“Wedding venue”
Review of Hetland Hall Hotel

Hetland Hall Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We held our reception here and we all stayed 2 nights. The hotel is lovely with plenty of character. The staff are all friendly and helpful.

It is a lovely location for a short break or a special occasion.

The gardens were lovely for some special pictures.

Highly recommended

Room Tip: The rooms in the old part of hotel have plenty of character.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marion B
Fiona K, General Manager at Hetland Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to pop a mention on Trip Advisor.
It was a pleasure to work with you both on the run up to your Wedding Day and we wish you all the best for the Future.

There are newer reviews for Hetland Hall Hotel

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had a great time at the Hetland Hall.
The 2 main things that made the stay were the staff and everywhere was lovely and clean.
Yes some parts of the hotel are a bit dated and could do with re-vamp.
We ate in the lounge on our first night there and the food was resonably priced and good.
The wedding party food wasn't as good and the bride and groom were dissapointed but it was perfectly edible and plenty of it.
Breakfast was good, one tip is to get there early as otherwise there is a bit of a bottleneck.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ohwellnevermind
Fiona K, General Manager at Hetland Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you so much for giving us a review following you stay with us for your friend's wedding.

We are all glad you had a good time and I believe Evening and the Disco was thoroughly enjoyed by All.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

An old building with a bit of character. A bit tired in some areas but thats to be expected in a grand old building. Room was very comfortable, lovely breakfast and pleasant staff. Stayed 2 nights and would recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank eilb

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. We are all glad that you enjoyed your stay and I will pass on you comments to all concerned.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

This was my first meal at Heatland . I enjoyed a lovely meal with my famiy at this hotel. We ate in the restaurant, one of our party had fish and chips from bar menu and this was not a problem . Well presented and lovely friendly service. Will definitely go back.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Denese H
Fiona K, General Manager at Hetland Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review .We are glad you enjoyed your meal and will pass on your comments to Kelsey , our Chef that weekend.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

(In case, like myself, someone is looking to see if there is a pool here, there isn't! It seems they did have one before but not now. I couldn't find anything to tell me either way when I looked)

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in May as a sort of birthday treat and 'babymoon' with EasyBreaks. Dinner, bed, and breakfast for £158 (for both of us for both nights).
The grounds are so beautiful, and there is ample parking (though maybe not if there is a wedding on). The area is well kept and there are plenty of birds and rabbits around to look at.

The reception area is nice, and has the smell of a real fire. The staff member who welcomed us was polite and friendly, and answered the questions we asked her. The main staircase was well looked after and there was a large fireplace in the lobby.

We stayed in Room 1A which had a beautiful view over the lawn at the front. I was surprised at how large the room was, and the bathroom was also pretty bit. Unfortunately, someone had peed in the loo and it hadn't been flushed, however the toilet roll was folded into a point so someone had clearly either not cleaned the toilet or had used it after cleaning it.

The windows could do with a bit of attention. They are old wood ones, and as such have dirt around them when they're opened. I think if they are wiped down at every check out, then it wouldn't be like this.

There was a nice supply of tea, coffee, biscuits, and hot chocolate in the room, and we were given extra milk when I left a note the following morning. There is some information in the room that lets you know about the facilities, although there is some poor punctuation in the menu which offers various choice's of filling's for sandwiches. In a place as nice as Hetland Hall, I'd expect someone to have looked over the information and menus.

We booked in for dinner for the first night. I had melon to start, the duck supplement for main, and profiteroles for dessert. My husband had the pork main and profiteroles dessert, I can't remember his starter.
The food was amazing. The duck came with cracked black pepper and honey vegetables, but I couldn't eat these as they burnt my mouth off! The sauce (an orange and vanilla reduction) was the best thing I've ever tasted. I just wanted to drink it!

The breakfast was nice, and very filling You can help yourself to cereal and fruit etc. and then order a cooked breakfast too. On both days I had to go to sleep after breakfast as it was so filling.
The second night my dinner was soup, risotto, then cranachen, and my husband had haggis balls, duck (as it was so delicious the night before) and creme brulee. We actually both saved our bread rolls to dip in the orange sauce! The service was wonderful and the lady doing the waiting was very polite and remembered our room number. I was a little confused about the drinks, however, as the first night we were offered a glass of wine (or a soft drink for my very pregnant self) as part of the deal but had to pay for drinks the second night.

Again, the menu had grammatical errors and made the very nice restaurant look cheap and uncaring.

The information given in the room does say there is a mini-putt on site, but we couldn't find it when we went for a walk. We didn't ask, however, so it may just be somewhere else. There is a nice wooden children's play park in the grounds.

All in all, I would recommend this place for a visit as it was well worth the money we paid and the food was delicious.

Room Tip: The hall is set back off the road so you can't really hear the traffic unless you have the windo...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Fiona K, General Manager at Hetland Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you so much for your lovely review of Hetland Hall after your Stay.

I will pass on your comments to all Staff involved especially Laura and her Team.

Could I just clear up that the break you booked through the agent included drinks on the first evening but not the second - this is just one of the many offers Easy breaks runs with us.

We hope you will visit again and we can direct you to the Pitch and putt situated on the Lawn in front of our patio.

wishing you all the best with your new arrival

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Me and my husband went for a meal yesterday for our birthday,s as always trying to find somewhere new to go we decided on hetland hall wow! From start to finish the meal was gorgeous my husband wasnt keen on the starters they had on the restaurant menu and the staff were so lovely an helpful they gave him the bar menu and asked the chef for a few other options to the point he became spoiled for choice on the main we had the porkfillet and again my husband being quite a picky eater wasnt keen on th peppercorn sauce an yet again the staff went to see what they could do they were so lovely helpful and friendly and again we were presented with plenty of options i had a sweet and could not fault the white chocolate cheese cake if anyones lookin for a lovely place to eat and excellent value where yous will be treated like royalty this is the place to go! I cant wait to come back especially as they catered to my
picky husband needs where as most places its just what is on the menu an thats it! Cant wait to come back for our next special occasion

• Stayed: May 2014
Fiona K, General Manager at Hetland Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for your lovely review regarding the meal you had with us. I am so glad we could accommodate your Husbands wishes - although they were absolutely no problem and our Chef Laura was only too happy to help.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Difficult to actually comment on this hotel as, having travelled 353 miles from home which took 5.5 hours, I was surprised to find the hotel had no rooms available despite a confirmation email regarding our booking from booking.com. Not a great start to our tour of Scotland and we never really got to the route cause of what had gone wrong... To be fair, they did suggest another local hotel (Powfoot Golf Club Resort) but this turned out to be dire....

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nick J

We are Sorry that we had not received confirmation of your booking when our Hotel was full. This was due to an issue with the website that you had booked through . I fully appreciate that this is no consolation at all when you travelled all that way, but as you kindly point out , we did everything we could to find you alternative accommodation. Please let me know directly if you are able to stay with us at some time in the future , and hopefully we can show you what we have to offer.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Holiday Inn Dumfries
Best Western Dryfesdale Country House Hotel
Travelodge Dumfries
Travelodge Dumfries
#6 of 7 in Dumfries

Been to Hetland Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!