“Ideal for road trip few nights stay.”
Review of Hetland Hall Hotel

Hetland Hall Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Ideal for road trip few nights stay.”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

helpful staff found a ground floor room as I couldn't manage the stairs. Excellent breakfast with lots of choice (but haggis & black pudding looked like cheap bought frozen beefburgers) & quick efficient service.
In need of decoration & maintenance. No clock anywhere. Shower room in disabled ground floor room was a wet room and the floor didn't slope towards the drainage, meaning you were standing in a huge puddle even away from the shower area which gradually flowed out onto the carpet in bedroom we had to make a damn with all our towels.Problem with disabled ground floor room also was that was in is old part of building next to public toilets & opposite bar so noisy in evening & had sash windows we couldn't open & no view at all(brick wall & trade door). Very comfortable double bed though & an extra single bed for carer or child. They let us have this room for 2 nights then had to move us upstairs to the modern part of building. In fact this room turned out to be a little gem dual aspect we could open floor length doors & windows all round and watch the sheep & the view while having fresh air at night. Queern sized bed wasn't comfortable though was like a hard board. Nothing near to buy a reasonably priced evening meal - all were a car ride away about 8 - 10 miles and hotel restaurant far too expensive. I have since seen on other people's reviews that we could have bought a bar meal in the evening - nobody told us this when we enquired where we could buy a meal anywhere in the vicinity in the the evening just pushed their expensive restaurant menu.

Room Tip: ask in advance if you need a ground floor room (the only one is disabled).
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Booked first, then checked the reviews and thought, oh dear. However, a completely different experience to some. Booked into room 24 which was very spacious, king size comfortable bed and pillows and large bathroom with new bath, shower and basin. The décor wasn't the most inspiring but perfectly acceptable. Staff at check in, check out, dinner and breakfast could not have been better. Breakfast and dinner (3 courses and coffee), where I had the best steak in a long time, were very good. All this for £72 for 2.
I was in Edinburgh recently and a chain hotel was asking £219 for room only per night so I think my £72 was great value.

1 Thank Robert W
world traveller
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We booked this hotel on a offer, sad to say we think that is why they had a full hotel, it did look to us that othere's all had taken up on the deal.
We went for a superior room and we would definately not have said this was superior, we have stayed, around the world at hotels costing less and had much better standard of furnishings and bathroom facilities.
Its a big old house. It does have beautiful grounds. It has to be said their do appear to be having a struggle with the upkeep. As others have said exremelt tired, furnishings are dreadful. The tv and seperately the tea table are both these little cost, fold away wooden things. The general radatior was not working, nor could it be enganged. There was a cheap electric heater to plug in, the minute I touched it the little feet fell apart, which was had to attept to get it back on its feet, we did laugh but it should not have had to be this way. Also we coiuld not get the window opone as it was painted shut, this overlooked the front of house onto lawns which would have been nice to have fresh air looking on there.
We though of staying for dinner that night but the menu was not to be put on the notice board until after 4 o'clock we were told be reception, and we had gone out and found a great Italian called Carlo's in Castle Douglas.
Maintenance is desperately needed for this oncde beautiful old place. Reception staff could be a lot better- in their dress and approach and they should close the door into I believe an office that guests can see into, its a riot ! Cheap desk and their personal items lying around

The bed was confortable and there was lots of hot water.

Breakfast was slow, also every item on the plate lacking in any taste, looks like they are purchasing cheap product as there was definately no wow factor to eating it.

I guess for the one night it was just OK, safe to say it will be our one and only stay at this establishment.

Room Tip: It looks a good deal, sadly its not a nice experience.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Dumfries hotels

swansea
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed here with Leisuretime coach holidays - a story in itself as the coach put on was terrible. It was a 57 seater as they had overbooked and were obviously too greedy to turn down the extra money, so sub contracted a bigger bus. Even more restricted legroom than normal, uncomfortable seats (found out that the worst ones had the seat cushions on the wrong way around!) noisy, dirty and an intermittent smell of exhaust fumes from the emergency exit door! We endured a 12 1/2 hour journey from South Wales for the Edinburgh Tattoo.
On arrival, one couple with a wheelchair for the lady had a downstairs room. Everyone else was upstairs. As always the majority of passengers were quite old (myself and my sister in law were possibly the youngest by at least 10 years!) and were in their 70/80's. The stairs were a massive problem since there was no lift, and this wasn't made clear when booking, so not the hotels fault. Rooms were adequate, if a little dated. The problems came when food was served. It took them 2 HOURS to serve a 3 course meal! We gave our orders for all 3 courses to a waitress, and half an hour later they would start to be brought out! This evidently meant that they were making the starters AFTER the orders had come to the kitchen instead of a small percentage being prepared in advance in readiness. Even the soup wasn't completely hot. Service was excruciatingly slow! The coffee was 'served' in the lounge - DIY style from flasks which had been there for approx 2 1/2 hours and so was lukewarm.

