“SEVICE AND QUALITY OF FOOD”

The Swan Kingholm Quay
Ranked #16 of 140 Restaurants in Dumfries
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Swan is on the Quay less than 2 mile from the town centre of Dumfries with great views, beer garden and easy parking. Opens 7 days a week from 12noon for lunch and 5pm for dinner. Serving quality traditional pub food with a full bar to include real ale and is family and disable friendly. Enjoy food outdoors in the summer in the beautiful beer garden and terrace and in the winter a warm welcome awaits you with the 2 log fires in the pub.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Last Thursday my wife and I went to the Swan for dinner with friends who recommended the Swan.
We arrived at 7-20pm for our booking which was at 7-30 and were shown to our table; we waited approximately 15 minutes before any staff asked us is we would like a drink or what we would like to eat,even though the restaurant was not particularly busy , in fact I myself had to go to the bar and ask one of the staff if there was any chance that we could get a drink.
The drinks finally arrived and we ordered our food which arrived after 20 minutes; the waitress who brought the food just placed the food on the table along with the cutlery and the napkins but did not even put in place the napkins or the cutlery for each diner.
When my chips arrived with the steak pie ,I advised the waitress that they were luke warm and could she replace them, which she did; when the new chips arrived they seemed to be the original chips that she had taken away and in my opinion had just been put in a deep frier and returned to the table as they were over cooked and on top of this the veg with the Pie was again just luke warm.
My wife ordered sweet chilli chicken and this was so hot that it was not pleasant to eat which is not the way sweet chilli chicken is normally served.
Had we not been with friends who actually frequent the Swan on a regular basis I would have sent the food back and walked out of the restaurant once every one had finished there meals,it took the staff around 20 minutes to clear away the plates and at no time during our meal did any of the staff come to our table and ask how the meal was and even when we were paying the bill did the person in charge ask how our meals and service was.
Having recently moved to Dumfries, we will certainly not be using the Swan again or recommend it to anyone else.
David McConnell

1  Thank DaveMcConnell

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Lovely location, excellent friendly staff and well priced quality food.
And great outdoor seating!

Would definitely go back!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

In our experience one of the best restaurants in the Dumfries area. Located in a pretty road opposite the River Nith. We found the service good and staff friendly and attentive. Menu is varied and food good. And on our visit in unseasonal good weather for Scotland, the opportunity to sit outside in the sunshine was being appreciated by many people. Should you get bored inside the restaurant amuse yourself by counting how many different wallpapers have been used for the décor!

Reviewed 19 May 2018

We had been recommended to go to The Swan as we really wanted fish for lunch. I opted for the haddock and prawn mornay and my partner had battered fish and chips. I think I spotted a prawn in my dish but can't be sure. If it was a prawn it was the smallest one I have ever seen - smaller than my pinky fingernail. In addition, the fish was tough and dry so overall not a good start. My partner's meal arrived and the batter was burnt. The fish inside was okay but parts of the batter were inedible.

1  Thank Pippamadonna
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

This was a visit for a birthday just 4 of us and had been a while since was last their. Food was good but have to say was not impressed with the service! They were to be fair busy but did not seem to be any organisation of staff seeing to section of tables, after main meal plates were cleaered and asked for dessert menu after waiting maybe 10 to 15 mins it was obvious it had been forgotten, so stopped waitress and asked if we could have the menu she brought them straight away! But then even she walked by few times and didnt ask would you like to order the desserts. So eventually had to stop the male waitor and ask him for can we order the sweets please,so guys lovely place to come for your meal but need to be little bit better attentative with taking orders a think.

2  Thank Paula B