongey and didnt feel safe, you banged your elbows on the glass or the wall on trying to turn around, and it did take a while for the water to run hot. and if you were stood at the sink and closed the door, if someone entered they would knock you into the bath. our double bed were two singles pushed together not what we expected, but they were comfy, the pillows were very thin, and the quilt nearly fit the bed, very poor in my opinion, once settled we decided to go for a drink, but the bar was small and 5-6 deep with the wedding party, so we decided to give it a miss, after all it was their day, we gave dinner a miss as we or I had been up very early and travelled after work, we were hungry and dinner didnt start until 6pm, so we ate out and then visited our Son in Dumfries, returning late on to the wedding disco in full flood right underneath us, it did go off bang on midnight, Saturday morning we went down for breakfast, it was a decent size plate, although both our eggs were undercooked, we ate it and ventured out to Dumfries, by midday I felt unwell, by 2pm I was ill, violent headache and vomiting in my Son's toilet, at approx 4pm I felt well enough to drive the 15 mins back to the Hotel, I went straight to bed for a couple of hours, by 8pm I felt well enough to go sit with my Wife for supper, there were approx 20 tables. We were greeted by an enthusiastic young man who asked us to wait as he would see if there was a table ready, there was only one table in use seating four persons, it then dawned on us that all of the tables were set for Sundays breakfast and only two tables set for dinner, we chuckled, after sitting down the menu came but to be honest there was nothing we fancied, one page was full of steaks, but we were told that Valentines menu was still available, we decided to opt out.Sunday morning I woke at 6am and again felt ill and was vomiting again, we decided to get up showered and head off home, there was nobody at reception at 7am so we left the key and exited, what we expected didnt materialise, my advice, check to see if there is a wedding on, as the noise we encountered was excessive, albeit it was someones wedding day we understand that, the Wifi was no existent in the area we were in. the place isnt dirty but it needs some attention and money spent, the staff are helpful and keen but in my opinion can only work with what they have. sorry folks. but honesty is the best policy.

Room Tip: What promised character, history, didnt materialise, the old part seems quite nice, the newer part d...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sancayetanocelt
Fiona K, Manager at Hetland Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Hetland Hall after your stay on Valentines weekend – the weather was indeed horrendous.
I am so sorry that on check –in I did not direct you to your room; I don’t think that I have ever forgot to do this before; but again, we were discussing the weather!
You were in room 15 which is in the ‘newer’ part of the hotel and I agree it is a good size (with nice views towards the Solway). It has zip and link beds which are standard practice in most hotels, though you should have had a king size quilt with this; if you didn’t, I can only apologise. Likewise if there were cobwebs and the corridor heating had not been switched on – I thank you for bringing these points to my attention.
I am unsure about your comments regarding the bathroom as it is a good size with both bath and shower available though I presume that you would have preferred a folding shower screen to a solid one.
We did have a small wedding party based in a function room, but you should have been informed of this; it is a shame that you felt unable to have a drink in the bar, which was actually being used by our other private guests.
I am very sorry that your breakfast was not cooked as you would like – a quick word with one of our waitresses would have sorted out your egg preferences – we know the importance of enjoying breakfast! I am afraid though, that I have to take issue with your implication that this had something to do with your illness – I can categorically state that we had no reports of problems (food or otherwise) from our other guests during your stay.
I apologise for your mix up at dinner as I informed the restaurant staff - after you informed me – that you would not be eating on Saturday night; I cannot though really understand your comments regarding the menus, as you were shown 3 different menus to choose from.
Sorry for writing at such length, but I appreciate that your review was written constructively, and I hope that I have replied accordingly. We undoubtedly failed in some areas, and please make yourself known to me personally if you are able to visit us again.

Travellers are raving about these Dumfries hotels

Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

we stayed at the Hetland Hall hotel during February 2014 I am 6' 7" tall and no problem getting a King size bed, room was spotless although the building is old so not a modern decor really warm and comfortable especially next to one of the open log fires in the guest areas, the FOOD was EXCELLENT at every meal including breakfast and the staff are the most helpful and friendly I have ever come across in any hotel anywhere in the world, I don't normally do reviews but this place exceeded all my expectations so I felt I had to. and fantastic value for money.

Room Tip: rooms in the main building are the best in the hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank dave f
Thank you for the lovely review you posted regarding your stay with us.
Our Chef's were delighted with your comments and are always pleased to receive such positive feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you again to Hetland ,hopefully bringing your dog on the Trip with you next time. Kind regards.
manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

just had weekend here, great hotel, friendly staff; ambience of the hotel is superb, lovely spacious room, shower was easy to use and plenty hot water, food is great - top restaurant quality, breakfast menu was plentiful and varied, was so good- son and fiancée who were with us booked their wedding there before we left. highly recommended can't wait to return!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank margaretbolton52
Thank you for sending a review of your stay with us at Hetland Hall.
Your kind comments are always appreciated and I have passed them on to all Staff.
We are looking forward to working with your Son and his Fiancee on the run up to their Wedding Day and we look forward to welcoming you all back in August.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

Spent a most enjoyable four days at Hetland House Hotel during end of January. Value for money was unbeatable. Lovely warm room, with great front outlook, very hospitable and pleasant
staff etc. Even our dog was made welcome. Food was excellent with lovely choice. My lovely vegetarian partner was well catered for.
Hope to visit again soon.
Matthew & Grace + Cara
Bearsden
Glasgow

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matthew S
Fiona K, General Manager at Hetland Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
It was very kind of you to take the time to post a review on Trip Advisor about your stay with us at Hetland Hall Hotel . I will pass on your comments to all Staff concerned .
We look forward to welcoming you back to Hetland and of course Cara.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Friars Carse Country House Hotel
Best Western Station Hotel
Trigony House Hotel
Trigony House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Closeburn

Been to Hetland Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!