I pity any wedding meal here, there may be divorce before the dessert comes out!!

On the day we were due to go to the Tattoo, our driver asked for an early lunch, and at 12, every person was in the dining room. Another 2 HOUR meal! We had been told on the brochure that Edinburgh was 1 hour away, only to be told it was actually 2 1/2 hours away! By the time our driver got through to the drop off point it was nearly 5 and our 'free time' had diminished. The Tattoo itself was great, but would have been better if leisuretime had taken the age and infirmity of the other passengers and booked seats which were NOT at the very top of the stands.
Another 2 1/2 hours drive back to the hotel saw a group of exhausted passengers welcomed by the night porter with plates of sandwiches.
Our final morning, and breakfast was at 7.30. one couple from our table ordered porridge, and gave up waiting for it. one lady ordered poached egg on toast, and was presented with a plate with half a slice of toast and a mess of egg white - NO YOLK!! But don't forget the little extra in the presentation - egg shells! After I had finally managed to get our waitress to take my order - repeated twice, I was presented with a totally different breakfast, which I sent back to the kitchen. I eventually went to reception to complain as, by this time, the particular waitress was blatantly ignoring my requests for attention. I finally asked a different member of staff to take my order again and he almost got it right, bringing out a 'full English' without an egg. He was grabbed by the arm and told by the other member of staff to 'get an egg on a plate and bring it out to her' - no apology then. Well what was I expecting, after all, it had only taken them ONE HOUR to serve me my breakfast!! I finished 3 minutes before the coach was due to leave. The receptionist couldn't explain the amount of complaints from us, as it was the HEAD CHEF on duty that day. I suggested that she get a new Chef, one who can actually organise a completely new set of waiting staff.
I have NEVER given as bad a review as this, and do not wish to again.

Room Tip: Don't bother as it's too far from anything, only a garden centre to walk to.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank bigbirdSwansea
Annan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

had a wedding here in july 2014 and found staff to be unprofessional . the food for wedding meal was that bad people were returning it and did not get it replaced as it was re heated from wedding previous day . avoid at all cost must be worse hotel in scotland. the rooms apart from 5 that they show u round are ok . the rest are disgusting . please dont go as it will ruin your day

• Stayed July 2014
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

A beautiful old building set in extremely well managed grounds, Hetland Hall has so much going for it but nonetheless is almost a miss thanks to cramped parking, poorly kept driveway and a bathroom desperate for a makeover (in particular, the shower area was very badly finished and in sub-par condition). In addition, the free wifi was broken on both of our stays, which might be a problem for some though it made little difference for us as we were trying to get away from things, not stay glued to our phones / laptop.

On the plus side, the bed and bedroom were clean, extremely comfortable and the staff were both courteous and attentive. There is a £10 per stay surcharge for pets which is well below average and (thankfully) a poop bin is provided to keep the grounds clean.

All-in-all, will be coming back next year because, despite the bathroom niggles, I had a fantastic nights sleep and felt genuinely welcomed by the staff there.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband I were given 1 night DBB in this hotel as a gift for our wedding anniversary. The main building is beautiful and bags full of character, as well a beautiful grounds. We were allocated our room very quickly at reception and walked through the hotel to what I will call an "annexe" Unfortunatly this room is not what we expected and certainly not a patch on the stunning rooms shown on the website. It was old and dated and in need of a serious refurb. However, we spoke to the receptionist (did not get her name) and we were very quickly moved to another room without any question. She was very helpful and friendly as were all the staff in the hotel. We had a four post bedroom and it was beautiful, exactly what we expected, stunning. The food was fantastic for our evening meal 3 beautiful courses, I had pheasant my husband had sirloin. Sadly not the same standard for breakfast but it was ok. We would stay again and we had a wonderful 10 year anniversary stay.

2 Thank MrsO1976
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Holiday Inn Dumfries
Best Western Dryfesdale Country House Hotel
Travelodge Dumfries
Travelodge Dumfries
#6 of 7 in Dumfries

Been to Hetland Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!