Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Abbey Arms Hotel(New Abbey)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Kings Arms(Lockerbie)
View Hotel
All reviewsleisure facilitiestribute nightswimming poolreivers restaurantsteam room and saunaelvis tributetrouser presskippersbreakfast was buffet stylegreat weekendgolf tripcourse mealtown centreboth nightsbit datedweekend breaklovely hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I was quite disappointed when I arrived and was given a very small single room quite close to the stairs. The whole place smelt like cooking fat, including the room so I requested a move - a little better, but still smelt like cooking fat. This request was no problem and I also requested an extra blanket, which was again no problem.
The rooms themselves are very clean, however for the price they are extremely small.
There was no option for room only, breakfast being included.
No option for brown toast, just white, however breakfast appeared fine, although I did not try the hot food. Service was not personal - no 'hello, how are you', just quiet service.
When I checked out, again I was not asked if I had enjoyed my stay or if everything had been OK - Just checked out.
For the price I felt disappointed in the room given.
However, the room was very clean and my requests to be moved and for a blanket were actioned very quickly.
The smell can be quite offputting and the lack of customer care was disappointing.
I would probably look for somewhere else in the area if I need to stay again.

Room Tip: Don't book a single room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank workaholicScotland
MatthewWallace, General Manager at Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

I am obviously disappointed to read the contents of your review but pleased to find that our staff responded quickly to your request to be allocated another room.
I understand that our receptionist also made a point of calling you after the move to check that you were happy with the alternative room offered.
As far as rates in the hotel are concerned I understand that a commisionable rate of £61.95 inc VAT was charged for Bed and Breakfast through Laterooms.
I do not consider this to be an unreasonable rate for a three star hotel with leisure facilities offering free WiFi and parking.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

First time at this hotel and dont think I would go back 1st room the wardrobe smelled like someone died in it 2nd room wasnt ready 3rd room looked much better but the drafts coming in the window made the room freezing the hotel receptionist was very nice and they gave us a heater it helped a bit. We were half board breakfast was great but you only get so much to spend on dinner and you could not get a 3 course without going over it. The pool is very nice. The entertainment was good but you had to buy a ticket. This is a very old hotel but still looks grand inside shame that I was disappointed with it .

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank goanywheresunny

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to our hotel.
We offer a number of packages in the hotel and the allocation for dinner can vary depending on what package has been booked. The amount allocated to dinner is clearly highlighted on all confirmations and it is always a good idea to check what's actually included to avoid any disappointment.
Unfortunately when a heavily discounted rate is offered we are unable to include entertainment when our Cabaret Weekends are sold at a higher rate.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

I now rate the Cairndale as my favourite hotel in the UK - and I stay in hotels a lot for business both in the UK and abroad. This is not your usual plastic hotel that you get in hotel chains but an hotel full of individual character. Those folk that criticise the place for its outdated decor miss the point entirely - that is one of the major plus points that gives it such charm. The staircase comes right out of Hercule Poirot film set - it should be listed!! Unlike a lot of hotels which are now looking very tired and jaded this hotel is spotless and the paintwork bright and very well maintained. The challenge is to keep it that way and ensure any chips or scratches are painted. The cleaning staff need congratulating for maintaining high standards

Leisure club is well maintained and the gym is spotless. The sauna is one of the most efficient I have ever used - it was really hot like saunas should be not lukewarm as you find in some other hotels. Only point I would make is the towels need to be renewed - they seem to be wearing a bit thin.

Staff were very friendly and helpful but I have always found this whenever I have the chance to stay.

Very competitively priced for my stay - no complaints on that score at all.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Charlie B

Thank you for taking the time to post such an excellent review following your recent visit to the hotel.
Your comments are particularly welcomed by everyone in the hotel who try their utmost to provide a high standard of service to our guests.
Your comments really are much appreciated by all concerned. Thank you!

Reviewed 14 March 2013

I booked this hotel as it was rather handy for my business trip, but I admit to some concerns from the reviews on tripadvisor.

The best point is that the staff are well trained, friendly, efficient and helpful. From check in, to bar, restaurant and leisure club, they were all fantastic.

Also, the entire package of Dinner, Bed and Breakfast is well priced and when a few drinks were added it came to around £95. Not bad.

The leisure club is reasonably equipped, with cardio machines, static weight machines and a free weight area. I had a good workout, but never used the pool, although some did.
I was a little hindered by the height of the gym area and when standing on the treadmill I had no headroom to run, so had to go into the other area on a rather antiquated machine to run. However, I am 6ft 4ins, so this won't affect many visitors.

I was given a rather strange room for my requirements, a family/disabled room. It had wider doors, 3 beds, grab handles in the newly appointed bathroom and fixtures for disabled people. It didn't hinder me much, but whilst at breakfast looking at some of the clientele, I thought they would have benefited from this more than I (and I sincerely hope I am not offending anyone with that statement). My only trouble with the room was that the bed (which was 2 singles pushed together) at the open side nearest to the en suite, had near collapsed and as such leaned towards one side. My thoughts are that this side is used by people getting in and out of wheelchairs and had had excessive wear. Thus I slept on the other side. Also, the room faced the academy leisure building opposite the hotel, with it's bus stops and late closing. It was therefore quite noisy until gone 11pm and then got noisy around 7 am.

My evening meal was very tasty, however I had an issue with seeing the "chef" cook your meal from your seat. This is interesting in a high class venue with chef running around getting things ready, but here he clunk dings veg and sauces in his constantly used microwave.
My main came without my requested vegetables, so the waitress went back for them. A scoop of carrot/turnip and a spoonful of peas went clunk ding in 2 minutes and then they came to the table. £2.50 thank you!! Doesn't really have the same appeal. And as such, they were nuked to mouth burning levels, so were eaten after the main course.

Certain areas of the hotel looked old and in need of refurbishment, although others looked as though this had recently been done, if in a Art Deco fashion and colour scheme that isn't really my taste (a bit Blackpool does Hollywood for me!! Sorry).

However, the hotel was holding 3 mini conferences involving local businesses, had a junior sports team staying and there were plenty of people in for breakfast, so it is a well used establishment.
The breakfast was varied and again pretty tasty, even though the much despised "hot trays" were in evidence again. The staff, as always, were wonderful.

So a bit of a mixed bag really. I think they are trying to improve which should be commended. But some of the key areas that would get them from average to good or even better, are the areas that seem to be overlooked at the moment.

Certainly not a disappointment, but not first choice on my list of hotels to re-book.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the rear of the hotel for a quieter nights sleep.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Booked a night in the Cairndale as we were down in Dumfries and looking for a hotel with a pool, sauna and facilities.

The room was as expected, clean tidy, fairly small bit big enough for a one night stay. The road outside prevented me from opening the window so it was very warm, even with the heating switched off. The bathroom had been recently refitted.

We didn’t see much of the rest of the hotel as we ate out, due to the reviews of the restaurant not being that great. Breakfast was as expected in a large hotel of this nature, more focused on quantity than quality, but to a standard that kept us happy and ensured we didn't leave the table hungry. There was a wide selection of foods and the staff were good and helpful.

The leisure facilities made the stay for us as we were looking for somewhere to relax for a while on the day of our arrival. They form part of a separate health club so may be busy at peak times but are very good. If the hotel didn't have these facilities I think it would struggle to attract customers, certainly at the current prices charged.

An acceptable but uninspiring experience but overall no real issues to report. We got what we expected, a fairly standard large 3 star hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a room to the rear of the hotel not overlooking the road outside.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple